X1000 CD Audio

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Amigaboy

X1000 CD Audio

Post by Amigaboy »

Hello,

I have a question about the CD AUDIO IN port of the X1000 mainboard (P17). I have installed a IDE CD-ROM drive with these audiooutputs at the back. I've connected the small audiocable from the drive to the P17 but cant hear no CD sound. I have installed an IDE drive, to get sound direct from CD used in some old games like Shogo,Quake,etc as the audio via SATA wont work on these games. When i plug in a headphone in the front of the CD drive, i can hear the tracks.....
Have i miss a detail in the AUDIO prefs?
Raziel

Re: X1000 CD Audio

Post by Raziel »

Amigaboy wrote:Hello,

I have a question about the CD AUDIO IN port of the X1000 mainboard (P17). I have installed a IDE CD-ROM drive with these audiooutputs at the back. I've connected the small audiocable from the drive to the P17 but cant hear no CD sound. I have installed an IDE drive, to get sound direct from CD used in some old games like Shogo,Quake,etc as the audio via SATA wont work on these games. When i plug in a headphone in the front of the CD drive, i can hear the tracks.....
Have i miss a detail in the AUDIO prefs?
iirc you have to set INPUT to CD in AHI (but it's too long to remember for sure)

i also think i betatested an X1000 Audio mixer where you could set the mixer to use CD audio (not sure if it has been released yet)

Worked fine for playing back CD audio, but it tends to sound awful due to non-shielded hardware.
i remember i could hear every single disk access as noise...nasty
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Amigaboy

Post by Amigaboy »

Hmm...i`ve tried that...changed the prefs in the AHI to CD Input. But i doesn't work. The CD ROM starts playing (i can hear the music through the headphones!), but no sound out of the speakers :-(
I`ve allready tried to chance the cable but no result. Is there to set a jumper on the mainboard?Or maybe its a problem of the new HD Audio drivers?
:roll:
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Ok, then it seems to be only possible with the mixer program "NemoSound" which is available on that AmiStore.
"NemoSound is a program by Lyle Hazelwood to control the X1000 onboard audio codec.

It inlcudes the features of "Mixer", which controls for AHI output volume, and controls for AHI recording volume, gain, and source selection.

In addition NemoSound adds controls for live monitoring. This uses a completely seperate input channels from AHI record, and allows listening to any input "live" with zeor processor load and no interference from AHI."
Maybe the audio codec and/or the sound driver cannot work with onboard CD audio and as such this playback can only be accessed by "patching" into it with this program?

Lyle may know more
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Amigaboy

Post by Amigaboy »

Hum. If that`s the only wroking solution, I must say that`s kind of sad. I mean there`s an CD AUDIO-IN port on the mainboard and i have to pay to make it work :? So i think i will use the output from the headphones an connect it to my speakers. So i can hear the soundtrack through the speakers an the FXs through my monitor who is connected to the onboard soundcard. :idea:
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

I believe there is a bit of a misunderstanding here.

The AHI driver is.. wait for it.. a driver to connect sound to and from AHI.
If you select the CD as input on the AHI driver, then any attempt by AHI to Input sound will come from the CD header.

It works, I have tried it.

Consider this:
AHI drivers may not create their own gadgets, add their own features, or provide any services not already supported by the AHI Prefs program.

So, the AHI driver can only do what AHI supports, and AHI does not support "pass through" audio as far as I know. If I am wrong, then turn it on and enjoy listening to your CDs.

As audio codecs get more and more capable, it gets harder and harder to make them fit the AHI footprint. That's why NemoSound was written.
It provides access to some features that AHI does not support, like a second channel specifically for pass through.

Now I see that offering these additional features has made me the "bad guy".
Why do I bother even trying?
xenic

Post by xenic »

LyleHaze wrote:Now I see that offering these additional features has made me the "bad guy".
Why do I bother even trying?
Come on Lyle; don't take it personally. People just get upset when stuff doesn't work the way they want it to and complain about it. The vast majority of OS4 users appreciate your efforts. No need to let one sour note spoil the entire symphony :-)
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
xenic

Post by xenic »

Amigaboy wrote:Hmm...i`ve tried that...changed the prefs in the AHI to CD Input. But i doesn't work. The CD ROM starts playing (i can hear the music through the headphones!), but no sound out of the speakers :-(
I`ve allready tried to chance the cable but no result. Is there to set a jumper on the mainboard?Or maybe its a problem of the new HD Audio drivers?
:roll:
Maybe it's due to the fact that you are using outdated drive (IDE) to play outdated games that use outdated methods to play a soundtrack.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Amigaboy

Post by Amigaboy »

[/quote]
Maybe it's due to the fact that you are using outdated drive (IDE) to play outdated games that use outdated methods to play a soundtrack.[/quote]

Back in time, when Shogo/Quake.... was released, it uses the same technicque to let you hear the CD Audio tracks during the gameplay. And it uses AHI, too. The only difference i think is that there was a soundcard installed on that ancient AOnes and 86k machines instead of an built-in soundchip like the one on the X1000 board. So the only reason i use this "outdated" drive is because of the analog AUDIO ouputs to connect them to the mainboard. My SATA DVD drive dont feature these outputs. I had no idea that it won`t work. Anyway ll give a try on the nemosound from AMIStore.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

@xenic
If he wants to complain that AHI does not fulfill all his desires. I'm fine with that,
If he wants to know how it works, I'm ok with that too.

As soon as he said "there`s an CD AUDIO-IN port on the mainboard and i have to pay to make it work." he crossed a line.

Then it's not about customer support, it's about defending myself for writing a $5 tool to help Amigans get more than AHI can offer.

Apparently I am not sufficiently medicated to offer support at this level.