Network Printer Support?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
bigbod

Network Printer Support?

Post by bigbod »

Hi, I'm new to Amiga OS 4.1 and I was wondering if it has any support for network printers?

I have a HP LaserJet 2600n on my home network and I was wondering if there's any chance I can print to it from my X1000?!?
AmigaONE X1000
danbeaver

Re: Network Printer Support?

Post by danbeaver »

Very simple answer: yes.

I use the lpr.device and OS4.1 instructions (found on OS4Depot.net as lpr_Dev.lha) to access my network of three printers (a bitchin' Dell 5130cdn duplexing work horse, a cheap B/W Samsung Laser for cheap output, and an HP inkjet AIO PhotoSmart. I wrote IconX scripts that copy the three different ENV settings (the different IP addresses) to select which one; I just click the icon for that printer and print.

<---My avatar is a Birman kitten named, "Diana" who decided one day she was a piece of fruit,
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Netprinter

A perfect little utilitiy that gives you the freedom of choosing between lpr and raw (direct) printing.

I'm using a HP Laserjet 1320n on my networking, sharing it between a Win box and the X, working pretty well so far.
If your printer supports PostScript it will be even easier to set up
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
bigbod

Post by bigbod »

@danbeaver @Raziel

Thanks for your replies. I'll try them both out as soon as I get a chance.

Cheers!
Rod
AmigaONE X1000
328gts

Post by 328gts »

@ bigbod

welcome aboard :D
please keep us posted here as I've got the exact same printer in my home office
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

I know it isn't the same printer, but I had an HP Color LaserJet 2605dn on my network working fine with OS 4.1; the nice thing about this printer is the ability to choose duplex output from the printer's web page. My Dell 5130cdn doesn't allow this and requires the PS embedded command :(
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

danbeaver wrote:I know it isn't the same printer, but I had an HP Color LaserJet 2605dn on my network working fine with OS 4.1; the nice thing about this printer is the ability to choose duplex output from the printer's web page. My Dell 5130cdn doesn't allow this and requires the PS embedded command :(
Mine has the same ability and duplex works of course with all programs that print from AmigaOS4 to it...but...unfortunately duplex is "forgotten" if the printer is turned off and on again (which i do automatically when turning on/off the X).

I have yet to find a way to automate that setting on bootup, but i fear that might only be possible with either an ESC command (i don't know) or through a driver (which may never be available on the X)
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

Raziel wrote: Mine has the same ability and duplex works of course with all programs that print from AmigaOS4 to it...but...unfortunately duplex is "forgotten" if the printer is turned off and on again (which i do automatically when turning on/off the X).

I have yet to find a way to automate that setting on bootup, but i fear that might only be possible with either an ESC command (i don't know) or through a driver (which may never be available on the X)
Part of the AmiWest programming class this year included a great tutorial on simple IP clients and servers.
I'll bet that lesson could be modified to write a value to your printer from user-startup.

The lesson has not yet been posted to the Wiki, but when it is it should show up herehttp://wiki.amigaos.net/index.php/AmiWest_2013_Lesson_4 when it is ready.

There were a few different discussions on how many different ways this lesson might be used, but nobody thought of printer configuration!
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@LyleHaze

Heh...

I'll definitely keep an eye out for that lesson

Thank you very much for the hint
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

The HP 2605dn keeps the setting until changed, but the Dell has no such feature, and after searching I have found an ESC code reported on the net for PCL as "ESC&l1S" for long-edge binding and "ESC&l2S" for short-edge binding; Ghostscript does include the feature as an option (-dDUPLEX -dTUMBLE) as well as the PS code " << /DUPLEX TRUE>> setpagedevice " but there is no easy way to include that (except in FinalWriter). For AmiPDF I can output the PDF as a PS file and manually paste it in, then copy it to the lpr.device -- as a COPY file.ps to PAR: per my DEVS: config redirection.

It would be a nice feature to include in the printer driver...

P.S., those ESC code in hex are: 1B 26 6C 31 53 and 1B 26 6C 32 53 respectively. I guess an easy way to make this sequence is with filex (filex.lha on OS4Depot).