no sound with Hollywood examples with onboard sound? SOLVED.

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
328gts

no sound with Hollywood examples with onboard sound? SOLVED.

Post by 328gts »

The Hollywood example programs with v5.3 and my own compiled scripts just stopped working with the onboard sound?

If I go into the project folder and click on the sound file...voila the sound works so this is very strange. other games/ tunenet/ Jack (which is a Hollywood program) etc., work fine on my system so I don't think it's an AHI or driver error (mind you lately mplayer and BOH sometimes the sound cuts out as well but this is sporadic at best)
Last edited by 328gts on Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: no sound running Hollywood examples with onboard sound??

Post by salass00 »

@328gts

Have you configured both 'Music Unit' and 'Unit 0' in AHI prefs and tested that they work by using the "Play a Test Sound" button? Volume should not be set higher than +0.0dB or you will have bad sound because of clipping.
328gts

Post by 328gts »

salass00 wrote:@328gts

Have you configured both 'Music Unit' and 'Unit 0' in AHI prefs and tested that they work by using the "Play a Test Sound" button? Volume should not be set higher than +0.0dB or you will have bad sound because of clipping.
aha have an issue in that the Music Unit has the channels tab greyed out so can't make any adjustment and the test sound can't be heard on any of the 5 avaibale units?? I'm usinf v6.20 as updated by AmiUpdate.
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

328gts wrote: aha have an issue in that the Music Unit has the channels tab greyed out so can't make any adjustment and the test sound can't be heard on any of the 5 avaibale units?? I'm usinf v6.20 as updated by AmiUpdate.
The channels control being greyed out is pretty much normal as I have that here as well. If it's not greyed out make sure the volume is not at it's lowest value (if it is or if it's negative set it to +0.0dB).

I suggest using the "Unit 0: HiFi 16 bit Stereo ++" mode for Music Unit (or one of the other "Unit 0: #?" modes) as this allows having several programs using the lowlevel or exclusive interface of AHI (AKA "Music Unit" in prefs) without them blocking each other.
328gts

Post by 328gts »

@ salass00

ok done, reset X1000 but still no sound when clicking test sound in AHI prefs and no sound in Hollywood programs? boot jingle, tunenet, clicking on sound files etc all work fine??? other than reinstalling the sound driver what else can I try?
ddni

Post by ddni »

Try putting the speaker jack into other output ports, then try the mixer sound again.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

ddni wrote:Try putting the speaker jack into other output ports, then try the mixer sound again.
Mixer is not compatible with HDAudio.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

I think that the politically correct thing to say is that, "the Mixer program is currently unsupportive of the onboard HDAudio, but has every intention of becoming so once the HDAudio is more receptive to its input."
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

danbeaver wrote:I think that the politically correct thing to say is that, "the Mixer program is currently unsupportive of the onboard HDAudio, but has every intention of becoming so once the HDAudio is more receptive to its input."
Actually Dan that would be incorrect and misleading.
The mixer is used to control the summing of various hardware audio channels.
HDAudio does not support summing of audio channels, and will not be supported by the mixer.

I was never terribly good at being politically correct, but I strive for technical accuracy.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Ah, I'm not good at either, but oft pretend to be a tongue-in-cheek humorist with technical failings, vide supra.