SAM Flex 800Mhz Instability Issues

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
xenic

SAM Flex 800Mhz Instability Issues

Post by xenic »

After installing OS4.1 Update3, I began experiencing a lot of system freezes requiring a system reset. I was also unable to get MUI-OWB to run for more than 5 minutes without crashing and was unable to complete a forum post without a crash. Several people on various forums advised downloading HyperClock and try setting my system to slower clock speeds. My SAM is now stable at 733/122 and lower and I can run OWB-MUI without any major problems. The lower clock speed also solved another long-standing problem with my SAM. If I try to compile a large program with multiple source files (with CPU at 800Mhz) CC1 crashes at some point. So far, I now seem to be able to compile large programs with the CPU speed lowered.
I don't mind running my system at 733Mhz speed because it's only about 8% slower than 800 Mhz. What I do mind is having to turn on the computer, start a program and wait for the computer to reset. I have several questions about the speed control:
1. Can the SAM board be switched to lower speed with jumpers on pins somewhere?
2. Would it be possible to release a new UBOOT that has a command to set the clock speed so that a complete boot and reboot isn't necessary?
3. At the very least could we get a version of HyperClock that allows setting a clock speed in prefs and then calling HyperClock with a shell argument like "SETSPEED" or "PREFSPEED" from the startup-sequence in order to get a quicker double-boot without mouse clicks in the program?
4. Will the Radeon graphics card from my SAM work in my µA1?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: SAM Flex 800Mhz Instability Issues

Post by ssolie »

You should contact ACube directly for assistance with your clock speed issue. ACube may not be reading these web forums. ACube also support their own UBoot and not Hyperion.

As for the MicroA1-C and graphics cards, we pretty much concluded that is impossible due to a design flaw in the MicroA1-C hardware. DarrenHD was able to get a graphics card to work if he disabled UDMA and USB--hardly a good compromise.
ExecSG Team Lead
xenic

Re: SAM Flex 800Mhz Instability Issues

Post by xenic »

@ssolie
I seem to remember reading that graphics cards were a problem with the µA1 but just thought I'd check to be sure. The builtin µA1 display on my uA1 is a little blurred compared to the Radeon display on my SAM so I don't really want to switch back to the µA1 unless I can get a clear display. I was PM'd by MAX at AmigaWorld.net with the suggestion that I download HyperClock and try reducing the CPU speed on my SAM FLex. I'm assuming that "MAX" works for ACube and that they are aware of the problem (I could be wrong about that). Although this issue was discussed in another forum with a different title, I thought it might be useful to start a specific topic that other SAM Flex users could find easily and find a solution to CPU clock speed based instability. I may also go to the ACube site to lobby for a better solution; a UBOOT change or some way to automatically reset the system to a lower clock speed without opening a GUI every time.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE