Slow USB write speed

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
softwarefailure

Slow USB write speed

Post by softwarefailure »

Is it normal that USB writing speed is very slow on the X1000? It takes around 20 minutes to copy a 300 MB file to my USB flash drive. Copying this file from my USB flash drive to RAM takes only a few seconds, though. Is it normal that writing is so slow?
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Slow USB write speed

Post by sundown »

softwarefailure wrote:Is it normal that USB writing speed is very slow on the X1000? It takes around 20 minutes to copy a 300 MB file to my USB flash drive. Copying this file from my USB flash drive to RAM takes only a few seconds, though. Is it normal that writing is so slow?
I just copied a 300Mb file to a USB stick in 1:49 & the same file to a USB drive in 1:16. there are some slow USB sticks out there, but I suspect your copy was with USB1.1.
I recall a time when USB2 wasn't working for me, I only had one layout in Kickstart/kicklayout that ended with MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd. In my case, I had no return character after that last line, when I added one, USB2 started working. Something to check.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
ZeroG

Post by ZeroG »

It's normal that reading is a lot faster than writing for USB flash drives.
Just check some manufacturer's specification for USB flash drives.
xenic

Post by xenic »

softwarefailure wrote:Is it normal that USB writing speed is very slow on the X1000? It takes around 20 minutes to copy a 300 MB file to my USB flash drive. Copying this file from my USB flash drive to RAM takes only a few seconds, though. Is it normal that writing is so slow?
I just tested copying a 300 MB file from ram: to a USB flash drive and it took 1:26 (one minute 26 seconds). Unless you are using a really old flash drive or a defective one, I'd say 20 minutes is not normal. It sounds about right for USB 1.1 though.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE