How do you Format JXFS Partitions?

This forum is for Pegasos II specific issues.
magnetic

How do you Format JXFS Partitions?

Post by magnetic »

Hi

I formatted a partition with "Media Toolbox" with the new Amiga filesystem JXFS and it shows it saved in the settings, but when I reboot and try to format the disk the Format program doesn't see the partition! Any advice would be appreciated. Especially since i'm interested in seeing how this new FS works over SFS and FFS.. Thank you

ps using Pegasos 2 on board ide and 200mb maxtor drive.
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: How do you Format JXFS Partitions?

Post by salass00 »

@magnetic

Have you made sure in Media Toolbox that the blocksize of the partition is 512 bytes? For SFS and JXFS partitions this is the recommended value to use for blocksize (and IIRC only allowed value for JXFS).
magnetic

Post by magnetic »

THanks I'll try that. i think I set the blocksize to 4096 (says that in the manual that came with os4) when I get home i'll change to 512 and see what happens...

How much of an improvement is JXFS over SFS or FFS?
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Not entirely sure about the improvements between but you do know JXFS is from the same creator as SFS2; I've never had any problems with JXFS

I use SFS2 for my boot partitions and JXFS for everything else. I even format my ext USB 1TB harddrives as one partition with JXFS and it is quick and reliable I haven't made the move to anything bigger but I might try soon!

I always used the SFSFormat command and NORECYCLED, I'm not sure if that adds to any stability but it certainly stops this FS getting clogged at times with too many files in the delete cache. If you're worried about deleting the wrong thing just make sure you have SURE? enabled in DirOpus when you hit delete so at least you get that moment of recollection and pending doom that could save that odd file or directory, I have become exceedingly good at checking anything before deleting :D
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x