Audio problems X1000 OS4

This is the place to ask if you have any issues with our forum system. These include questions about your account, PM's, login trouble, etc.
austgarden

Audio problems X1000 OS4

Post by austgarden »

Hello ..

some time ago i contatcted Trevor about my x1000 not beeing able to produce sound via the Ac3 / Toslink s/pdif audio out
got a nice answer from him , but i have not had the time to test it out until now

My X1000 still do not produce sound via that output but it is a Os4 driver problem i got sound on Linux on that spesific output
i dont know whay this happens , i have tried all settings in AHi setup
but there is no sound , only via the 3,5mm jack output do i get sound on the internal HDaudio.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Audio problems X1000 OS4

Post by LyleHaze »

AustGarden,

I am curious about why you are having trouble.

In your post you said you are getting output only by the 3.5mm jack output.
There are three available outputs, the front headphone jack, the rear "line out" jack (green) and the S/PDIF output.

The AHI prefs program should let you choose any one, or all three at once.
Please make sure that "ALL" is selected for output in SYS:Prefs/AHI

Having covered that, there are a few other things to check.

Did you get your X1000 complete, or did you get just a motherboard?
I ask because there are two common ways to wire up a case for audio, commonly described as "AC/97" or "HDAudio"
Having case wiring that matches the HDAudio standard is important to getting the front headphone jack working right.

Finally, a bit of S/PDIF specific stuff.
The S/PDIF format is not very specific about which sample rates must be supported. It is up to the end-user to make sure
that the trasmit and receive sample rates match for any specific application. This is not as user-friendly as it might be.

From the transmit end, a lot of the lower sample rates availble will work for the two analog outputs, but would not work
for S/PDIF. Rather than have a digital output that only supports some of the available frequencies, we decided to remove those
lower sample rates from the driver. We also removed two sample rates due to issues with the southbridge that controls
data flow to the HDAudio codec.

The remaining sample rates should all work with the S/PDIF output. I am aware of some devices that have limits on what
rates they can receive at. If you have a specific device that is not working properly with the X1000 S/PDIF output, please
try all of the sample rates available. 48000 would be a good place to start.

I don't have a lot of audio gear here to test with, but I did go purchase an S/PDIF to audio adapter specifically to test the
audio output of the X1000 driver. I can assure you that the driver output is working correctly here.

[edit]: I just checked, "AC3" is a Dolby-specific format which is not supported with this device.All output is PCM audio only.
If your receiver expects Dolby encoded audio, this might explain the problem you are having.

I hope we can get this resolved for you,
LyleHaze
austgarden

Post by austgarden »

Yes my friend so am I.. :)

yes i am getting sound only on the 3,5 mm jack (Green) on the back of the X1000 under AOS4 (using ubuntu on the X1000 ewerything on the back works)

Got my X1000 complete from amigakit (first contact second batch)

ok i wil test the sampel rates

OH you might have a point there with the AC3 vs PCM
that might be the problem
i'l check the reciver settings..

thankyou werry much for replaying to my tiny problem :) :) :)
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

austgarden wrote:Yes my friend so am I.. :)

yes i am getting sound only on the 3,5 mm jack (Green) on the back of the X1000 under AOS4 (using ubuntu on the X1000 ewerything on the back works)

Got my X1000 complete from amigakit (first contact second batch)

ok i wil test the sampel rates

OH you might have a point there with the AC3 vs PCM
that might be the problem
i'l check the reciver settings..

thankyou werry much for replaying to my tiny problem :) :) :)
Was yours supplied with a seperate PCI soundcard?
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

I am curious about missing both the front headphone and the S/PDIF.

[edit] I see Christopher has the same idea as I do..

You have a FIrstContact system. Most of those were shipped with a PCI sound card, while the work continued on the HDAudio driver.

This does add the possibility of plugging in ot the wrong jacks on the back.

_IF_ both the built-in and the PCI sound cards are installed, you'll have to check which is which every step of the way.

I know my Linux install preferred the PCI to the HDAudio unless I told it otherwise.
And AHI will offer both.. You could even use both at once from different programs.
Most programs will use whatever is selected from AHIPrefs.

So.. IF you have the PCI sound card selected from Sys:Prefs/AHI, then the ONLY output that will work
is the green output ON THE PCI CARD SLOT. Both the headphone and the S/PDIF would not work.

Please check AHI Prefs again, and be SURE to check/set ALL FIVE UNITS.. Each one can be aimed at a different sound card.

Open AHI Prefs, it will usually open to the "Music Unit". Select HDAudio, choose your settings..
then select "Unit 0", and set the device and sample rates again.
then select "Unit 1", and set the device and sample rates again
then select "Unit 2", and set the device and sample rates again
then select "Unit 3", and set the device and sample rates again

Then Save those settings.

The layout of the prefs program does not make the multiple units as apparent as it should be.

Maybe that will solve the problem..??
tommysammy

Post by tommysammy »

S/PDIF output works here well, it works until 96khz but not with 128khz or 196khz output
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
austgarden

Post by austgarden »

LyleHaze wrote:I am curious about missing both the front headphone and the S/PDIF.
IMG_20140705_140716.PNG
(sorry for me beeing a bit unclear on the subject of the front headphone input , it's not missing i just didn't think to try it out , but it is working)
and the x1000 was / is suplied with pci sound card (this was in use until the HD audio driver was released)
so ewerything works fine just still not the S/PDIF out when using OS4.1 (I tried all the frequencies to) no luck
(s/pdif works on Ububtu remix on the X1000 no problem there)
I did at one point try to remove ewerything but the HDaudio from sys:devs:ahi
just so i could not select the wrong one in ahi prefs .
IMG_20140705_134918c.jpg
I set all AHI prefs options to the same settings as this picture
ahi prefs
ahi prefs

[edit] I see Christopher has the same idea as I do..

You have a FIrstContact system. Most of those were shipped with a PCI sound card, while the work continued on the HDAudio driver.

This does add the possibility of plugging in ot the wrong jacks on the back.

_IF_ both the built-in and the PCI sound cards are installed, you'll have to check which is which every step of the way.

I know my Linux install preferred the PCI to the HDAudio unless I told it otherwise.
And AHI will offer both.. You could even use both at once from different programs.
Most programs will use whatever is selected from AHIPrefs.

So.. IF you have the PCI sound card selected from Sys:Prefs/AHI, then the ONLY output that will work
is the green output ON THE PCI CARD SLOT. Both the headphone and the S/PDIF would not work.

Please check AHI Prefs again, and be SURE to check/set ALL FIVE UNITS.. Each one can be aimed at a different sound card.

Open AHI Prefs, it will usually open to the "Music Unit". Select HDAudio, choose your settings..
then select "Unit 0", and set the device and sample rates again.
then select "Unit 1", and set the device and sample rates again
then select "Unit 2", and set the device and sample rates again
then select "Unit 3", and set the device and sample rates again

Then Save those settings.

The layout of the prefs program does not make the multiple units as apparent as it should be.

Maybe that will solve the problem..??
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

Thanks very much for the photos, that goes a long way towards checking all the details along the way.

If the other four units are set the same as the music unit shown, then the only other thing I can think of would be the difference between LPCM and AC3 formats.
AC3 is a Dolby format, which I don't have access to.

I wish I could be more help.

LyleHaze