Installation of Radeon HD VisionTek HD 7750 card not working

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
WeiXing3D

Installation of Radeon HD VisionTek HD 7750 card not working

Post by WeiXing3D »

Here is another case of a SAM460ex allergic to the upgrade of a Radeon HD card.

I recently purchased a VisionTek 7750 PCIE 1GB GDDR5 SFF card, which I'm trying to make it work without success. This is what I have done and I'm experiencing so far:

1. Updated radeonhd.chip from my current 1.7 version to 2.10. Checked in shell and it updated correctly.
2. Downloaded and installed RadeonHD Southern Islands, and as per Hans in another forum, it sounds that everything should be fine.
3. Replaced my current Gygabyte GV-R4650C card with the new VisionTek 7750, and I got nothing. The computer is not sending any signals to the monitor (LG HD with 3 video ports: VGA, DVI and HDMI). I've been using HDMI for 2 years now without any problems, and using 1920 x 1080 for resolution.
4. Tried using the other video ports VGA and DVI and nothing as well.

What am I doing next?
1. Update UBoot, which by the way I just downloaded after many attempts.
2. If the UBoot update doesn't work, I will replace my existing 350 Watts PSU for one with more juice. IF RECOMMENDED, so please confirm if necessary.

NOTE: I'm trying to run the utility check_460_baseclock, but I'm getting the following error message: "file is not executable" Any suggestions as of what I may be doing wrong?

Any help in getting this upgrade to work will be greatly appreciated.
WeiXing3D

Re: Installation of Radeon HD VisionTek HD 7750 card not wor

Post by WeiXing3D »

UPDATE:
I managed to update the UBoot after verifying that my SAM460ex is a 50 baseclock, and after making the utility executable.

The system is now updated with the latest UBoot 2015.

Now I have to wait for my son to give me a hand swapping the gfx card back in again. My son is in the business of building gaming PC's, so is very handy with hardware upgrades.

I'll let you know how it goes later. Fingers crossed.
WeiXing3D

Post by WeiXing3D »

WeiXing3D wrote:UPDATE:
I managed to update the UBoot after verifying that my SAM460ex is a 50 baseclock, and after making the utility executable.

The system is now updated with the latest UBoot 2015.

Now I have to wait for my son to give me a hand swapping the gfx card back in again. My son is in the business of building gaming PC's, so is very handy with hardware upgrades.

I'll let you know how it goes later. Fingers crossed.
UPDATE July 5th, 2015 - 4:49 PM Pacific Time
After completing UBoot update, we put the VisionTek HD7750 gfx card, but again no luck. We tried connecting to the monitor with HDMI, DVI and VGA, with no results in either case.

There is no signal from the computer to the monitor.

The 7750 card was tested again in a PC and it works fine.

The instructions in the booklet that came with card, and also a reminder I have received from another user in a different forum, speak of making sure to connect the card to power, but my card doesn't have the supposed 4-pin power connection. See pictures here:
ddni

Post by ddni »

Hi I know that you stated that your card is ddr5, however many 1g 7750 are ddr3. I would take a look at the ram chips to double check that you have not been sent the wrong card.
WeiXing3D

Post by WeiXing3D »

ddni wrote:Hi I know that you stated that your card is ddr5, however many 1g 7750 are ddr3. I would take a look at the ram chips to double check that you have not been sent the wrong card.
Unfortunately, for me, I checked the PN printed on the board and it does correspond to a GDDR5 model.

I really hope someone can shed light with some suggestions on how to trouble shoot. I'm sure there are other SAM460EX users here in this forum using the same gfx card.
duga

Post by duga »

Have you tried using a VGA adapter connected to the DVI port?

Connect the VGA cable to the DVI port via adapter, not to the VGA port.
WeiXing3D

Post by WeiXing3D »

duga wrote:Have you tried using a VGA adapter connected to the DVI port?

Connect the VGA cable to the DVI port via adapter, not to the VGA port.
I've been trying with a DVI cable. I'd need to buy an adapter or a DVI to VGA cable later today; after work.
WeiXing3D

Post by WeiXing3D »

UPDATE:

After trying all the possible solutions suggested in different forums, and since none of them fixed the problem, and also following some of the latest advice, I went ahead and I called Newegg (store from where I bought the card) and ordered a replacement.

Shipment will be expedited, so hopefully this weekend I will be unveiling more of this mystery.

I'm hoping that this card I got first, was just a black sheep inf the batch where it came from, and that the new one will work just fine.

Fingers crossed.
;-)