numlock off default on USB keyboard?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
my_pc_is_amiga

numlock off default on USB keyboard?

Post by my_pc_is_amiga »

I have a keyboard that I would like to have the numlock off during boot in CFE and also in AmigaOS. I tried the hid.keyboard/numlockoff=1 env. variable in AmigaDOS but does seem to work. Is there any CFE command to do this?
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: numlock off default on USB keyboard?

Post by nexus »

Do you have a KVM switch between keyboard/mouse and your Amiga?

Can you try the following:
1. setenv SAVE usb/hid.keyboard/numlockoff 1
2. reboot
3. If the number block is still not switched off, unplug the keyboard from your KVM and plug it in again.
4 Report, if the number block is now switched off.
my_pc_is_amiga

Post by my_pc_is_amiga »

Thanks. Yes, I have a KVM switch.

I did that procdure and this is the result.

a) Numlock LED light was still lit.
b) However,the function of the keys are now to use the arrow keys, del. etc. that are on a normal keyboard with a numberpad. That is, the numberpad 4 is a left arrow and numberpad 6 is right arrow. So looks like the numlock is using these key functions.

The keyboard I have, however, does not have numberpad. Instead, the letter on normal keyboard "u" is a 4 in numlock mode, "i" is 5 in numlock mode.

So in summary,
1) When setting numlockoff=1, this keyboard uses the arrow functions and numlock led is lit.
2) If I press numlock, numlock is still lit but it will now use the numbers
3) If I press numlock a 2nd time, numlock turns off and the keyboard will function with letters.

I cannot use the keyboard to get the above (1) state. Using the numlock itself on the keyboard will only toggle between (2) and (3).
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

Thanks for the report!

This is a known bug, however, it seems to be related to KVM switches. When you immediately connect the keyboard to your Amiga, the "NUMLOCKOFF" variable should work fine. Additionally, if you are in state 2) of your description after a reboot, then by unplugging and replugging the keyboard you should get into state 3) without pressing "numlock"-key a 2nd time. I know, this is not in any way better, however could you test it to confirm this behaviour?
Oh, and can you name the brand/model of your KVM switch such that we can verify that it happens with different KVM switches?

Again,thank you for the report and I will add your findings to the existing Bugzilla report which will help to resolve it.

regards,
nexus
my_pc_is_amiga

Post by my_pc_is_amiga »

I have a Belkin 4 port switch -- don't know the model number off hand. After the OS is loaded and with numlockoff=1 aleady set in envarc:, the keyboard is in state (1). When I unplug the the keyboard from the kvm and then re-attach, I'm still in state (1). This kvm switch has some kind of detection if a keyboard is connected or not ... when the keyboard is disonnected the kvm starts beeping.

A seperate thing I noticed on the X1000 CFE console is if I push capslock, LED is not lit on the keyboard but it does turn the capitals on....
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Reading through this I can't see what keyboard the OP is using (unless I can't see it for looking in which a case I apologise but could you repeat and perhaps post a photograph).

As his behaviour is somewhat odd, ie not just issues with the light be intially out of phase with the numlock state but a completely different key handling, it would help any dev to know.

With my keyboard a fairly basic Kensington keyboard with Numpad, when the numlockoff variable is set then numlock functionality is off *but* the light is on. I suspect the light is turned on either by UBoot or the bootkeyboard driver and that switching numlock off programatically doesn't by itself toggle the state of the light (might need a seperate command).

A simple work arround for this might be to buy a simpler more standard keyboard.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Occam's Razor -- the simplest solution is often the best.
my_pc_is_amiga

Post by my_pc_is_amiga »

It kind of looks like this:

http://shop.goldtouch.com/collections/e ... atible-usb

If you zoom into the right-most portion of the keyboard you can see where the numlock keypad is part of the letters and not seperate keys

The model is different though; it is SKR-4200U
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Yes, you are right.
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

broadblues wrote: As his behaviour is somewhat odd, ie not just issues with the light be intially out of phase with the numlock state but a completely different key handling, it would help any dev to know.
I do not think that this is related to the keyboard. The different key handling is caused by the 'Setenv NUMLOCKOFF 1' environment variable. if you do not set the NUMLOCKOFF variable, then there are only 2 states: Either the numlock is on or off :)
I can reproduce the described behaviour with both keyboards I have. One of the keyboards has a separated number block, and one does not have one (IBM ThinkPad Keybaord).

However, it seems to be related to the KVM switch because if you immediately connect the keyboard to the AmigaX1000, the environment variable behaves correctly.
A simple work arround for this might be to buy a simpler more standard keyboard.
Yes, or not using a KVM. Though, both workarounds are not a real solution.

Anyway, i have already added the findings to Bugzilla.

cheers,
nexus