Network Printer Support?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
my_pc_is_amiga

Re: Network Printer Support?

Post by my_pc_is_amiga »

There may be way to send the escape sequence to PRT: by using echo and redirecting it to prt: (which goes through the printer driver):

echo "put your esacpe sequence here" > PRT:

The thing to figure out is how to send that non-supported printer driver sequence (i.e. is there a printer driver command sequence that tells the driver to send the next command directly to the printer?)
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

I believe data sent to the PRT: device is converted via the driver and raw sequences should go to the PAR: device instead.

I'm having motherboard issues right now or I would check it.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

If one of you get that ESC sequence going, let me know.

Here it's only printing it, stupid driver :-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
bigbod

Post by bigbod »

328gts wrote:@ bigbod

welcome aboard :D
please keep us posted here as I've got the exact same printer in my home office
Well it turns out the LaserJet 2600n is a "host-based" printer so I don't think it will work with lpr.device, as it does not support LPD. I'm happy to be corrected on this if anyone thinks otherwise :)

I've also got a LaserJet Pro 400 Colour MFP M475dn, which I hope to have more success with. I'm going to put it on my home network in the next few days.
AmigaONE X1000
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Hi!

I use a Samsung Ml-1740 laser printer (dirt cheap operating costs) with an EDIMAX Ethernet to Centronics interface on my lpr.device network and an HP Color LaserJet 2605dn (and my Dell 5130cdn) without issue, so perhaps the HP 2600n may work as well. Just following the "If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck..." theory.
bigbod

Post by bigbod »

danbeaver wrote:I use a Samsung Ml-1740 laser printer (dirt cheap operating costs) with an EDIMAX Ethernet to Centronics interface on my lpr.device network and an HP Color LaserJet 2605dn (and my Dell 5130cdn) without issue, so perhaps the HP 2600n may work as well. Just following the "If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck..." theory.
Hi, I thought that too, but on further reading I don't think the 2600n looks much like a duck. From a HP support document on the 2600n and host based printing...

"Host-based printing requires a software print engine in the host operating system, and unlike a PDL (Printer Description Language) printer, cannot accept ASCII text direct from a computer. This means that the host-based printer will only work in the Microsoft Windows and Macintosh environments that are specifically supported with the print engine written for that environment".

The 1500, 2600n, 3500 and 3550 Series Printers are all (apparently) host-based printers.
AmigaONE X1000
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

The 2600n works on Linux though I could not find out much about the drivers; I don't know if the presence of GhostScript Is what allows it to operate in that environment, but GS exists on the Amiga OS 4.1 as well.

The lpr.device allows RAW and port 9100 printing as well.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

The 2600n should feature a network based settings page you can access with your browser.
Normally HP printers are pretty good settings wise and let you check all the possibilities on that site...at least, mine does :-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
bigbod

Post by bigbod »

danbeaver wrote:The 2600n works on Linux though I could not find out much about the drivers; I don't know if the presence of GhostScript Is what allows it to operate in that environment, but GS exists on the Amiga OS 4.1 as well.
That is interesting. I did read somewhere that the printer requires a downloadable driver plug-in for Linux, probably from here :-
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... 2600n.html

Strangely, in any case, HP seem to deny Linux support for the 2600n, because of it's host-based architecture :-
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/h ... cachetoken

Maybe RAW will work. I can give that a try.
Raziel wrote:The 2600n should feature a network based settings page you can access with your browser.
Normally HP printers are pretty good settings wise and let you check all the possibilities on that site...at least, mine does :-)
Yes, the 2600n has web management like most other HP models.
AmigaONE X1000
my_pc_is_amiga

Post by my_pc_is_amiga »

Raziel wrote:If one of you get that ESC sequence going, let me know.

Here it's only printing it, stupid driver :-)
Not sure if this will work but you can try:

ECHO > PRT: "*E[5*"r*E&l1S"

ESC is *E in shell
and *E[n"r means that this is a raw comand, n is the number of bytes in this case 5 bytes: *E&l1S
My understanding is tha raw means any command going directly to the printer without going to through the printer device