[SOLVED] Window scrollbar/border size questions

This forum is for general developer support questions.
chris

[SOLVED] Window scrollbar/border size questions

Post by chris »

Hi

I'm trying to replace the window's default vertical scrollbar with my own in the window itself for various reasons. I've created a scroller.gadget in the window and the position and size is perfect. However, it is of course using the "inside window" colour scheme. For the sack of consistency I'd like it to be in the window border colour scheme, as that is effectively where it is placed (I've just made it a bit shorter and used some of what used to be the window border for a toolbar). I can't get this to happen. Even if I set GA_RightBorder it still steadfastly insists on being in the "inside window" colours (all it does is make it a bit smaller). I have a feeling it might be alpha-blend, but I don't know how to get a window-border coloured gadget underneath it?!

Q1: Is there any way of making a scroller.gadget appear in the window border colour scheme?

There was a Q2 but it has been answered elsewhere. :D

Thanks
Chris
Last edited by chris on Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenic

Re: Window scrollbar/border size questions

Post by xenic »

chris wrote:Hi
Q1: Is there any way of making a scroller.gadget appear in the window border colour scheme?
Chris
I can't answer your question but after opening a number of programs and windows, it seems to me that a window scrollbar embedded in the window border with system colors provides a visual cue to the user that the scrollbar will scroll the entire contents of the window instead of just a lister or group. Are you sure you want to make your scroller.gadget use the "system" color scheme?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
chris

Post by chris »

xenic wrote:
chris wrote:Hi
Chris
I can't answer your question but after opening a number of programs and windows, it seems to me that a window scrollbar embedded in the window border with system colors provides a visual cue to the user that the scrollbar will scroll the entire contents of the window instead of just a lister or group. Are you sure you want to make your scroller.gadget use the "system" color scheme?
You might have a point there, although I can find plenty of examples where the scrollbar in the border scrolls the main content area of the window (even if there is other stuff in that window). Even MultiView with an AmigaGuide document does this.

I consulted the Style Guide:
style guide wrote:If the entire window is used as the view area, a scroll gadget should be added in the right-hand border of the window.
This agrees with what you are saying, so it's correct that I have non-window border colours.

I'm not sure what to do with the one in the bottom window border now. I suppose the correct approach is to move it into the window itself, most of the time it's not needed anyway so I can hide it.
xenic

Post by xenic »

@chris
There is a certain amount of inconsistancy between MUI, Reaction, Gadtools etc. but window border dragbar that scolls the entire window contents seems fairly consistant. For example, the Odyssey window I'm typing in right now is grey and not embedded in the window border and does not scroll the entire contents of the window. As far as your horizonal scrollbar goes, a lot of MUI windows (like the Odyssey download window) automatically add a horizontal scrollbar when the horizontal contents exceed the size of the window (i.e. The Odyssey download window opens with no horizontal scrollbar but adds one when the download starts and the data in the window exceeds the window width.

OFF TOPIC:
You added a comment in another topic about losing the focus in string gadgets while typing. I just experienced another unpleasant effect while typing this message. I clicked the close gadget in another program window to get it out of the way and continued typing. Instead of Odyssey being reactivated after the other window closed, YAM was activated and my typing caused YAM to open a requester. That doesn't make any sense to me. I think that the focus should be returned to the window that was active before another window is closed.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
chris

Post by chris »

xenic wrote:@chris
There is a certain amount of inconsistancy between MUI, Reaction, Gadtools etc. but window border dragbar that scolls the entire window contents seems fairly consistant. For example, the Odyssey window I'm typing in right now is grey and not embedded in the window border and does not scroll the entire contents of the window. As far as your horizonal scrollbar goes, a lot of MUI windows (like the Odyssey download window) automatically add a horizontal scrollbar when the horizontal contents exceed the size of the window (i.e. The Odyssey download window opens with no horizontal scrollbar but adds one when the download starts and the data in the window exceeds the window width.
Yes, that's what I've done now. Examples of programs that use the scrollbars to scroll the "main area" of the window (rather than the entire contents): Wordworth, TurboCalc, PageStream.
OFF TOPIC:
You added a comment in another topic about losing the focus in string gadgets while typing. I just experienced another unpleasant effect while typing this message. I clicked the close gadget in another program window to get it out of the way and continued typing. Instead of Odyssey being reactivated after the other window closed, YAM was activated and my typing caused YAM to open a requester. That doesn't make any sense to me. I think that the focus should be returned to the window that was active before another window is closed.
Yes, agreed. I don't know how Intuition decides which window to activate when one is closed.
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

@chris

To get a scroller that looks correct in the window border you should use a "scrollergclass" object instead of a scroller.gadget. If you use window.class then it can take care of all this work of creating a border scroller for you.
trixie

Post by trixie »

@chris
salass00 wrote:If you use window.class then it can take care of all this work of creating a border scroller for you.

Code: Select all

WINDOW_VertProp, 1,
is the tag you want for this.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
chris

Post by chris »

You're missing the point. I had a border scroller, I removed that, and wanted something which aesthetically looked similar but didn't take up the entire window.

Anyway, as xenic pointed out, I shouldn't be doing that and have left it in the in window colours, and moved the other scroller so they match.

I consider this resolved.