Help needed setting up Cubic IDE to work with OS4.x SDK

Have a question about our Software Developer Kit? Ask them here.
trixie

Re: Help needed setting up Cubic IDE to work with OS4.x SDK

Post by trixie »

@AmigaDave
If none of the OS4.x programmers is using Cubic IDE, then I can't expect any help on how to set it up with the OS4.x SDK
I do use Cubic IDE for OS4 programming. It works with the latest SDK.
Cubic IDE (at least the version I have of it) will not install the C/C++ add-on
All I can say is that you will not be able to setup Cubic with any C compiler or SDK unless you install the add-on ("envcpp50.lha").
it spits out an error message that is long, so I can't remember it word-for-word.
I see. The message in fact says: "For legal reasons, this C/C++ package does not include the equired AmigaOS4 SDK 51.22 (HYPERION Entertainment has not agreed to distribution of the SDK with this software). You can can not run this installation until you have manually copied the unpacked SDK 51.22 [153 MB] into the directory contributions/os4-sdk/."

So now we're getting somewhere! Apparently, SDK of the said version must be installed prior to installing the add-on. As this SDK is no longer available from the Hyperion website, try asking Steven Solie if he could provide SDK 51.22 for you (you just need it to fool Cubic, and you'll replace it with the latest SDK anyway). When you get the SDK:
- unpack the envcpp50 add-on
- unpack the SDK
- put the unpacked SDK into the "contributions/os4-sdk/" directory in the envcpp50 path
- then run the add-on installer
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
trixie

Post by trixie »

AmigaDave wrote: Do any of you reading this forum have this old version of the SDK that you could email to me.
Now I remember that some time ago I helped a guy called dwyloc with the same problem. I sent him the required SDK (which I, sadly, no longer have). So if no one else can provide the SDK for you, try contacting dwyloc on AmigaWorld.net - he might still have it.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
cha05e90

Post by cha05e90 »

I know that this isn't of big help, but I must admit that it *is* possible to "install" the lastest SDK(s) with a normal Cubic IDE install *without* using an old SDK install. But, the big but, is that you need to do all by hand (with a little help from Cubic IDE's vanilla gcc install routines). I never had the old SDK, so this was the only way to do it: manually. Here I have a working setup of Cubic IDE with both the latest VBCC and the latest official SDK (gcc) - maybe there are some shortcomings to a proper SDK install, but overall it works and does what it should do. I did this roughly 3 years ago - so I must admit that i'm not that sure which places I had to hack and patch to get it working... :-)
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

AmigaDave wrote:Since there is no "Official" OS4.x IDE, I thought that there might be a few OS4.x programmers who are using CubicIDE, seeing how popular GoldED was in the past.
I think part of the problem is that CubicIDE (GoldED) didn't support OS4 in the first years, so most programmers who had switched to OS4 probably found other tools and got used to them.

(And in a way it could be said that it still doesn't support OS4, as you cannot install it without access to an obsolete SDK - or considerable manual fiddling.)

Best regards,

Niels
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

Thanks to Bernd Gollesch, I now have the OS4.x SDK v51.22, so I am in the middle of trying to install it, then Cubic IDE, and finally the newest OS4.x SDK. It is still not smooth sailing to get them all installed, but I am still working on it and hope to figure out how to do it before the night is over.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and attempts to help me. I will let you know when I get it all working. Maybe I can send some updated info to Trixie so he can update his guide on Amigans.net. (off topic - if anyone has a direct way to contact anyone from amigans.net, please let me know. My account there isn't working again and I can't get a password reset email sent to me)
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
trixie

Post by trixie »

AmigaDave wrote:Maybe I can send some updated info to Trixie so he can update his guide on Amigans.net.
Please do. My e-mail is dan DOT jedlicka AT seznam DOT cz
The Rear Window blog

AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

I did not see your last post in this thread before spending almost 6 hours installing, uninstalling & re-installing the Cubic IDE and both versions of the OS4.x SDK, until I finally got it right. I am not sure if I could have kept track of what worked, and what didn't, but the things that you wrote were part of the solution.

I even got an error message at the beginning of one attempt that told me my filesystem did not accept long file names, so I aborted the installation and copied my entire Work: partition to a drawer named Work on my System: partition, so I could change the filesystem on my Work: partition from SFS00 to SFS02. But before I could do that, I had to fix about 100 files that had their attributes messed up which prevented me from copying them to my System:Work/ drawer. I was more that a little frustrated with that problem and don't know why that would happen. Finally, I copied everything back to where it belonged, so I could make another attempt at installing Cubic IDE. For some strange reason it took two or three attempts to install the C/C++ add-on module for Cubic IDE.

Enough complaining about how long it took or how hard it was. I got it done and it is working now.

Unfortunately, I doubt I can remember any of the key things that I did which are not already in your article at Amigans.net. IIRC, once I was able to get the C/C++ add-on module for Cubic IDE to install correctly and got the 51.22 OS4.x SDK unpacked to the right drawer so that the Cubic IDE installer would work, your guide on Amigans.net worked to get me the rest of the way to a final installation that works.

One thing that I did notice; if I had anything other than the extracted OS4.x SDK 51.22 in the drawer you told me to extract it to, the installation would still not work. So, I deleted everything from that drawer and extracted the SDK again, and then the Cubic IDE and C/C++ add-on module installations would finally work.

Thanks again.
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
trixie

Post by trixie »

spending almost 6 hours installing, uninstalling & re-installing the Cubic IDE and both versions of the OS4.x SDK, until I finally got it right.
Poor you! Must say I never had so much trouble. Having the old SDK at hand, the installation of Cubic and the C/C++ add-on worked pretty much out of the box for me.
I had to fix about 100 files that had their attributes messed up which prevented me from copying them to my System:Work/ drawer.
That clearly indicates that something must have gone wrong somewhere. This is not normal. Quite a few people have installed Cubic and the C/C++ add-on on OS4 but no-one ever complained about anything like this.
once I was able to get the C/C++ add-on module for Cubic IDE to install correctly and got the 51.22 OS4.x SDK unpacked to the right drawer so that the Cubic IDE installer would work, your guide on Amigans.net worked to get me the rest of the way to a final installation that works.
Good to hear you got it working! The guide was written some time ago when the old SDK was still available, and assumes that you have all the required things in place. Many people used the guide with success to install the latest SDK for Cubic. I will add some more warnings about the installation of the prerequisities but I cannot cover possible individual problems with the old SDK or the add-on. Plus, today I would recommend programmers to use Codebench instead of fiddling with the old Cubic.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

trixie wrote:
spending almost 6 hours installing, uninstalling & re-installing the Cubic IDE and both versions of the OS4.x SDK, until I finally got it right.
Poor you! Must say I never had so much trouble. Having the old SDK at hand, the installation of Cubic and the C/C++ add-on worked pretty much out of the box for me.
I am sure that sounded worse than it actually was for me, as I had distractions during that 6 hours of working on the installation and tweaking.
I had to fix about 100 files that had their attributes messed up which prevented me from copying them to my System:Work/ drawer.
That clearly indicates that something must have gone wrong somewhere. This is not normal. Quite a few people have installed Cubic and the C/C++ add-on on OS4 but no-one ever complained about anything like this.
I am now wondering if there is some kind of problem in OS4.1.5's copy command, or the FFS, or SFS00 file system? My System: partition is formatted as FFS, and my Work: partition was first formatted as SFS00 (I think that is the designation for it). I got those 100+/- file attribute errors while copying the entire contents from my Work: partition to a drawer on my System: partition, so I could then change the file system of my Work: partition from SFS00 to SFS02, and then reformat my Work: partition. I noticed all the file attribute errors when I tried to copy the contents of my Work: partition that were in the drawer on my System: partition, and I could not copy them back to my reformatted SFS02 Work: partition, because the "Read" attribute had been lost in the process of copying everything from Work: to the drawer on my System: partition. Really weird.

Is there any documented problem with the file copying routine in OS4.1.5, or is it a problem with one of the file systems?
Good to hear you got it working! The guide was written some time ago when the old SDK was still available, and assumes that you have all the required things in place. Many people used the guide with success to install the latest SDK for Cubic. I will add some more warnings about the installation of the prerequisities but I cannot cover possible individual problems with the old SDK or the add-on. Plus, today I would recommend programmers to use Codebench instead of fiddling with the old Cubic.
Thanks again for all your help. I could not have gotten it installed without you. I will check any changes you make to the article on Amigans.net and see if what you write there jogs my memory. If I have any other insights about things that need to be done to make the installation easier for anyone else that should be added to your article, I will let you know, so you can add them.
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

AmigaDave wrote:I had to fix about 100 files that had their attributes messed up which prevented me from copying them to my System:Work/ drawer.
Two possibilities come to mind:
AIUI, unpacking things from Win or *nix will almost definitely screw up the file attributes

Recently some have had troubles unpacking things with LhA instead of the UnArc utility has caused some issues..
Not sure exactly what, but if it was designed for one and used with the other, there may be incompatibilities.

Before seeking out more difficult possibilities, I'd suggest unpacking the original archive in both LhA and unarc
to see if one works better than the other.

LyleHaze