USB problems

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
prowler

Re: USB problems

Post by prowler »

Spectre660 wrote:My first problem after rebooting with update 3 was no working keyboard or mouse. They were both connected to a hub so looks like Hub support is indeed broken.
I was backing up my Sam440ep last night to do a fresh reinstall to see if that helped with my USB mouse and keyboard ceasing to work every few minutes. I realised and found the following:
* My mouse was going through a powered USB hub. Once I plugged it directly into the back of the Sam440ep it kept working and never stopped working again.
* My Keyboard is plugged directly into the Sam440ep BUT it keeps dieing, needing to be unplugged and plugged back in again to get it working for a few minutes. With that said, the Keyboard itself contains a USB hub in it which worked perfectly will with Update 2 and earlier.

So from what other people have postulated in this thread, having a USB hub in the equation does seem to cause a problem.

I have not attempted to disable EHCI at this point in time yet. I will try that out when I get home from work tonight and see if that helps me or not.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Both my keyboard and mouse are now connected via a PS/2 to USB adaptor ,without the hub, and working well .
prowler wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:My first problem after rebooting with update 3 was no working keyboard or mouse. They were both connected to a hub so looks like Hub support is indeed broken.
I was backing up my Sam440ep last night to do a fresh reinstall to see if that helped with my USB mouse and keyboard ceasing to work every few minutes. I realised and found the following:
* My mouse was going through a powered USB hub. Once I plugged it directly into the back of the Sam440ep it kept working and never stopped working again.
* My Keyboard is plugged directly into the Sam440ep BUT it keeps dieing, needing to be unplugged and plugged back in again to get it working for a few minutes. With that said, the Keyboard itself contains a USB hub in it which worked perfectly will with Update 2 and earlier.

So from what other people have postulated in this thread, having a USB hub in the equation does seem to cause a problem.

I have not attempted to disable EHCI at this point in time yet. I will try that out when I get home from work tonight and see if that helps me or not.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
prowler

Post by prowler »

Well, I commented out the ehci.usbhcd line in my kicklayout file and have been using the Sam440ep fine for the last 40+ minutes so far (typing this with MUI-OWB) which it is a lot better than what I was getting before. This was with my previously described setup of a regular mouse into rear USB port and keyboard which contains a USB hub (and I also double checked and found it also has a USB audio driver in it) which was crapping out on me all the time is now behaving itself.

This is the first chance I have had to even play with MUI-OWB since I went to use it initially after installing the update 3 and everytime I started it, my mouse and/or keyboard decided not to work any more :P
Noel Fuller
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Noel Fuller »

To correct my comment on a vertically oscillating mouse after bootup of the SAM 460 - or is it extreme vertical acceleration?:

It happened 5 more times last night. Stephen Fellner found that removing and replacing the mouse (rear usb port)
restored normal operation and that worked for me too later.

Noel
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

@prowler
It is nice to hear I am not the only one with this problem, and in fact your experiences closely mirror mine.

Disabling EHCI (USB2) does not completely solve the problem for me, but it did improve matters. I am currently trying to make reproducible test case, and so have re-enabled EHCI.
prowler

Post by prowler »

If it is any help to anyone my mouse is a Logitech RX1500 and my keyboard is a Enermax Aurora.

I also don't seem to have to many problems reproducing the problem when EHCI is enabled so if there are any logs from anywhere someone needs I can always see what I can trawl out of the system for them.
chris

Post by chris »

Just to add to this, my keyboard cuts out sometimes shortly after boot. Disconnecting and reconnecting it makes it work for the rest of the session.
The mouse connected to the hub in the same keyboard continues to work even when the keyboard isn't working.
Very strange. The SAM440EP_Setup program makes no difference to the situation at all.