Advice on 2nd Video Card for X1000

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

Advice on 2nd Video Card for X1000

Post by amigasociety »

Selling off some other vintage PC goods so I can afford a 2nd 27" display for my X1000 and a 2nd video card.

My X1000 is a FC system with 4650 video card from over 2 years ago.

Plan on buying a 2nd video card and want advice on what video card I should get that is fairly quiet, can work fine with 4650 still inside, and offers me the best chances that it will work with whatever 3D methods comes in the future for Amiga OS whether it be from Hyperion or someone else like A-eon, etc...

Would hate to buy a 2nd video card that ends up not working for 3D for X1000 when it comes one day.

I know that last one might be hard to answer but a best guess on a card that "should" work will suffice.

Thanks

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Advice on 2nd Video Card for X1000

Post by LyleHaze »

amigasociety wrote:
Would hate to buy a 2nd video card that ends up not working for 3D for X1000 when it comes one day.

I know that last one might be hard to answer but a best guess on a card that "should" work will suffice.
As you said, until it has released, it's all guesswork.
HOWEVER, Here's a link to a page from a guy who seems to know something about Radeon cards under AmigaOS: :lol: :lol:
http://hdrlab.org.nz/projects/amiga-os- ... igaos-4-x/
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Advice on 2nd Video Card for X1000

Post by daz »

amigasociety wrote:Selling off some other vintage PC goods so I can afford a 2nd 27" display for my X1000 and a 2nd video card.

My X1000 is a FC system with 4650 video card from over 2 years ago.

Plan on buying a 2nd video card and want advice on what video card I should get that is fairly quiet, can work fine with 4650 still inside, and offers me the best chances that it will work with whatever 3D methods comes in the future for Amiga OS whether it be from Hyperion or someone else like A-eon, etc...
All the below is as I understand it, and probably subject to change...

There are currently 2 planned routes for 3D, Gallium with 4,2 - your current card will be supported by this.

Trevor has paid for warp3d for RadeonHD, but that is not available yet, and last we heard this would be available for HD5000 and HD6000 series cards, as these are quite similar.

TJ
The two choices available to you are:
Get a 3D supported PCI card, e.g. Radeon 9250 - these are still available new for China these will work now, but not be very fast. Make sure you get one with a 128bit data bus.

Get a HD5000 or HD6000 series card, Depending on how important 3D is to you pick one with higher number.

I have a HD6570, works well and is single slot, a HD6850 - dual slot + needs Power connector, also works well. *

Note you can fit both a dual slot card and a single slot card at the same time, you'll lose access to one of your PCI-e x1 slots, but this works fine.

You could probably install 2 dual slot cards, but you'd need a monster power supply and you'd lose access to 2 of your PCI-e x1 slots...

As has been mentioned check Hans's website for a list of supported cards.

Let us know what you decide.

Regards
Darren

(*) Both cards work 2D and compositing under AOS4, and full 2D/3D under Linux.