USB problems

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
sicky

USB problems

Post by sicky »

Since I updated my SAM460 to update 3 I am having USB errors at booting times

I get two error messages, the first is:

'HUB driver was unable to add the attached device'

And when I click on OK the second message is:

'Unable to reset HUB port device being aborted'

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?
Raziel

Re: USB problems

Post by Raziel »

sicky wrote:Since I updated my SAM460 to update 3 I am having USB errors at booting times

I get two error messages, the first is:

'HUB driver was unable to add the attached device'

And when I click on OK the second message is:

'Unable to reset HUB port device being aborted'

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?
I got this when i was using a non-powered hub.
The only solution i found was either not having the USB device in question plugged in at boot time or buy me a powered hub...i went for the second due to my lazyness :-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: USB hub problems

Post by ChrisH »

I'm wondering if Update 3 broke support for USB hubs, because a hub which used to work no-longer does. And my KVM (which has a built-in hub) regularly drops keyboard & mouse (especially when using MUIOWB or quite strangely CygnusEd 5).

edit: I am now sure that USB hubs cause me problems, but need help to confirm this is a wide-spread issue that Hyperion need to look at.
Last edited by ChrisH on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

My first problem after rebooting with update 3 was no working keyboard or mouse. They were both connected to a hub so looks like Hub support is indeed broken.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

Spectre660 wrote:My first problem after rebooting with update 3 was no working keyboard or mouse. They were both connected to a hub so looks like Hub support is indeed broken.
I have a hub and no problems of course (otherwise I would have reported it).

So I would say hub support is "lacking" :D
ExecSG Team Lead
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Can I borrow yours until support catches up ?
:D
ssolie wrote:
Spectre660 wrote:My first problem after rebooting with update 3 was no working keyboard or mouse. They were both connected to a hub so looks like Hub support is indeed broken.
I have a hub and no problems of course (otherwise I would have reported it).

So I would say hub support is "lacking" :D
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

ssolie wrote:I have a hub and no problems of course (otherwise I would have reported it).
Do you have keyboard & mouse plugged in through the hub? Because that may be the main issue with hubs.

EDIT: Oh, and are your keyboard & mouse stable (for say 20-30min) when using MUI-OWB? I found MUI-OWB enhances USB hub instability (probably due to heavy CPU/memory usage), and so makes it a good test case.
mpiva

Post by mpiva »

ChrisH wrote: EDIT: Oh, and are your keyboard & mouse stable (for say 20-30min) when using MUI-OWB? I found MUI-OWB enhances USB hub instability (probably due to heavy CPU/memory usage), and so makes it a good test case.
My keyboard and mouse are plugged into my KVM switch, which the OS sees as a HUB. I use MUI_OWB all the time and it has never caused me any instability issues. However, I've had to disable EHCI to get my keyboard and mouse working in the first place so maybe that's the reason. It's a pain not having USB2.0 but I didn't have it before Update 3 so I'm used to living without it.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

mpiva wrote:My keyboard and mouse are plugged into my KVM switch, which the OS sees as a HUB. I use MUI_OWB all the time and it has never caused me any instability issues.
I'm currently trying with EHCI disabled (like you) to see if it "fixes" the problem (making it behave like Update 2). In Update 2 (and earlier) a hub actually helped make USB keyboards/mouse MORE stable!
However, I've had to disable EHCI to get my keyboard and mouse working in the first place so maybe that's the reason.
Have you tried the following as an alternative?
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... 3959#p3959
Noel Fuller
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Noel Fuller »

I had 3 USB problems.

System: SAM 460ex with 4 port PCI sata controller, radeon 4650, for fun a LED monitor and a 3port
hub plugged in a front port. Mouse and keyboard in rear.

1. refusal to boot while a flash card (4GB)is in any port - just keeps recycling to init USB - maybe uboot issue?

2. twice now a vertically oscillating pointer - reboot clears it away, reinserting mouse had no effect.

3. oh despair, mouse quit altogether on movement and left click, demonstration coming up, what to do?
Tried it on a passing laptop - same behaviour - must be the new logiteck mouse? Close inspection
revealed one of those ubiquitous branding stickers they put on apples, those one eats, had plastered itself over the laser!!!
All had a good laugh as I trust you did too.

Otherwise no problems with usb devices so far. To try out the new ehci driver I copied 4 files about equal
size totalling 1.3 GB, first into ram, then to the hard drive. Only 3 files made it to ram, at 35 seconds each,
then a crash with a nominal 750 MB left. Copying to disk went smoothly totalling 4m 24 s. Writing the same
files to the flash card took approximately 8 minutes.

Noel