Better Altivec support

This forum is for Pegasos II specific issues.

Better Altivec support

Postby Prober » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:12 am

Is there any chance that in some future version of the system will be better support for the AltiVec unit (dytatypes, etc...)? I do not know how much it is difficult and I understand that the Pegasos is a minority platform, but it would be very nice ;)
Pegasos II, G4 7447 / 1266MHz, 2048MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9250 (256MB VRAM), HDD 200GB, ZIP250 USB, USB floppy, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Prober
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Better Altivec support

Postby Thomas Frieden » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:45 am

There's already a substantial amount of atlivec code in the system (for example, graphic/Picasso96). The Pegasos isn't the only platform with altivec, there's also the A1 (with G4) and x1000.
Thomas Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Better Altivec support

Postby ssolie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Prober wrote:Is there any chance that in some future version of the system will be better support for the AltiVec unit (dytatypes, etc...)? I do not know how much it is difficult and I understand that the Pegasos is a minority platform, but it would be very nice ;)

AmigaOS has a substantial amount of AltiVec code throughout the system already. There are also special hardware features on chip (e.g. 440ep and 460ex) which are taken advantage of. AltiVec is just one of many tools used to enhance performance.
AmigaOS Development Team Lead
Be authentic. Get AmigaOS.
ssolie
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Return to Platform: Pegasos II