Dead X1000? :( [SOLVED]

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
AmigaNG

Re: Dead X1000? :(

Post by AmigaNG »

What is the serial output saying during the boot process?
I cant see that like I said it doesn't appear to be sending a signal to my monitor. Seem to be locked up before the bios starts, most likely the motherboard detecting a fault with the CPU before it boots.
Did you ensure the X1000 was always powered down before you tinkered inside?
Waited half hour disconnect from the mains before messing with it, and was very, very careful, as I know how much this machine is. Next to my car its the dearest thing I bought most likely.
Curious... is your X1000 a stock system or have added cards, cables, drives... etc...
Yep, hardware wise nothing change since I got it from Amigakit, not tinkered with it until I got the problem.

Anyone know the cost of repair? Amigakit haven't got back to me yet with my updated. also I dont know about my warranty as its over two years now.
2012 - the year I got a new Amiga and the world ended.....a good year.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

AmigaNG wrote:
What is the serial output saying during the boot process?
I cant see that like I said it doesn't appear to be sending a signal to my monitor.
That's not what Tony asks about. You need a null-modem cable and a terminal program on another computer at the other end.

Just because you don't get anything visible on the X1000's own screen, doesn't mean it couldn't have tried sending some early cries of help (aka debug output) to the serial port, those will only be visible by means of a serial link.

More explanation here: http://wiki.amigaos.net/index.php/Advan ... ging_Guide

Best regards,

Niels
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

A serial debug log would be great as it would help narrow down the issue.
Had a customer with simular type of issue and debug log helped solve it.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
AmigaNG

Post by AmigaNG »

Sorry guys, I dont have serial cable, nor have I ever done that level of debugging before. Sorry, I think it most likely a Amigakit repair job,
2012 - the year I got a new Amiga and the world ended.....a good year.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

AmigaNG wrote:Sorry guys, I dont have serial cable, nor have I ever done that level of debugging before. Sorry, I think it most likely a Amigakit repair job,
Serial debugging has been challenging for some, mostly because a serial cable and a NULL modem cable are physically identical, and many people don't know how to tell the difference. Serial debugging also requires a second computer with a serial port. And on an X1000 a serial header is required to bring the motherboard pins up to a DB9 connector.

If the only issue is lack of a NULL modem cable, I'll mail you one. Only asking that you mail it back when you are finished.

I can not offer you the motherboard header or the second computer though. Those would be up to you to source.

Nothing at all wrong with sending it back to AmigaKit, I only offer in hopes of saving you shipping and repair costs.

I checked your profile to see where you are, but didn't find anything there.

*My wife has been "thrift shopping" lately, and I found a local store that sells brand new NULL modem cables for $2 US each.
I grabbed one to keep as a spare. Perhaps I should have grabbed a few more.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

LyleHaze wrote:If the only issue is lack of a NULL modem cable, I'll mail you one. Only asking that you mail it back when you are finished.

I can not offer you the motherboard header or the second computer though. Those would be up to you to source.
I think AmigaKit could also supply the appropriate serial port cable, etc. if he wants to go that route.
Nothing at all wrong with sending it back to AmigaKit, I only offer in hopes of saving you shipping and repair costs.
It can cost quite a bit to ship things but the good news is AmigaKit has some of the best rates around.

Another option might be to see if there are any more Amiga friendly people in your local area. I've heard many stories of Amiga people helping each other out with hardware issues.
ExecSG Team Lead
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

You mentioned in first post that you see two lights on the Nemo board.
Unless my documents are wrong there should be three.

You can check this out without touching the board. Just open the case and take a
photo of the LEDs. if you can post that photo here then we will know a bit more.

If you're not getting all the "power good" lights there then there's not much point
in setting up a debug cable.

The X1000TRM.pdf page 18 shows the meaning of six of those eight LEDs.
If looking into an upright case the LEDs are numbered as
LED8, LED7, LED6, LED5, LED4, LED3, LED2, LED1

LEDs 5,4 and 3 should be lit
LEDs 2 and 1 should be out.

I hesitate because too many people suggesting too many different things usually
ends badly. Considering that I'm asking you to do this without actually touching anything
inside the case. I do NOT want to give advice that may harm your baby.

Good Luck,
LyleHaze

I wonder if AmigaKit makes null modem cables that can go between a NG Amiga (9 pin) and a classic Amiga(25 pin) serial ports?
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Rigo »

For cables that have 25 and 9 pin plugs, you need a "LapLink" serial cable. These were very popular back in the 90's, and werer also supplied with the LapLink networking software. They have both 9 and 25 pin plugs on either end.

Simon
amigakit
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by amigakit »

I wonder if AmigaKit makes null modem cables that can go between a NG Amiga (9 pin) and a classic Amiga(25 pin) serial ports?
You suppose correctly: we make all kinds of cables :-)
Customer Help & Support: http://www.amigakit.com/help

www.amigakit.com Amiga Computer Store
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

Mine has aslo been misbehaving recently, I finally tracked the problem down the the ethernet can not being positioned correctly.

Things to do before returning it...

Remove the cpu fan and clean the heatsink, move was totally clogged with dust.
Here's mine: Image
Remove the ram and use a brush to clean the sockets
Do the same for any installed cards.
Carefully check the back plates of any cards, my ethernet cards was slightly bent which caused the misalignment.
Try a different gfx card if you can.