SDK:C/make very slow with OS4.1FE (SOLVED)

Have a question about our Software Developer Kit? Ask them here.
xenic

Re: SDK:C/make very slow with OS4.1FE

Post by xenic »

mritter0 wrote:I did not misunderstand. I said it made no difference for me booting from FFS or SFS (same compile speed/time). I tried the PATH DH3: ADD HEAD just to see if it would do anything. I am running FE in WinUAE. Just said it in case it was a real hardware issue.
O.K. I guess it was me who misunderstood. I wasn't aware that WinUAE had PPC enulation. Since it's not practical to drag my giant X1000 with me when I'm out of town, I've been hoping for some really compact OS4 hardware but if FE works with WinUAE then WinUAE on a laptop might be an attractive alternative.

Apparently, the slowdown we've been discussing only occurs on PPC hardware; at least on my X1000 hardware. My "PATH" workaround solves the issue for me so I'm not as concerned as I was when FE was first released and it seemed to take forever to compile large multifile sources.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
mritter0

Post by mritter0 »

I just made a small FFS (DOS\03) partition and booted from my original SFS partition, did PATH DH3: ADD HEAD then make....no difference.

I have now tried both "methods"; neither is an improvement.

Compare your X1000 compile times to WinUAE times to determine if it could be a hardware issue. I would think not, but worth a shot. Help figure this problem out.
Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers
xenic

Post by xenic »

mritter0 wrote:I just made a small FFS (DOS\03) partition and booted from my original SFS partition, did PATH DH3: ADD HEAD then make....no difference.

I have now tried both "methods"; neither is an improvement.

Compare your X1000 compile times to WinUAE times to determine if it could be a hardware issue. I would think not, but worth a shot. Help figure this problem out.
I have my "PATH" solution for my X1000. As far as I'm concerned it's the OS4 developers job to determine why it's happening and fix it.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Since we can reproduce it easily, I think that's a reasonable expectation.

We ARE working on it.
cheers
tony
xenic

Post by xenic »

tonyw wrote:Since we can reproduce it easily, I think that's a reasonable expectation.

We ARE working on it.
We appreciate that. Due to the unusual nature of the problem I would be very interrested to know what's causing the problem.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Interesting to note that I have not been experiencve much evidence of this bug on my X1k whilst building amigaos projects, but I hacking on perl recently and the slow down is really noticable.

The add a FFS partition to the head of the path trick works for me too,
xenic

Post by xenic »

broadblues wrote:Interesting to note that I have not been experiencve much evidence of this bug on my X1k whilst building amigaos projects, but I hacking on perl recently and the slow down is really noticable.

The add a FFS partition to the head of the path trick works for me too,
Glad to hear it. I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to discover the trick. Switching to an FFS partition to get fast compiles was a real pain. Since the devcon requirements for AmiWest specify that the new SDK needs to be installed on the Amiga brought to the conference, let's hope the problem is fixed in the new SDK.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

xenic wrote:Since the devcon requirements for AmiWest specify that the new SDK needs to be installed on the Amiga brought to the conference, let's hope the problem is fixed in the new SDK.
There is nothing wrong with GNU make that I know of so no, there is no fix coming in make.
ExecSG Team Lead
xenic

Post by xenic »

ssolie wrote: There is nothing wrong with GNU make that I know of so no, there is no fix coming in make.
When I compiled the older version of make from the sources that were included with my original OS4.0 prerelease CD, it didn't exhibit the slowdown problem. The current version of make doesn't have a slowdown problem when used with OS4.1u6. The slowdown only occurs with OS4.1FE which indicates that something that was changed for OS4.1FE is affecting make and causing it to slow down when the system is booted from an SFS partition. If you aren't interrested in finding the source of the problem, I'll just keep using my "path change" trick and continue to wonder what else in the system is being affected like make is.
duga

Post by duga »

Isn't this related to running 4.1 FE on an SFS partition in general? Not only related to make.