Large_File_Support

Have a question about our Software Developer Kit? Ask them here.
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Large_File_Support

Post by Slayer »

Hello everyone

Some of you may have remembered I started a thread a while back relating to Large File Support in MPlayer or similair and just wondering do we have this built into our SDK and if not are we going too, or (excuse my complete ignorance in such matters) is it completely unrelated? ;)

We have a file system or two that supports large files, why can't we start making our native software (or even relevant ports) support reading past the 2147483647 byte mark? The work arounds are ugly and incomplete especially for say movie files that are 3.6 gig, you can't create a header file for the 2nd half by simply telling Mencoder to create a new index, I never looked at a FFMpeg solution.

In some software I noticed it seemed as simple at putting -DLarge_File_Support in the compling string (Cdrtools comes to mind) but whether or not it was truely activated I can't recall.

Deniil's joinsplitter for example can read Large files and split them accordingly

I plan to start to code soon (Not sure about how long it'll take before I can do anything significant but I'll have determination on my side ;) ) and I'll be wanting to look into this kind of thing at some stage, but please don't wait for me :P

Thanks for any comments and I certainly ain't moaning or trying to steer anyones direction it's just a nice little question :D
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Large_File_Support

Post by tonyw »

I think all system components that have been written since 64-bit file sizes were available, now use the 64-bit file size fields. Some of the older components have been upgraded to 64-bit. There are some system components that have not been upgraded and if you find one, please highlight it so that we can write a bug report and get it fixed.

It's hard to say which 3rd party programs have been written since then but not taken advantage of the large size, but there is no excuse for not using it.
cheers
tony
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Large_File_Support

Post by Slayer »

Thanks Tonyw

I for one have always thought its rather odd there isn't more interest in this, I guess it only hinders "power users?" :) e.g. I will download 720p because 1080p is 2.5 gigs in size...

I will do what I can when I'm able too 8-)
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x