Why in the world boot with 16 colors?

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Camiga

Why in the world boot with 16 colors?

Post by Camiga »

Why in the workd does this happen sometimes to me???

http://scacom.bplaced.net/aos4/20150412_213647.jpg

This pic Comes instead of the black/Grey Kickstart Thing. It will Change Colors from time to time and the boot Sound will Play, but you never can reach workbench, it just does not disappear.

I have a Amiga ONE 500, SAM 460 EX (not CR), Toshiba 2 TB HDD, 2 GB RAM, Radeaon Graphics Card and SATA port Card. I have a clean new install of Amiga OS 4.1 Update 6 on my HDD as HD0: parition with SFS/00 (block size512 was recommended to me). This Hardware configuration was sold officially by Amiga dealer.

I had a lot of trouble with blck size 1024 like it was delivered (I bought it used but the guy owning it before never changed anything and had Update 2 on it still).

So I am angry that this happens all the time why cant it boot reliable??? Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Someone paid over 1000 Euros for this? Really? I am a but upset by it all. Sound is not configured right, USB not always working, etc. Who did beta test this? I am the first one? Sorry but this really is so annoying.

Please help.
Raziel

Re: Why in the world boot with 16 colors?

Post by Raziel »

I have seen this on my XE when the gfx driver was crashing...

Do you have a serial cable and the possibility to log the boot process?

Did you try stripping the machine to the bare minimum (hdd, gfx board) to see if the crash persists?
So I am angry that this happens all the time why cant it boot reliable??? Sometimes it works and sometimes not.
It might be because it's used hardware and the guy selling it to you "forgot" to tell you about certain flaws it's suffering?
Sound is not configured right, USB not always working, etc. Who did beta test this? I am the first one? Sorry but this really is so annoying.
Don't blame the developer, blame the first user ;-)

There can be many reasons why it' s acting up like that, there might be one of the cards you have dying (or cold soldering or something), RAM problems, maybe even your PSU...hard to tell.
Try to strip it down and step by step find out why it' s doing that.

A sertial log would be most helpful right now

BTW: Welcome to the forums :-D
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Camiga:

You can be sure that it was not like that when it was delivered. Either the previous owner has screwed up the installation, you have accidentally changed something or the updates from Update 2 to Update 6 have failed.

Since you can't be sure of what is there, I would suggest that you perform a new clean installation of OS 4.1. The best thing to install would be Final Edition, but if you are reluctant to spend another EU30, then you will have to go through a clean install of Update 1 and then do all the updates 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, testing at each stage. You can't install Update 6 over Update 1, 2, 3, or 4, all the previous updates have to be done first.

The Final Edition is a much safer choice. Start with a new clean partition (500 MB is quite big enough for the system), format it with SFS\0 and 512-byte blocks, then install the system into that.

When you have a working system, make another partition for all your "stuff". Don't put it on the system partition, leave that clean so that you can update it easily in the future.
cheers
tony
Camiga

Post by Camiga »

Hello,

Thank you. I hope I can get it to work.

> I have seen this on my XE when the gfx driver was crashing...

OK, how can I make that work?

> Do you have a serial cable and the possibility to log the boot process?

Well not that easy now. How can I do that? Connect it with an Amiga 500?

> Did you try stripping the machine to the bare minimum (hdd, gfx board) to see if the crash persists?

No. I did not connect anything anyways, all t has is graphic Card and SATA Card, HDD and DVD.

> Don't blame the developer, blame the first user ;-)

Hey, that is me :lol:

> There can be many reasons why it' s acting up like that, there might be one of the cards you have dying (or cold soldering or something),
> RAM problems, maybe even your PSU...hard to tell.

Well all new, rarly used stuff.

> Try to strip it down and step by step find out why it' s doing that.

Maybe I can try without graphics Card but why did I buy it when I cannot use it?

> BTW: Welcome to the forums :-D

Thank you.

TONYW
> You can be sure that it was not like that when it was delivered. Either the previous owner has screwed up the installation, you
> have accidentally changed something or the updates from Update 2 to Update 6 have failed.

Well it was devlivered like that with wrong file System, always throwing DSI-error (Data storage Interrupt) when copying files or launching RunInUAE. The previous owner did NOTHING with it except to boot it up a few times. He did not install anything, and he told me OS came installed like I got it.

I then updated from Update 2 to 3, 4, 5, 6. I booted everytime in between updates. It always worked, except update 6 (first boot = 16 Colors).

> Since you can't be sure of what is there, I would suggest that you perform a new clean installation of OS 4.1.

I did yesterday. First boot with Update 6 = 16 Colors.

> The best thing to install would be Final Edition, but if you are reluctant to spend another EU30, then you will have to go through a clean
> install of Update 1

I do not have Update 1. The CD is called "Amiga 4.1 OS Update 2". How can I get Update 1?

> and then do all the updates 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, testing at each stage. You can't install Update 6 over Update 1, 2, 3, or 4, all the previous
> updates have to be done first.

I did.

> The Final Edition is a much safer choice. Start with a new clean partition (500 MB is quite big enough for the system), format it
> with SFS\0 and 512-byte blocks, then install the system into that.

I did. HDD Partition 1 is 50 GB. I have 2 TB at all (5 Partitions)

> When you have a working system, make another partition for all your "stuff". Don't put it on the system partition, leave that clean so
> that you can update it easily in the future.

I will do. But I want it to work.

Any help appreciated. I will try around more. Always when this error Comes, the Screen says "no Signal" for a short time. If you reboot then, it will mostly work. I do not get it why it works one time and not other time.

Camiga
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

I'm with Tony here...spend the 30 € to get yourself AmigaOS4.1 FE, drop all the other versions and updates and install FE to a fresh partition.

You'll have much less grey hair to puill out ;-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Camiga wrote:I do not have Update 1. The CD is called "Amiga 4.1 OS Update 2". How can I get Update 1?
You shouldn't need to. Tony misremembers, I think, it should be okay to start with Update 2, which is a full install CD.

But after that, you will have to struggle with all the other updates one at a time - or make it easy and buy ... well, it's already been said and repeated ;-).

Best regards,

Niels