Crash using button.gadget+bitmap.image

This forum is for general developer support questions.
xenic

Re: Crash using button.gadget+bitmap.image

Post by xenic »

javierdlr wrote:Maybe is a filesystem/timing issue ¿:-/
O.K. I used the same SDK/GCC as you are using. I was testing with the program in RAM: so I tried again with the program on an FFS partition. After repeating the "select different ROM/iconify/uniconify" procedure 20-30 times I did get a freeze of the snex9xGUI program that prevented me from opening any other programs. It didn't crash to a Grim Reaper but I was unable to do anything on my system other than moving the mouse pointer. I rebooted and attempted to reproduce the freeze or crash for 20 minutes and was unable to reproduce the problem. I was using 6 ROMS that match the first 6 images in the Previews directory. I'm running snex9xGUI on Workbench; not a seperate screen. Unless you can find a way for others to reliably reproduce the problem, it's going to be really difficult to solve your issue. Sorry I can't help much.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic

Post by xenic »

@javierdlr
As an afterthought I do see some system differences. I tested with the regular program and not the debug version. I'm using the WarpPNG datatype instead of the OS4 PNG datatype. I'm not runing the debug kernal and don't use MUNGE.
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

@xenic

THX for all test/help, really.
I'm puzzeld too why it crashes in that part of code and not always ¿:-(
mritter0

Post by mritter0 »

In your second code block, why don't you dispose of the image first (instead of swapping pointers), then load the new image? The image won't disappear/flash on screen. Something to try.
Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

You must not dispose an image which is still connected to a button. Either detach the image from the button before you dispose it (which might impose flicker) or attach the new image to the button and then dispose the old one.
xenic

Post by xenic »

javierdlr wrote:I'm puzzeld too why it crashes in that part of code and not always ¿:-(
When a program doesn't crash when not using MUNGE debugging (like my system) but does crash when using MUNGE debugging (like your system), that usually means there is some illegal memory access.

I mentioned in an earlier post that when I ran snes9xGUI with no ROMS installed the snes9xGUI debug output showed random characters like this:

ROM preview: 'PROGDIR:Previews/N­À{>ä.PNG'.

That looks like it could be the result of illegal memory access. I think the reason for that is that your code is not checking the return value in this line:

IIntuition->GetAttr(LISTBROWSER_SelectedNode, OBJ(OID_LISTBROWSER), (uint32 *)&res_n);

and is not checking for a valid value of "res_n" before executing the IListBrowser->GetListBrowserNodeAttrs lines. In the case where there were no ROMS installed, res_n is 0 (zero) which is probably not a valid input value for the following code. I would also suggest initializing the res_n, res_s & res_t variables to zero or NULL; just to be on the safe side.
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

xenic wrote:...
I mentioned in an earlier post that when I ran snes9xGUI with no ROMS installed the snes9xGUI debug output showed random characters like this:

ROM preview: 'PROGDIR:Previews/N­À{>ä.PNG'.

That looks like it could be the result of illegal memory access. I think the reason for that is that your code is not checking the return value in this line:
Already fixed that bug in my interin version :-). Thx
http://jabirulo.site90.com/temp/snes9xgui.lha

Code: Select all

void LaunchShowRom(struct Window *pw, BOOL launch) // TRUE:launchROM; FALSE:showPNG
{
	uint32 res_n;
	STRPTR res_t = NULL, res_s = NULL, txt_s, filename, covers3d;
//	struct RomUserData *rud = NULL;
	//APTR winlock;

IIntuition->GetAttr(LISTBROWSER_SelectedNode, OBJ(OID_LISTBROWSER), (uint32 *)&res_n);
	if(res_n == 0) return;

txt_s = IExec->AllocVecTags(512, AVT_ClearWithValue,0, TAG_DONE),
	filename = IExec->AllocVecTags(1024, AVT_ClearWithValue,0, TAG_DONE),
	covers3d = IExec->AllocVecTags(1024, AVT_ClearWithValue,0, TAG_DONE);

IListBrowser->GetListBrowserNodeAttrs( (struct Node *)res_n, LBNA_Column,COL_ROM, LBNCA_Text,&res_s, TAG_DONE );
Q1:Maybe is a satck issue, having many entries in listbrowser (aprox. 600) can have some kind of effect when (un)iconify? Will test with 500000 stack in icon.
A1:Nop, still get the crash :-/

Q2: Myabe is the bitmap.image loading the PNGs?
Just changed to show always the 'availablepreview.png' image, put 'strlcpy()' before 'newobj = NewObject()...' creation

IUtility->Strlcpy(filename, ROMS"Previews/availablepreview.png", 1024);

// Create/set new preview, refresh button/preview and dispose old
			newobj = IIntuition->NewObject(BitMapClass, NULL, //"bitmap.image",..
A2: mmmm, tried several times (un)iconify and clicking on differnet lb's entries and no problem/crash, maybe some PNGs images have something weird?
xenic

Post by xenic »

javierdlr wrote: Already fixed that bug in my interin version :-). Thx
http://jabirulo.site90.com/temp/snes9xgui.lha

void LaunchShowRom(struct Window *pw, BOOL launch) // TRUE:launchROM; FALSE:showPNG
{
	uint32 res_n;
	STRPTR res_t = NULL, res_s = NULL, txt_s, filename, covers3d;
//	struct RomUserData *rud = NULL;
	//APTR winlock;

if(res_n == 0) return;
I don't think there's any guarantee that IIntuition->GetAttr() will zero the res_n variable if it fails for any reason. If it doesn't put a zero in res_n when it fails, the value of res_n could be some random junk if it's not initialized to zero. I think you should also initialize res_n to zero (uint32 res_n = 0L).
Myabe is the bitmap.image loading the PNGs?
Just changed to show always the 'availablepreview.png' image, put 'strlcpy()' before 'newobj = NewObject()...' creation

IUtility->Strlcpy(filename, ROMS"Previews/availablepreview.png", 1024);

// Create/set new preview, refresh button/preview and dispose old
			newobj = IIntuition->NewObject(BitMapClass, NULL, //"bitmap.image",..
A2: mmmm, tried several times (un)iconify and clicking on differnet lb's entries and no problem/crash, maybe some PNGs images have something weird?
I did notice that "bitmap.image" is in the stack trace before the crash inside Intuition, so maybe you're right. The only thing you can do is backup a ROMS directory, create an empty ROMS directory and copy a few (10?) at a time to the new directory and test to see if snes9xGUI crashes. I only tested with 6 ROMS with no unusual characters in the names and am using WarpPNG datatype instead of the OS4 PNG datatype; which may be why I had no problems.
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

@javierdlr:

You should be aware that while your window is iconified, the user can close the workbench screen. So when you uniconify the screen can be a different one.

This means that before you iconify you have to free all objects which got the screen pointer, for example every bitmap image with the BITMAP_Screen attribute. And don't foreget to detach these objects from their parent objects before disposing them.

Freeing screen-related objects before iconify may also fix your problem.