Better Altivec support

This forum is for Pegasos II specific issues.
Prober
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Better Altivec support

Post by Prober »

Is there any chance that in some future version of the system will be better support for the AltiVec unit (dytatypes, etc...)? I do not know how much it is difficult and I understand that the Pegasos is a minority platform, but it would be very nice ;)
Pegasos II, G4 7447 / 1266MHz, 2048MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9250, HDD 2x360GB, ZIP250 USB, USB floppy, HP LaserJet 1100, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 1
Thomas Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Better Altivec support

Post by Thomas Frieden »

There's already a substantial amount of atlivec code in the system (for example, graphic/Picasso96). The Pegasos isn't the only platform with altivec, there's also the A1 (with G4) and x1000.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Better Altivec support

Post by ssolie »

Prober wrote:Is there any chance that in some future version of the system will be better support for the AltiVec unit (dytatypes, etc...)? I do not know how much it is difficult and I understand that the Pegasos is a minority platform, but it would be very nice ;)
AmigaOS has a substantial amount of AltiVec code throughout the system already. There are also special hardware features on chip (e.g. 440ep and 460ex) which are taken advantage of. AltiVec is just one of many tools used to enhance performance.
ExecSG Team Lead