PrefsObject

This forum is for general developer support questions.
mritter0

Re: PrefsObject

Post by mritter0 »

I am happy to help out with suggestions, but I still need some example code to start with. Could someone post the example(s) on here?
Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers
trixie

Post by trixie »

salass00 wrote:Currently application.library reads and writes version 1.0 pobjects files but it should be simple enough to make a new version of the library that reads version 1.0 and version 2.0 pobjects file and writes in the latter format only.
I was just going to suggest the same thing!
If you have suggestions on how the new pobjects format should look then please post them here.
Will do.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
trixie

Post by trixie »

@mritter0
mritter0 wrote:Am I wasting my time using PrefsObject system?
No, the system is cool (though still a little undocumented). It's just the current XML schema that is bad.

I'll send you some code examples when I get to my machine later today.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

salass00 wrote:
broadblues wrote: I wouldn't use it myself, it produces horid unstructured xml, where the only relation between a key and value is that value follows immediatly after the key.
Well if there are problems with the current pobjects format then they can be fixed in application.library.

Currently application.library reads and writes version 1.0 pobjects files but it should be simple enough to make a new version of the library that reads version 1.0 and version 2.0 pobjects file and writes in the latter format only.

If you have suggestions on how the new pobjects format should look then please post them here.
Current:

Code: Select all

<key>Filer.def.dstbackground2pen.r</key>
	<string>0xEEEDEEED</string>
This is bad because there is no structure, the only relation between key and string is that string follows key.

Possible improvement:

Key and string now bound together in an item.

<item>
	<key>Filer.def.dstbackground2pen.r</key>
	<string>0xEEEDEEED</string>
</item>

alternative.

<item key="Filer.def.dstbackground2pen.r" type="string" >
0xEEEDEEED
</item>
<item key="Filer.def.search.filename.case" type="bool" >
TRUE
</item>

There are a lot of variations ofcourse, Trixie may have better suggestions still...
trixie

Post by trixie »

@mritter0

I started reworking the PrefsObjects wiki documentation to turn it into something more useful - it's now well overdue! I've covered reading the preferences and added a how-to example code fragment; this should get you started. More information to be added soon I hope:
Link: http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/PrefsObjects

@broadblues

I was actually going to suggest something like you show in that last example.
The Rear Window blog

salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

broadblues wrote:

0xEEEDEEED
</item>
TRUE
</item>

There are a lot of variations ofcourse, Trixie may have better suggestions still...
How about something like this?

<string key="Filer.def.dstbackground2pen.r>0xEEEDEEED</string>
<bool key="Filer.def.search.filename.case">TRUE</bool>
jaokim
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by jaokim »

0xEEEDEEED
</item>
TRUE
</item>

I'd prefer the first option over the second, since with a general <item> structure it'd be very easy to f.i. create a general GUI that can edit all items, using a fallback text gadget, whereas with the type defining in the tag, you'd have to support all possible types in order to parse the file. I'm also assuming that the "type" attribute could be something application specific, like type="email" allowing the application to validate it, whereas application.library would only treat it as text.
trixie

Post by trixie »

jaokim wrote:I'd prefer the first option over the second
On the other hand, Chris' suggestion looks much more human-readable, so if we are to arrive at a compromise between "easy to parse" and "easy to read and edit manually", I'd probably go with something like that. And from the viewpoint of the parser, I guess there's not much difference between handling six different elements (there are six types of PrefsObject) and six different attributes - you need to process them anyway.
The Rear Window blog

salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

jaokim wrote: I'd prefer the first option over the second, since with a general <item> structure it'd be very easy to f.i. create a general GUI that can edit all items, using a fallback text gadget, whereas with the type defining in the tag, you'd have to support all possible types in order to parse the file. I'm also assuming that the "type" attribute could be something application specific, like type="email" allowing the application to validate it, whereas application.library would only treat it as text.
As I see it this won't be a problem since only application.library should be used for parsing these files.

I haven't looked at the code but I would assume that the PrefsObjectsEditor also uses application.library to read and write the pobjects files.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

salass00 wrote:
How about something like this?

Well I'm not keen on that format. My objection to the original was lack of structure. The point of using xml in the first place (IMHO at least) is to export data in a structured way, other wise you might as wel use plain text.

My second format adds structure:

Dictionary->Item in dictionary->Key and type information->data.

Whilst it's a slight improvement on the original your suggestion doesn't really add much in the way structure, although the data and key is at least bound togther.

If you want to use tags to define the datatype (that can make parsing slightly easier internally) then how about.

<pobjects version="2.0">
 <dict>
  <item key="itemone">
    <bool>FALSE</bool>
  </item>
  <item key="itemtwo">
   <string>This is the winter of our discontent</string>
  </item>
 </dict>
</pobject>