Why & Should CPU Core 2 be higher temp than Core 1 ?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

Re: Why & Should CPU Core 2 be higher temp than Core 1 ?

Post by amigasociety »

What version of X1KTemp.docky are you running.

I believe some old versions may have had issues?

I am on 53.9 (06/05/2013)

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I have not until today tried X1KTemp.docky. I downloaded it from OS4Depot and installed it this morning.

As others have noted, my Core2 temp was reported as 2-3 deg C higher than the Core 1. Typical numbers were:
Case 34-35
CPU 50-52
Core1 57-58
Core2 60-61

I kept on getting Ringhio warnings whenever Core2 temp went over 60 dec C, and since it is predicted to be a hot day today, I decided to make some modifications.

My case had two fans sucking air into the case: one at the back, blowing air more or less at the CPU and graphics card, the other at the front, blowing air through the gaps between the three HDDs. I always suspected that there was some "rebreathing" of warm air at the back, so I pulled it to bits and moved the rear inlet fan to the side of the case. It now sucks air from the side of the case and blows it directly towards the CPU.

The CPU temperatures have all dropped several degrees as a result. Now Core2 remains at about 58 deg C, even though the room is hotter.

The docs for the docky claim that the absolute maximum temperature within the CPU cores is 85 deg C. I am trying to have that confirmed. I do remember seeing a quoted figure a long time ago, but I forget what it was.
cheers
tony
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

And you can adjust the temp docky to only tell you if higher. I think I set mine higher than it was like 60. It was on 57 or something stock.

Highest I see mine go is 58 during hot days.

Today all day running the X1000 and it shows 47 and 49 for my cores. ;-)

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

It's interesting how these topics come up. I recently contacted Adam Barnes, the Technical Director of Ultra Varisys and asked him a related question about the special CPU heatsink supplied with the Nemo Motherboard.

His reply:

The heatsink is custom – we designed it and we get it made. On that basis there’s nothing off-the-shelf you could replace it with – the fixings are specific to the (Nemo) board layout. The PA Semi CPU on Nemo will probably be rated for well over 85 degrees C junction temperature – maybe as much as 105 degrees C given that it’s an extended temp part aimed primarily at
military customers."

His other non-official comment was : 65 degrees C? Yawn!" ;-)

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Trevor, in other words..... "The AmigaOne X1000 is an Alien Grade Computer". ;) :mrgreen:

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Thanks all, and Trevor especially for putting my mind at rest :)
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

tonyw wrote:I have not until today tried X1KTemp.docky. I downloaded it from OS4Depot and installed it this morning.

As others have noted, my Core2 temp was reported as 2-3 deg C higher than the Core 1. Typical numbers were:
Case 34-35
CPU 50-52
Core1 57-58
Core2 60-61

I kept on getting Ringhio warnings whenever Core2 temp went over 60 dec C, and since it is predicted to be a hot day today, I decided to make some modifications.
You can set the warnings in the tooltypes. I have the following set.

FAHRENHEIT=NO
(LOCAL_WARN=40)
CPU_WARN=60
CORE1_WARN=70
CORE2_WARN=70

So far, I've yet to see any temp hit 60C, even on 100F days here, what ever that is in C. :-D

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
AndyGarton

Post by AndyGarton »

Btw it certainly is odd that the second core runs hotter, or even gets significantly hot at all (i.e. because it isn't being used yet). Did anybody find out why by any chance? If not, perhaps you could ask Adam next time you're talking to him Trevor? Not important of course, but interesting :)

(That's spooky Ken, I've set my warning thresholds exactly the same as you!)
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

AndyGarton wrote:Btw it certainly is odd that the second core runs hotter, or even gets significantly hot at all (i.e. because it isn't being used yet). Did anybody find out why by any chance? If not, perhaps you could ask Adam next time you're talking to him Trevor? Not important of course, but interesting :)

Probably because the cores are body to body and metal (as other materials aswell) tend to conduct heat (some better, some worse).
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

AndyGarton wrote:Btw it certainly is odd that the second core runs hotter, or even gets significantly hot at all (i.e. because it isn't being used yet). Did anybody find out why by any chance? If not, perhaps you could ask Adam next time you're talking to him Trevor? Not important of course, but interesting :)

Think of Core 2 as Core 1's fat cousin. Sits there doing nothing and getting fatter and always hotter. :D

Can't wait for Amiga OS 4.2 to wake up the fat cousin.

TJ

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor