Network Printer Support?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Network Printer Support?

Post by nbache »

danbeaver wrote:AmiPDF uses a call to GhostScript to print, but it is imbedded in the program so it can't be modified to allow other arguments, such as "-dDUPLEX -dTUMBLE;"
There is a field for specifying the parameters to the gs command within the printer tab page of the AmiPDF configuration window.

Best regards,

Niels
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Thank you!! I never explored that page (dumb me, or as some say, "My Bad").
xenic

Post by xenic »

Raziel wrote:@xenic
Might be because i don't have a printer on my USB.
The printer is on my network, through a LAN cable directly plugged into the router and can be accessed via html/browser.
I just saw your plea "If one of you get that ESC sequence going, let me know." and all the posts about echoing escape codes to PRT: so thought I could help.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

xenic wrote:
Raziel wrote:@xenic
Might be because i don't have a printer on my USB.
The printer is on my network, through a LAN cable directly plugged into the router and can be accessed via html/browser.
I just saw your plea "If one of you get that ESC sequence going, let me know." and all the posts about echoing escape codes to PRT: so thought I could help.
Of course, i'm sorry

Thank you very much for the idea

The more input the merrier :-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
xenic

Post by xenic »

danbeaver wrote:In the DEVS folder is the NSDConfig file that, among other things, is responsible for redirection of devices such as the PAR: to lpr.device; it's use is described in the file itself and the lpr.device docs.

I use it for the statram.device as well to mount a ram-based df1: for use.

I built a file of just the 5 byte codes using filex and tried it to force a duplex from my Dell printer without success. For now I am going back to editing GhostScript commands to get pdf's duplexed.
Unfortunately, SetPatch and the NSDConfig file have not been updated for SAM460 and X1000. If you read SetPatch with a hex reader, you'll see that it only recognizes AMIGAONE and SAM440ep for the "MACHINE=" argument in the NSDConfig file.

Since my X1000 doesn't even have a parallel.device, remapping that wouldn't do anything anyway.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

xenic wrote:Since my X1000 doesn't even have a parallel.device, remapping that wouldn't do anything anyway.
I think it would. You don't have to have a parallel.device to map requests for it to something else (e.g. lpr.device), that's sort of the point ;-).

And the MACHINE argument is not really necessary for modifying your own NSDPatch.cfg on a specific machine, just as long as you don't copy that file to another machine type. If it isn't specified, it just means the remap will take place regardless of the machine type.

Best regards,

Niels
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Well I don't really have a trackdisk.device on my X1000, but I route input to it into my statram.device and I print to the PAR: device which is passed thru to the lpr.device; so it sure seems the NSDconfig is working, especially when I can see the re-assigns by typing setpatch at a prompt.
328gts

Post by 328gts »

bigbod wrote:Hi, I'm new to Amiga OS 4.1 and I was wondering if it has any support for network printers?

I have a HP LaserJet 2600n on my home network and I was wondering if there's any chance I can print to it from my X1000?!?
any luck with your 2600n as I've tried both lpr and network.device with no luck :( damn gotta get this baby to print as it's my only work horse now in my home office :x

sadly it won't work via USB either(at least not until terminills finishes gutenprint I suppose)
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

-dDUPLEX doesn't work with my printer unfortunately, so i'm waiting for the "LAN program solution"
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

It works through GhostScript, provided your printer supports duplex and PostScript. Have you tried it with FinalWriter?