Fixing screen size and internet on a newly installed SAM

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
kilaueabart

Re: Fixing screen size and internet on a newly installed SAM

Post by kilaueabart »

nbache wrote:
kilaueabart wrote:The monitor in question is a Samsung S23C570. Minimum VSync 60, Maximum VSync 60 (but it was 70 when javierdl asked me yesterday!), Minumum Hsync 31000, Maximum HSync 85000.
I googled for a manual and found the technical specs for that monitor, and yes, those are the correct frequencies for it. Whether you had 70 or 60 as Max. VSync is probably less important, because you probably want to use the monitor's preferred mode which is 1920×1080@60Hz.
I have that kind of info in Data:Documents/samsungmonitor.pdf. Some of the great quantity of valuable info I store on the harddrive that I am finally able to look at again after almost 4 months. Another reason besides the blockid error to back that partition up onto something external!
UPDATE: Since making changes to Screenmode > Monitors (use preferred mode, detect settings automatically), I have booted full screen twice.
Sounds great. I assume that by full screen you mean 1920×1080?
Yes, that's what I mean.
Well, the second time only got about two-thirds vertical, but I don't expect that to be a regular happening.
I have seen that very rarely on different machines here, I don't know for sure what causes it, but it might be an idea to make sure your DVI cable is of good quality and that the plugs are securely inserted at both ends.
BTW, I was pleased to see that the CD is happy to boot from con4, although I had intended to try con3, the one the hard drive refused to boot from.
I did have a big scare along the way. When I was through checking on that, I removed the DVD and did the Ctrl^Alt^Alt thing, and it refused to reboot. I turned it off for awhile and back on, and still, black screen, and monitor complaining. But now it's on again, no errors, no problems. So I will go back to redoing YAM. I tried to launch that yesterday and it said my AmiSSL was too old. Apparently my attempt to replace it has failed--I still get that message.

Anyway, I've got an Amiga again. Thank you all.
Bart
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:So I will go back to redoing YAM. I tried to launch that yesterday and it said my AmiSSL was too old. Apparently my attempt to replace it has failed--I still get that message.
There was another update to AmiSSL - to 4.1 - a few days ago, maybe that's what you are missing? AmiUpdate will offer it.
Anyway, I've got an Amiga again. Thank you all.
Bart
Best of luck with it!

Best regards,

Niels
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

kilaueabart wrote:So I will go back to redoing YAM. I tried to launch that yesterday and it said my AmiSSL was too old. Apparently my attempt to replace it has failed--I still get that message.
There was another update to AmiSSL - to 4.1 - a few days ago, maybe that's what you are missing? AmiUpdate will offer it.
...[/quote]

Yep, I was going to suggest too AmiSSL 4 / 4.1 update on aminet [http://aminet.net/util/libs/AmiSSL-4.1.lha]

if you're using YAM2.10dev (nitghlybuild) [http://nightly.yam.ch/latest-dev/]

and maybe MUI 5 [http://muidev.de/download/MUI%205.0%20- ... R1-os4.lha and http://muidev.de/download/MUI%205.0%20- ... ontrib.lha]
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

From ecstasy to despair.

I posted yesterday that I was able to boot the DVD from the socket that had refused to read the hard drive, which now worked from where the CD drive had been plugged in. I didn't mention that it took two tries. At first, I had opened the tray as soon as the machine came on and slipped the DVD in just before it closed. But nothing booted that time. UBoot didn't show at all. The reset button didn't do anything. I thought I had probably messed something up by not inserting the DVD properly. I shut the machine down for a while, stopped UBoot before it booted the hard drive and inserted the DVD properly. It booted, and I believe it may have been from that boot that I wrote the success post.

In any event, I spent the rest of the day trying to make YAM work, but the machine kept conking out on me sooner or later, and would not be immediately rebootable. I finally gave up.

Didn't have a chance to try again until this afternoon. I returned immediately to the YAM problem, installing a new AmiSSL and some MUI stuff. Lacking clear notes on how .config was supposed to look, I copied in the one that had worked last December on the X1000. Got a bad username/password failure notice, and guessed that my new password might be post-X1000 failure, so I entered the new one in .config and clicked Get. Same failure notice. Maybe YAM needs relaunching after .config is changed? So I clicked YAM's close button and the icon to launch it again. Black screen!

After a few tries I was able to get Workbench up again, and came immediately to this forum, and wrote just about as much as this before the keyboard quit working and a few seconds later the screen went black and the monitor no-signal light started blinking again. So here I am back on the faithful Raspberry-pi.

I had noticed that a light on the card reader I installed on the SAM would blink a while after I pressed the reset button. Once, pause, twice, pause, once more, then nothing until I did it again. I had noticed that the light blinks when Workbench is booting, although not that close together that I recall. Time to take the side back off the box and see what kind of lights there might be inside. There's a green one about half way up the right side of the board as mounted in my box. I can't see through the mass of wires to find it when it is off. It comes on when the "0/1" power switch is set to "1" and doesn't go off until a fairly long time after it is set to "0." Otherwise it is apparently on all the time.

There are four lights just above what must be the video card, labeled D3, D4, D5, D6 from right to left. The on/off and reset switches turn D3 on, green; D6 comes on orange, and stays on for a while; D5, yellow, and D4, red, blink briefly, then go off. I can't find a diagram of the motherboard to find out what they are supposed to mean. I just now tried again with nothing but the power cord plugged in the Raspbarry-pi (video cord in the rpi), so I couldn't tell if it was doing anything, but D4 and D5 seemed to stay on a little longer than in my earlier experiments. Oh, and once in those earlier experiences Workbench started to get booted. It got as far as "Loading Kickstart ..../Done, now launching ..." That screen survived until I turned the machine off.

When I was trying to fix the X1000 I discovered that the battery was about dead, but the people I was conferring with on the HEMB AmigaOne X1000 forum told me that a dead battery wouldn't account for the failure to boot. But I'll probably pull the battery, check it, and probably replace it, for better or not.

Bart
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Probably anyone who read the post above recognized immediately what the problem was (assuming I have really fixed it, as it seems I have).

In the middle of the night last night it occurred to me that Workbench wasn't failing, but the video card was intermittently failing to send the video. I argued with myself about that for a while; if the monitor wasn't getting the signal, why did the monitor screen persist after the keyboard and mouse quit working?

I had had to switch the hard drive's port on the SATA controller card for UBoot to recognize and boot from it. To see how to make the change, I had to remove the video card right above the SATA card. Even though when I checked it this morning it seemed securely mounted, I removed and reinserted it just to be sure. And I have been using the machine for several hours, with reboots, warm and cold, just to test, and no problems.

I apologize for my previous long public weep.

Bart
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:Even though when I checked it this morning it seemed securely mounted, I removed and reinserted it just to be sure. And I have been using the machine for several hours, with reboots, warm and cold, just to test, and no problems.
Excellent!

I did read your tale above, but there were so many things that could have caused the problem, and I wasn't sure what to advise, so I kept silent in the hope that somebody else saw the light. And now it seems you did so yourself ;-)

Best regards,

Niels