AmiDVD: Cannot write DVD/CDs anymore

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Raziel

AmiDVD: Cannot write DVD/CDs anymore

Post by Raziel »

Latest updates installed.
AmiDVD 1.49

AmiDVD refuses to write *anything* to DVD/CD.

I'm getting
SCSI command 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 failed
sense: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 21 00 00 00 00 00
on every file/files/subdir/bin or whatever i'm trying.

The same works with the freely available FryingPan so i'm suspecting a bug in AmiDVD.
And no, it's not my DVD writer, i switched to another one and it produced the very same error.

Original cables from AmiKit still in.
I know it worked some time back.

Can anyone confirm?

FryingPan is outdated and not very much fun to work with (especially since MUI has been updated it's throwing a lot of warnings) so i'd really really like to see a bugfix.

AmiDVD is small, fast and easy to work with
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Phantom

Re: AmiDVD: Cannot write DVD/CDs anymore

Post by Phantom »

AmiDVD and FryingPan is different things, with Frying Pan you can easily create CDDA and data CDs, while with AmiDVD you just burn an ISO image (correct me if I'm wrong with this), so there is not possibility to create your own CD step by step (either music, video or data CD). I've registered FryingPan in the past, it's sad that this project seems abandoned.
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Phantom wrote:AmiDVD and FryingPan is different things, with Frying Pan you can easily create CDDA and data CDs, while with AmiDVD you just burn an ISO image (correct me if I'm wrong with this), so there is not possibility to create your own CD step by step (either music, video or data CD). I've registered FryingPan in the past, it's sad that this project seems abandoned.
No, sorry, you are wrong.

AmiDVD may be small but it is a "full blown" CD/DVD creation program (so to speak...without all the bells and whistles)

Take a look here.
This is a step-by-step guide to produce a new bootable AmigaOS4 CD...i followed that steps and it brought the behaviour to my attention.

After i got this error i tried to simply copy one file and tried to burn it to a medium, same error and ever since it comes up (even after switching to another drive).
It looks like AmiDVD is trying to use commands that aren't supported anymore(?)

Edit: Just to add: I produced lots of data and music cds in the past, never tried with video cds though, but they all worked fine in any other reader (even in my car)
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

What have you tried to fix the problem (rolled back updates, tried a fresh OS install, etc)?
joerg

Post by joerg »

Raziel wrote:FryingPan is outdated and not very much fun to work with (especially since MUI has been updated it's throwing a lot of warnings) so i'd really really like to see a bugfix.

AmiDVD is small, fast and easy to work with
I'll check the AmiDVD error, but you'll have to fix FyingPan yourself or find someone else who does it: https://code.google.com/p/amiga-fryingp ... /?repo=app
joerg

Post by joerg »

Raziel wrote:AmiDVD refuses to write *anything* to DVD/CD.

I'm getting
It's not trying to write but read something, "Create Image" in the 2nd tab reads from a CD/DVD and creates an image file from it. Of course that fails if it's a blank ;)
You have to use "Burn CD-R" (or whatever media you want to burn) to write an image file, or on the fly directory but I don't recommend using that, to the blank CD/DVD instead.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

joerg wrote:
Raziel wrote:AmiDVD refuses to write *anything* to DVD/CD.

I'm getting
It's not trying to write but read something, "Create Image" in the 2nd tab reads from a CD/DVD and creates an image file from it. Of course that fails if it's a blank ;)
You have to use "Burn CD-R" (or whatever media you want to burn) to write an image file, or on the fly directory but I don't recommend using that, to the blank CD/DVD instead.
Now that is strange...i need to *create* an image of that subdir first to be able to burn it to CD?
My memory seems to be failing me again, as i'm "pretty" sure i was able to burn whole subdirs to a CD :-(

Sorry for the noise then, found the way it worked.

btw: nice to see you around joerg :-)
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
joerg

Post by joerg »

Raziel wrote:Now that is strange...i need to *create* an image of that subdir first to be able to burn it to CD?
My memory seems to be failing me again, as i'm "pretty" sure i was able to burn whole subdirs to a CD :-(
You don't have to create an image file, you can enable "on the fly" at the top instead and burn a directory directly. But AmiDVD doesn't check for all possible errors before starting to burn a CD/DVD that way, it's safer to create an image file first (1st tab, not 2nd), and then burn that image file. If something goes wrong creating the ISO you only have a broken file instead of a broken CD/DVD.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

joerg wrote:
Raziel wrote:Now that is strange...i need to *create* an image of that subdir first to be able to burn it to CD?
You don't have to create an image file, you can enable "on the fly" at the top instead and burn a directory directly. But AmiDVD doesn't check for all possible errors before starting to burn a CD/DVD that way, it's safer to create an image file first (1st tab, not 2nd), and then burn that image file. If something goes wrong creating the ISO you only have a broken file instead of a broken CD/DVD.
Yes, mea culpa :-(
I missed the part with the image :-(

Would it maybe be possible to add an error requester instead of that cryptic error message?
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg