DvPlayer to play movie DVDs?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: amidvd to play movie DVDs? - SOLVED

Post by sundown »

Those libs are not part of DvPlayer & probably done by someone else, so can't be archived together. They are not part of OS4 & there is no exception to support 3rd party apps. Maybe wiki has a support page for such things.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
ggw

Post by ggw »

What if those two 3rdParty libs are "given to" or "adopted by" DvPlayer's author who then submits them as an upate? It wouldn't mean the libs could not be used elsewhere.

Should I try to act as a middle man to negotiate between the parties?

Really, DvPlayer is not very useful without something like these, no?
sundown wrote:Those libs are not part of DvPlayer & probably done by someone else, so can't be archived together. They are not part of OS4 & there is no exception to support 3rd party apps. Maybe wiki has a support page for such things.

Ken
George Wyche
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

@ggw

For any problems, suggestions or whatever you have with DvPlayer you would be better off contacting the author directly:
http://dvplayer.amigarevolution.com/contact.html
ggw

Re: DvPlayer to play movie DVDs?

Post by ggw »

Before I go bothering the author with my ignorance about the state of computer playing of DVD movies (I played a grand total of 3) I tried and failed to play an old movie my son provided (he bought at Half-Price Books) titled "The God of Cookery" a 1996 production. I tried to get subtitles to show but could not after many separate ways of trying.

Is there problems with subtitling? My son's DVD playing appliance into a TV shows the subtitles.

Is there a hint here in the DVD specs that would give me a clue:
=================
[CC] CLOSE CAPTION
==================
MULTI AUDIO 1)Cantonese 2)Mandarin
==================
96 mins
[LB]
Letter BOX
==================
NO COPY ALLOWED
[ALL]
NTSC
==================
MPEG-2
==================
DVD-5
==================
George Wyche
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@ggw
Is there problems with subtitling? My son's DVD playing appliance into a TV shows the subtitles.
taken from the DVPlayer manual
The popular .srt and .sub subtitle formats are supported. Subtitles can be loaded manually 
or automatically. The position and appearance of subtitles can also be configured (font, 
size, colour). 
and further the tooltypes
SUBTITLEFONT=<font name>
This option lets you specify which font should be used for displaying subtitles. If not 
specified or the font cannot be found, a default will be used. 

SUBTITLEFONTSIZE=<size>
This option specifies the font size to use for displaying subtitles. If not specified, a 
default size is used. 

SUBTITLEPOSITION=<position>
This option can be used to specify the vertical position (in pixels) of subtitles on the 
display. If the value is positive, the position defines where the top of the subtitle text will 
be relative to the top of the display. If the value is negative, position defines where the 
bottom of the subtitle text will be, relative to the bottom of the display. 

SUBTITLECOLOUR=<colour>
This option lets you specify the subtitle colour. If this is not specified, the default colour 
(white) will be used. The colour can either be an RGB value in hexadecimal form 
(RRGGBB) or one of the predefined colour names: white, yellow, orange, green, blue 

SUBTITLECHARSET=<colour> (SUBCHARSET when starting from shell)
This option lets you specify what character set should be used to display the subtitles. If 
this is not specified, the default character set (which is configured in the Locale 
preferences) will be used. The value of the character set is the MIBenum value of the 
preferred character set, as defined in the file "L:CharSets/character­sets". 
And starting from shell there is another option
SUB=SUBTITLE/K ­ Subtitle file to load 
After the DVD runs you can use some menues
Subtitle 
  Load... ­ Load a subtitle from a file 
  Close   ­ Close the subtitle 
Subtitle (when DVD is being played) 
  [ ] Off ­ Subtitles off 
  [ ] Language 1 
  [ ] Language 2 
  [ ] Language n 
I don't really know (only Stephen Fellner does) but i believe that subtitle support is limited to those two (need to be extra files on the DVD) files mentioned above.
If subtitles are in any way merged into the movie file (.vob i.e.) you can probably forget it.

Maybe with a new version of DVPlayer support for those (and other) parts will boost, but that, again, only knows the author ;-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

The last version of DvPlayer added support for DVD subtitles, but I found it a bit flakey (often showing only half the subtitles on some DVDs).
ggw

Post by ggw »

@Raziel

I looked. The AUDIO_TS was empty. The VIDEO_TS file types are BUP, IFO, and VOB.

Mostly, I am just getting an easy education about what to look out for when offered a DVD video.

@ChrisH
I looked at the website months ago. Being a little smarter, I go look again... for subtitle support details and $ wanted. One of my new year's resolution is going to be see about one DVD per month in 2014. My wife's mac-air (with an attachment she bought) will play a video if *anything* will, so I will be $ conscious.
George Wyche
Creols

Post by Creols »

ChrisH wrote:The last version of DvPlayer added support for DVD subtitles, but I found it a bit flakey (often showing only half the subtitles on some DVDs).
What do you call the last version ?
Is it a recent one ?
Thank in advance.

Creols
AmigaOne XE, µA1, Sam 440ep, Sam Flex 800 MHz, Sam 460 ex, X1000 and more...
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

Just out of curiosity and a desire to have my X1000 do a great multitude of things for me, is the playing of HD video content limited by our current state of video driver(s), lack of sufficient CPU power, and/or lack of codec's supporting HD video content decoding?

Will AmigaOS4.x on the X1000 ever get a Blu-Ray player, or is this something that is physically impossible given our hardware limitations?

I know this is not directly about DvPlayer, but it seems to be a relevant question about video playback capabilities, which is what DvPlayer does.

All of my movie purchases now are Blu-Ray, or combination of Blu-Ray & DVD, and often include some form of streaming video service. I know that my X1000 is not meant to be a movie playback device, but like most Amiga users, I like having my computers do as many different things as possible. Consolidating more tasks into less devices is always a good thing in my point of view.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

AmigaDave wrote:Just out of curiosity and a desire to have my X1000 do a great multitude of things for me, is the playing of HD video content limited by our current state of video driver(s), lack of sufficient CPU power, and/or lack of codec's supporting HD video content decoding?
Yes, driver support and CPU power are both factors. If we could use the HW video decoder that Radeon HD cards have, then we would easily be able to play HD video. Getting that done would be a major project.
AmigaDave wrote:Will AmigaOS4.x on the X1000 ever get a Blu-Ray player, or is this something that is physically impossible given our hardware limitations?
The situation is a bit complex. Using the hardware video decoder is just part of the puzzle. Commercial Blu-Ray disks use AACS and HDCP to "protect" the content. AACS is the on-disk encryption, while HDCP "protects" the content as it's sent from the graphics card to the monitor. Both are mandatory to legally be able to play encrypted content. AMD won't release the developer documentation for HDCP on Radeon HD cards, because it's covered by NDAs. I doubt that the HW video decoder will decode encrypted streams without HDCP enabled. Plus, there are also sizeable annual license fees to be paid, just like with DVD CSS. So, we're unlikely to get the necessary documentation, or to be able to pay the fees needed to have a player that can legally play encrypted disks.

There will be ways around this (e.g., rip the BluRay first), but that involves circumventing the encryption.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.