Sam460ex Like a New Amiga!

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
jdupuis

Sam460ex Like a New Amiga!

Post by jdupuis »

Hi,

Notably today this Sam of mine is like a totally new computer compared to the way it was when received. As you all know, I have removed the hard drive and have gone SD card. DVD-RW alone on the 3114 card. Today I got the SanDisk 32GB Extreme Plus microSDHC UHS-1 Card - 95 MB/s 633X. Due to the speed capability, I used SFS/02 partitions 512 blocks 2600 buffers. What a remarkable difference I am seeing and hearing. DDR2 Boost = Read and Write, still set as well. An example is the fact that I can view the entire Intro of Aquaventura in RunInUAE, whereas before, I could barely play the game. Hired Guns is smooth as silk. Red Baron plays very good now....and so on. Standard websites are extremely faster to load in Odyssey.
The 16GB SD Card led me to buying this new SD card. This Sam460ex is a fantastic computer when you have all the right stuff that works. AmigaOS 4.1FE runs great as well. I have double-clicked one game after another, quit emulation and did several other tasks without any Grim Reaper or Reboot. That is a far cry from my first bootup and greeted with a Reaper upon Workbench. Too bad there is only one SD slot on the Motherboard. Just thought I would pass my review of this SanDisk Extreme Plus microSD 32Gb on. So far, it's fantastic. I think a mechanical drive would just bog my Sam down, now.

Cheers!!
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Sam460ex Like a New Amiga!

Post by tonyw »

Something else to try when you get bored:

SD cards are sometimes pretty slow compared to a full-sized SATA SDD. If you buy yourself a 120-240 GB Kingston SDD, you'll find even better performance.

The SDD comes in a 2½" drive format, so can fit into a floppy slot with a cheap bracket.

But you're probably up over the knee of the expense-performance curve already. Have fun!
cheers
tony
jdupuis

Re: Sam460ex Like a New Amiga!

Post by jdupuis »

tonyw wrote:Something else to try when you get bored:

SD cards are sometimes pretty slow compared to a full-sized SATA SDD. If you buy yourself a 120-240 GB Kingston SDD, you'll find even better performance.

The SDD comes in a 2½" drive format, so can fit into a floppy slot with a cheap bracket.

But you're probably up over the knee of the expense-performance curve already. Have fun!
Hi Tony!

You read my mind. SSD is on the Father's Day "Wanted" list. Expense-performance curve was blown out the water when I bought that Sound Card of Gold from ACube instead of looking at the chip number and getting the same card from Amazon - less than half!! :evil:
However, it was fun and is fun! It's funny how things straighten up when you threaten with a soldering iron. That's a gun to a computing device! To really sum it all up, I learned a lot about the Sam460 and AOS settings that I just took at their "default" values. Set up lessons that surely will help someone else. Hardware specification parameters is one of the primary lessons as well. Very nice NG Amiga, indeed. All the work paid off, I'm proud of it!

Cheers!!

John
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE