BT Broadband wifi

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
SteveH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

BT Broadband wifi

Post by SteveH »

Does anyone know how to get the X1000 to connect to a BT Broadband wifi hotspot? I have a BT Broadband account, so from my Windows laptop I can freely connect to a nearby wifi hotspot - but when I try doing the same with the X1000 (using PCI wireless card and Prism2 driver), I can't get a connection.
I guess I need to edit my wireless--startup to authenticate my connection - does anyone know how to do this? The entry currently reads:

Code: Select all

C:SetPrism2Defaults SSID BTwifi-with-FON MANAGED
If I can connect to BT wifi hotspot, it saves me having to change my router's security to WEP every time I want to get online with the X1000.
Thanks
Steve
ddni

Re: BT Broadband wifi

Post by ddni »

Sorry not sure.
An alternative to wifi is home plug ethernet. I use them and they work great.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Or a wireless bridge. I've used one on my X1000 without any problems; it is USB powered and has good range.
xenic

Post by xenic »

SteveH wrote:If I can connect to BT wifi hotspot, it saves me having to change my router's security to WEP every time I want to get online with the X1000.
Thanks
Steve
I'm guessing that you need to switch to WEP because prism only supports WEP. I use a NETGEAR WNCE2001 ethernet WiFi adapter which has more recent security options. It has a builtin HTML setup page so there is no need for external programs. Maybe it's the same thing that danbeaver is calling a wireless bridge. It plugs into the X1000 ethernet port and works well for me. It comes with a USB cable that can be used to power the device so that it comes on when you turn on the computer.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Yes, a wireless bridge is an Ethernet-to-WiFi adapter; mine is a Zuni ZR301F that can be logged into and changed into a wireless bridge, wireless router, or a wireless extender. It cost about 30 USD a couple of years ago.