Could someone with an X1000 try this? (Now Repeatable)

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
ktadd

Could someone with an X1000 try this? (Now Repeatable)

Post by ktadd »

Update:
I've experimented some more and based on xenic's input I have created a video showing how to consistantly re-produce this bug.
Notice the subtitles at the bottom of the video. (<2M)
Here it is: http://home.comcast.net/~ktadd/Videos/B ... y_bug1.mp4

======================================

I have a problem where Odyssey web broswer locks the whole system when I use the Screen to back button to switch screens after downloading a file.
Kas1e has been unable to re-produce the problem and after experimenting some more I'm suspecting it could be a timing related issue. I was wondering if someone else with an X1000 could try to re-produce the problem and report your results here. Note that it's expecially reproducable when my Workbench screen is 1920x1080 16bit and the Odyssey screen is 1920x1080 32bit.

Here is a link to the bug report with details on how to re-produce the problem. View the comments as well for full information.
http://bugs.os4depot.net/?function=view ... ssueid=858

Thanks in advance for anyone that takes on this challenge.
Last edited by ktadd on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kevin - X1000 first contact / uA1
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Re: Could someone with an X1000 try this?

Post by trevordick »

I usually run Odyssey on the Workbench but I tried it on its own screen 1980x1020x32 and downoaded a file from OS4deport then hit "screen to back" button to return to Workbench, which is also set at 1980x1020x32. No issues, but I am running the latest beta version of AmigaOS4.1 with all the updates.

Trevor

I will try with a 1980x1020x16 Workbench to see if that makes any difference? (Edit: typo)

UPDATE: No issue with the WB screen set at 1980x1020x16 either
I'm just Breezin'
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

How do you "Start OWB on it's own screen" ?
I was using Odyssey 1.16. Set up Odyssey's own Screen under Settings/MUI

Trevor
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
ktadd

Post by ktadd »

@Trevor

Thanks for trying it. When I download a file I use the context menu and select "Download link" one one of the readme files. If i just click on a file.la file to download the problem doesn't occur. Also, if it doesn't occur on the first screen switch, try clicking several times on the screen to back gadget several times quickly to switch screens several times.

It locks up all the time for me. I work around it by using allkeys and assigning the Amiga-m and Amiga-n keys to my extra mouse buttons and and and using those to switch screens.
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Thank you Trevor for the tip, but...
did you edit my own post ? :D
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
xenic

Post by xenic »

ktadd wrote: Here is a link to the bug report with details on how to re-produce the problem. View the comments as well for full information.
http://bugs.os4depot.net/?function=view ... ssueid=858

Thanks in advance for anyone that takes on this challenge.
It was an impossible challenge for me because there is no "screen to back" button on the upper left side of my screen. Did you mean the "screen to back" system gadget on the right side of the screen dragbar?
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
ktadd

Post by ktadd »

@xenic
It was an impossible challenge for me because there is no "screen to back" button on the upper left side of my screen. Did you mean the "screen to back" system gadget on the right side of the screen dragbar?
Err...yes of course your right.....I meant the other left side. (err...right side). :oops:
xenic

Post by xenic »

ktadd wrote: Err...yes of course your right.....I meant the other left side. (err...right side). :oops:
I suspected as much. I can't use your screen resolution with my monitor but I tried the download procedure you described using my screen settings and could not reproduce your crash. I don't think that means there isn't a bug because there are just so many MUI, Odyssey & system setting that could be different than yours.

I can only suggest that you set Odyssey to open on a non-MUI public screen and see if you can reproduce your crash. You can do that by changing your MUI/Screen prefs to "foreign public screen named" and enter a public screen name. Of course, the screen will need to be open when you start Odyssey.

You could also try editing Odyssey screen in MUI/Screen prefs and change it to "Like Workbench" and conduct your download test.

EDIT: I was finally able to reproduce problems that seem to be triggered by using the popup menu to download a file. I couldn't reliably reproduce your crash (only once) but noticed related crashes and problems described below:

Test 1.
Create an MUI screen for Odyssey that has "Like Workbench" checked in the screen settings.
Open Odyssey on that screen and go to OS4Depot page.
Download a description file using the context menu "downlaod linked file" menu item.
After the download completes, left click on a system gadget (i.e. window close gadget, iconify gadget etc.) without releasing the left mouse button and move the pointer off of the gadget before releasing the left mouse button.
The gadget appears to be getting dragged to the location where the mouse button was released.

Test 2.
Create a 32bit MUI screen for Odyssey that DOES NOT have "Like Workbench" checked in the screen settings.
Open Odyssey on that screen and go to OS4Depot page.
Download a description file using the context menu "downlaod linked file" menu item.
Do not close the Download window after the download is complete.
Click on the Odyssey window close button.
Usually there is a system freeze or graphics corruption.
Sometimes it may be necessary to repeat test 2 for problems to occur.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
ktadd

Post by ktadd »

@xenic
I can only suggest that you set Odyssey to open on a non-MUI public screen and see if you can reproduce your crash. You can do that by changing your MUI/Screen prefs to "foreign public screen named" and enter a public screen name. Of course, the screen will need to be open when you start Odyssey. You could also try editing Odyssey screen in MUI/Screen prefs and change it to "Like Workbench" and conduct your download test.
Yes, I had tried those things and still get the crash.

EDIT: I was finally able to reproduce problems that seem to be triggered by using the popup menu to download a file. I couldn't reliably reproduce your crash (only once) but noticed related crashes and problems described below:

Test 1....
Test 2...
Yes, those sound like some of the crashes I've seen as well. The method I outlined is the one that just crashes more consistantly for me. (almost every time)

Your "Test 1" results sound like the problem I've seen very occassionally when closing the window. I'll bet I just hadn't relized I was dragging the mouse off the close gadget before releasing the button.

Your "Test 2" sounds similiar to what I'm seeing when I try to click the screen to back gadget after downloading. In my case I have the download window close automatically after the download so it's not open at the time of the freeze.

I did a little more experimenting myself and found something intresting that I wanted to explore further. I usually run with "composting" turned off. I decided to try turnning it on and seeing if I could re-create the problem. Turned out when I turned on "composting" I could switch screens without a freeze, so I turned it back on and could still switch screens without a freeze. I left it off and did a soft reboot. The proboem came back. I still need to do some more expirmenting to see if I'm it's actually related to the composting setting though.

Thanks for the effort you have put into re-producing this issue. What you are seeing is very similiar to what I have been experiencing and I'm betting it's the same cause. At least someone else is seeing the issue.
ktadd

Re: Could someone with an X1000 try this? (Repeatable)

Post by ktadd »

I've experimented some more and based on xenic's input I have created a video showing how to consistantly re-produce this bug.
Notice the subtitles at the bottom of the video. (<2M)
Here it is: http://home.comcast.net/~ktadd/Videos/B ... y_bug1.mp4