Why & Should CPU Core 2 be higher temp than Core 1 ?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Why & Should CPU Core 2 be higher temp than Core 1 ?

Post by tonyw »

... and give her some exercise...
cheers
tony
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

.. and give her some exercise...
Her and me both! ;-)

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
abalaban
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by abalaban »

trevordick wrote:It's interesting how these topics come up. I recently contacted Adam Barnes, the Technical Director of Ultra Varisys and asked him a related question about the special CPU heatsink supplied with the Nemo Motherboard.

His reply:

The heatsink is custom – we designed it and we get it made. On that basis there’s nothing off-the-shelf you could replace it with – the fixings are specific to the (Nemo) board layout. The PA Semi CPU on Nemo will probably be rated for well over 85 degrees C junction temperature – maybe as much as 105 degrees C given that it’s an extended temp part aimed primarily at
military customers."

His other non-official comment was : 65 degrees C? Yawn!" ;-)

Trevor
Hi Trevor,

As I based the values over a previous statement from you can I assume that I can update the CPU max temp to 105°C?
Last edited by abalaban on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmigaOne X1000 running AOS 4 beta
AmigaOne XE/G4
Amiga 1200/PPC 603e + BVision PPC
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Hi Alex,

You are linking to and quoting from a non-open forum
Not that i can access it, but still... ;-)

@Trevor

Thank you for that comment...i was trying for two years to get an answer from AmigaKit about the possibility to change/upgrade the heatsink in my X1000...now i finally have the answer that it will never be possible (unless someone designs and builds one - preferrably using heatpipes) ;-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
abalaban
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by abalaban »

[quote="Raziel"]Hi Alex,

You are linking to and quoting from a non-open forum
Not that i can access it, but still... ;-)

Yes thank you Hubert for pointing this issue to me, I corrected my message accordingly.
AmigaOne X1000 running AOS 4 beta
AmigaOne XE/G4
Amiga 1200/PPC 603e + BVision PPC
embe

Post by embe »

To everyone who is interested in cooling optimization for AmigaONE X1000 NEMO MoBo, please visit my Online Shop at http://www.marcus.computer.

It has launched today, January the 30th, 2015.

Unfortunately I was not able yet to translate the site into English. So bare with me, I will do this in the next couple weeks.

Here are some results of our cooling sets:

•quad LED: case 30° Celsius, CPU 38° Celsius
•silent 80: case 31° Celsius, CPU 38° Celsius
•super silent 80: case 30° Celsius, CPU 37° Celsius
•silent black 120: case 31° Celsius, CPU 39° Celsius
•silent white 120: case 29° Celsius, CPU 38° Celsius
•blue 120: case 32° Celsius, CPU 39° Celsius
•red 120: case 32° Celsius, CPU 39° Celsius

Kind regards
Marcus
Marcus Bräuker
Computerhandel und IT-Dienstleistungen
http://www.marcus.computer
http://www.marcom.systems
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

@EMBE

I suggest you read Trevors post on page two about the X1000 having a custom heatsink and fan because commercial ones won't fit and that the current one is more than enough, Mines never gone over 50°c so is still well below the 85°c lower limit.

I tirned off x1ktemp docky as it's just taking up space telling you everything is well within safety limits.
embe

Post by embe »

Guys, I do know all this as I am in contact with the manufacturer about this:

>"The heatsink is custom – we designed it and we get it made. On that
>basis there’s nothing off-the-shelf you could replace it with – the
>fixings are specific to the (Nemo) board layout. The PA Semi CPU on
>Nemo will probably be rated for well over 85 degrees C junction
>temperature – maybe as much as
>105 degrees C given that it’s an extended temp part aimed primarily at
>military customers."<

My cooling Solutions are basically made on the fact that some users have thermal, but more important, noise issues!

I find it a bit frustrating, that in a friendly community like Amiga is (and I am in love with C= since my first VC20), I find people here, telling me that my developments are not necessary and I would not know what I am talking about.

If you are, from the beginning of my Business Launch, telling other interested people, that the products are not necessary, what does that tell about you?
That is not very mind open and also not qualified. Because I did spend a lot time and money in my Case Mods. Now you are killing my reputation without objective validation.

However, I know that the NEMO Board is told to be made by a manufacturer who sells to Mil customers. But that does not mean the NEMO fulfills any MIL-STD-xxx. It's not.

Also let me tell you this: That Nemo can handle higher temperatures, does not mean, that the heat that it gives to the chassis, is healthy to other components within. They are most likely not specified for that. And the more active components you have in the chassis, the temperature is increasing of course. So the cooler the hottest part in the chassis is kept, the better for the whole system. That is simple physics and mathmatics. A cool system also extends the lifetime of the whole system.

Could you not simply let other users decide if they like or need my Moddings and not destroy my dream, to be part of this community with valuable and nice products, that help people to have a unique and lovely Amiga Computer that is silent and properly cooled?

Regards
Marcus
Marcus Bräuker
Computerhandel und IT-Dienstleistungen
http://www.marcus.computer
http://www.marcom.systems
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

Gentlemen,

From the"Forum Posting and Rules of Conduct"
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... p?f=9&t=69
This message board does not try to be a community portal. There are a number of AmigaOS-related community portals like Amigans.net, AmigaWorld,net or Amiga.Org for this purpose. As such, unless the forum's description explicitly states otherwise, we would ask you to not engage in any off-topic discussion, or in fact any discussion that is not support related. If you have doubts about whether a certain post or topic is appropriate, do not hesitate to contact a moderator or admin.
So, unless Hyperion is now marketing heat sinks... the support forums are probably not the right place for advertising.

Of course, I do not speak for Hyperion. I just try to help with product support.
Thank You for your consideration.
nexus
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nexus »

embe wrote:Guys, I do know all this as I am in contact with the manufacturer about this:

>"The heatsink is custom – we designed it and we get it made. On that
>basis there’s nothing off-the-shelf you could replace it with – the
>fixings are specific to the (Nemo) board layout. The PA Semi CPU on
>Nemo will probably be rated for well over 85 degrees C junction
>temperature – maybe as much as
>105 degrees C given that it’s an extended temp part aimed primarily at
>military customers."<

My cooling Solutions are basically made on the fact that some users have thermal, but more important, noise issues!

I find it a bit frustrating, that in a friendly community like Amiga is (and I am in love with C= since my first VC20), I find people here, telling me that my developments are not necessary and I would not know what I am talking about.

If you are, from the beginning of my Business Launch, telling other interested people, that the products are not necessary, what does that tell about you?
That is not very mind open and also not qualified. Because I did spend a lot time and money in my Case Mods. Now you are killing my reputation without objective validation.

However, I know that the NEMO Board is told to be made by a manufacturer who sells to Mil customers. But that does not mean the NEMO fulfills any MIL-STD-xxx. It's not.

Also let me tell you this: That Nemo can handle higher temperatures, does not mean, that the heat that it gives to the chassis, is healthy to other components within. They are most likely not specified for that. And the more active components you have in the chassis, the temperature is increasing of course. So the cooler the hottest part in the chassis is kept, the better for the whole system. That is simple physics and mathmatics. A cool system also extends the lifetime of the whole system.

Could you not simply let other users decide if they like or need my Moddings and not destroy my dream, to be part of this community with valuable and nice products, that help people to have a unique and lovely Amiga Computer that is silent and properly cooled?
Hi Markus,

I am glad that you offer such specific solutions for the X1000! In the beginning, as I got my X1000, the first thing I did was replacing the fan and I wasted much money on different fans and "rotation speed limiting"-devices (do not know how these are called in english). I did that *not* because the CPU gets too hot but I simply wanted to have more silent system! And I wished there had been a complete solution with a bigger cooler and a silent fan!

Compared to more powerful and way more energy consuming and, thus, more hotter PC-CPUs .. the X1000 is noisy!
However, everybody may decide himself if he wants to change that or not (-- you got a message over your website because I want to further reduce noise :) )

Nevertheless, LyleHaze has a point here. You should promote your shop at amiganews.de, amigaworld.net, etc. The hyperion-forum is intended for AmigaOS-Software-Support only (-- as far as I know). Once, there are serious reports of X1000-Hardware-problems (hopefully, never!), that might change. However, then still, I guess, advertising is not allowed here. And I am afraid that this is the reason for the critics of some people here.

So, I wish you good luck with your X1000 solutions. Just promote them more sensible in appropriate places :)

cheers,
nexus