Warm reboot fails

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
alfkil

Warm reboot fails

Post by alfkil »

I have had this problem since the beginning. Cold reboot works just fine, but warm rebooting from wb only works very seldomly. I have tried unplugging the power as explained in the wiki, removing media from the DVD drive, but it still doesn't work. Very frustrating when coding (=crashing often=having to go all the way back to bios every time). Has anyone else experienced this?
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Warm reboot fails

Post by ssolie »

I used to have some warm reboot troubles when my CMOS battery was slowly dying.
ExecSG Team Lead
xenic

Post by xenic »

@alfkil
Does the "C:reboot FAST" command work?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
alfkil

Post by alfkil »

@xenic

No.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

If C:Reboot FAST doesn't work then something is obviously wrong.

You probably already did this but make sure AmiUpdate reports back there are no updates available. The kernel handles rebooting and that reboot routine hasn't changed in a long time. The other thing C:Reboot does is inhibit all the drives before a reboot is initiated to give FFS a chance to commit outstanding writes. So perhaps one of the drives (CD/DVD or HD) is the source of the reboot trouble?

I think you should try opening a support ticket with AmigaKit in case this is some hardware-related issue. I'm hoping they have some experience with this scenario.
ExecSG Team Lead
xenic

Post by xenic »

@alfkil
I've never had a booting problem with my X1000 but did experience similar problems with my SAM Flex. The rebooting problem with my SAM turned out to be the power connection to my DVD drive. I know that doesn't make sense, but when I removed the glob of glue that AmiKit put on that connection and reseated it, my reboot problem disappeared. Eventually I had to remove the AmiKit glue from other connections to reseat connectors and get things working properly again. When I take my SAM with me to visit relatives, I almost always need to reseat the connectors to get it working properly. Personally, it seems like old style connectors (like ribbon cable connectors) made more reliable contact than some newer connectors. It might be worthwhile to check your internal connections.
alfkil

Post by alfkil »

@xenic

Huh? I just did the power-disconnect thing again, reseated the DVD connectors, and now it successfully warm-rebooted twice in a row! Thanks for the tip, if that streak continues, I will be a very happy, and timewise wealthier, man.

EDIT: I was happy a little too soon... It seems, that when I turn it on, I can successfully warm reboot two or three times, if I'm quick. Then it stops working. Battery?
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

alfkil wrote:@xenic

Huh? I just did the power-disconnect thing again, reseated the DVD connectors, and now it successfully warm-rebooted twice in a row! Thanks for the tip, if that streak continues, I will be a very happy, and timewise wealthier, man.

EDIT: I was happy a little too soon... It seems, that when I turn it on, I can successfully warm reboot two or three times, if I'm quick. Then it stops working. Battery?
ssolie wrote: I used to have some warm reboot troubles when my CMOS battery was slowly dying.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

xenic, I know it does seems strange, but I think you are absolutely on to something. I also have had some intermittent behaviour problems with my X1000 including some lockups and reboot issues as well as the optical drive "disappearing." Hard to diagnose when it's not constant and hard to 100 percent blame the glue blob, but over the months I found if I wiggled the motherboard SATA connection for the optical drive I could temporarily solve some things. Eventually, I removed the glue glob and also replaced the SATA cable. Things seem better now! I had a similar problem with a Sam complete system that had glue securing the cables, and I actually mangled a SATA header a little bit on that motherboard because of the glue. (It still works and new owner has had no problems, but the header is a little bit broken now.)

I agree old-style ribbon connections and molex headers seem far more secure than modern SATA data and power connections, and somehow the glue makes it worse when you'd think it would make it better. Seems likely my next A-Eon/AmigaKit computer will be purchased as a motherboard just because of my personal circumstance, but if I do order a complete system I will request no glue blobs.
xenic

Post by xenic »

mbrantley wrote: I agree old-style ribbon connections and molex headers seem far more secure than modern SATA data and power connections, and somehow the glue makes it worse when you'd think it would make it better. Seems likely my next A-Eon/AmigaKit computer will be purchased as a motherboard just because of my personal circumstance, but if I do order a complete system I will request no glue blobs.
I don't think the glue makes connections worse, it just prevents a poor connection from being easily reseated. I understand that the connections are being glued to avoid having a user receive a computer that doesn't work out of the box. However, I think that the glue increases the likelihood of damage to motherboard or connectors if the user needs to remove the glue to replace a cable or component (drive, memory etc.).