Dead X1000? :( [SOLVED]

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Dead X1000? :(

Post by nbache »

Severin wrote:Remove the cpu fan and clean the heatsink, move was totally clogged with dust.
Here's mine:
Good gracious, that's quite a buildup you had there! :o

Do you have any inwards-blowing case fans which don't have a filter on them? Or maybe some other place where unfiltered air is sucked into the case passively?

Might be worth a check.

Best regards,

Niels
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

nbache wrote:Do you have any inwards-blowing case fans which don't have a filter on them? Or maybe some other place where unfiltered air is sucked into the case passively?
Loads, I don't have the proper case as you've seen... no filters on anything and loads of ventalation holes. I don't even have the proper backplate from amigakit as I can't really afford it as it's bundled with the printed manual.

A lot of the time I run it without the side on as I was always having to 'tweak' things to get it to boot. but at least now i can put the side back on which will help.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Severin wrote:no filters on anything and loads of ventalation holes. I don't even have the proper backplate from amigakit as I can't really afford it as it's bundled with the printed manual.
If one day you can get together a few quid for it, something like these might be helpful. I have one (not sure if it's the same brand, but the same principle at least) over my only hitherto unfiltered inwards fan, which has proven a really big help to delay the necessity of cleaning out the innards.

Guess you could even find a way to fit one over the space where the backplate should be.
A lot of the time I run it without the side on as I was always having to 'tweak' things to get it to boot. but at least now i can put the side back on which will help.
Well, at least it's easier to see and remove the dust with your easy-access MB side panel :-).

Best regards,

Niels
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

nbache wrote:If one day you can get together a few quid for it, something like these might be helpful. I have one (not sure if it's the same brand, but the same principle at least) over my only hitherto unfiltered inwards fan, which has proven a really big help to delay the necessity of cleaning out the innards.

Guess you could even find a way to fit one over the space where the backplate should be.
More than a few quid :( This case has 5 fan holes to cover, ventilation holes in the front and back. but as I'm not using any fans I'll probably go with the far cheaper 'duct tape' method and maybe even by the backpanel eventually.

What I might do is fit a large copper heatsink and have the 120mm fan in the back of the case blowing over it and a side fan with cardboard deflector to suck out the hot air
ddni

Post by ddni »

I nearly vomited my porridge at that ghastly picture! Shame on you for letting it get that dirty ;) Do you live in a treacle factory? :D

There is so little heat produced by an X1000, that inward blowing fans are not really needed. Exhaust fans to take the warm air away and minimise inward airflow should be enough. Put a decent filter over the obvious inward air routes though.
AmigaNG

Post by AmigaNG »

Firstly thanks for your very kind and cool offer LyleHaze, but I think Amigakit is the answer. I live in the UK and they are about 3hrs if a little less drive time to get there so I will take it down to them and hope they can fix it on the day and enjoy the sights and sounds of Cardiff which I never visited before so will be kind of an interesting day (hopefully in two weeks time when I got some time of work). Just encase anyone is interested I have uploaded a small video of the problem, not sure how the Youtube private thing works but hope you can see it at.
http://youtu.be/qkGoGgRffaY
I find it odd that the light on the mouse usb come on for a second and then goes off. Like I said only two lights are on, you cant really see in the vid as the light are too bright.

PS:Severin you should really take more care of your X1000, poor poor machine.
2012 - the year I got a new Amiga and the world ended.....a good year.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

AmigaNG wrote:Firstly thanks for your very kind and cool offer LyleHaze, but I think Amigakit is the answer. ...
Ahh yes, that great deal I found on NULL modem cables? I went back to that thrift store and found the remaining four had been marked down to $1 USD each. Even I can not pass on such a deal, so four dollars later I had the lot.

After getting back home, A closer look revealed that these cables have 9 pin MALE connectors on each end, making them useless to me (and definitely NOT NULL modem cables).

So all told I am $6 poorer for thinking I had a bargain.

The moral of the story, buy your cables from a reputable dealer like AmigaKit, and live worry-free.
I suppose if it only cost me six bucks to learn that, then I got away cheap.

Please come back and let us know what you learned about your X1000 problem!

Severin, you should know that I offer a completely FREE X1000 cleaning service. All you have to do is pay shipping both ways to my house. And this week we have a special.. the first five customers get a FREE Male-Male NULL modem cable! :?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Lyle:

All you gotta do now is buy eight female-female gender-changers !!
cheers
tony
xenic

Post by xenic »

nbache wrote:Good gracious, that's quite a buildup you had there! :o
I had the same problem when I had a µA1. The CPU cooling fins became totally clogged every 6 months or so.
Unless you have filters like the HEPA filters used in air purifiers, plenty of small dust particles will pass through. Compare the screen filters on an X1000 to a HEPA filter and you'll see that only the largest dust particles are being filtered by those screens. I suspect that over-ventilating without high quality filters might actually bring more fine dust into the case.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Hans-Joerg Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans-Joerg Frieden »

tonyw wrote:All you gotta do now is buy eight female-female gender-changers !!
I read this message out of context and was quite freaked out :)
NOTICE: If you want to contact me, use E-Mail. I cannot be contacted via the forum/private messages anymore