no sound with Hollywood examples with onboard sound? SOLVED.

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
328gts

Re: no sound running Hollywood examples with onboard sound??

Post by 328gts »

LyleHaze wrote:I suggest a clean install.
Then test it as you add your "stuff" back in and see if it goes away again.

:)
ya I figured you were gonna say that ;)
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
ggw

Post by ggw »

LyleHaze wrote:
ggw wrote: Does this also mean that development is complete? I was hoping for a volume control that was effective while a program that was using the onboard audio was running. I have found that I can run a sound program, note its volume, quit the program adjust the volume in preferences, run the program again to enjoy the new volume. That is the only way so far that I know how to do it.
As far as I am aware, development is complete.
What software are you using that does not offer a volume control?
Neither mplayer or MUI-mplayer (altivec or not) has a working volume control while running.
I ran mplayer on my X1000's Linux Debian Wheezy (LDW) and the controls work as advertized: * for more volume and / for less.
I was sure "non-control" was my ignorance until the LDW mplayer control worked straight away.

The AmigaOS4 audio driver is proprietary, correct?
Assuming yes, can you reveal if the overall strategy is comparable between LDW's driver and AmigaOS4? I am making the rash assumption that since LDW is 100% open source, that I can study their source for the audio driver. However, can I surmise that LDW open source stops somewhere and it is below that where the on board audio hardware has closed code?
George Wyche
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

I am not familiar enough with Linux sound software and drivers to make a comparison.
ggw

Post by ggw »

LyleHaze wrote:I am not familiar enough with Linux sound software and drivers to make a comparison.
I do not have a sound card in my X1000.
I just verified that in LDW that sound from mplayer and other apps are controllable from a "speaker icon" on the screen top bar. (And separately controllable with * and / in mplayer).

The single driver on the Linux side is:
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k3.10.0X1000.
I don't know who to thank for that.

I guess that if an application is playing nice with Linux, then it puts its internal volume control in series with some calls to Advanced Linux Sound Architecture API. Then there is a volume control for all (those) applications.

Should I bother to look for a OS4 musing on that sort of cross application support? It doesn't seem like AHI counts because none if it seems usable after an application begins operation.

[And maybe this whole sound business is just too big a topic to make any "know the concepts" headway on, eh?]
George Wyche
328gts

Post by 328gts »

328gts wrote:
LyleHaze wrote:I suggest a clean install.
Then test it as you add your "stuff" back in and see if it goes away again.

:)
ya I figured you were gonna say that ;)
finally this problem was solved today by thomas & AlexC over at aw.net. http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/vie ... 9&forum=14 :D

mods this thread can be now closed- updated title of thread to solved.
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+