10 degrees difference on Radeon HD5870 - AOS and Ubuntu

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: 10 degrees difference on Radeon HD5870 - AOS and Ubuntu

Post by Hans »

Srtest wrote:The overall CPU temperature reaches 60 and the cpu+fan are working fine.
Are you sure that the CPU's fan is running fine? Did you just open up the machine and check to see if it's sucking lots of air through the heat-sync?

If it's the CPU temperature that's the problem, then why are you blaming the GPU?
Srtest wrote:As I said on Linux it is fine.
IIRC, Linux also dynamically throttles the CPU. However, like the GPU, the CPU will heat up if you have it running at max load. So, you still need to make sure that your cooling is in order.
Srtest wrote:What is a failure? to my understanding the CPU can work at 85 degrees so it's not about that. I don't know yet how to test it without the docky so maybe it could get more than 60.
Of course you're not getting overheating failures, because your system is being shut down by software long before that point is reached. If your machine genuinely were overheating, then you woudl start getting random crashes after your machine has been running for a while, and those crashes would go away again after you've allowed it to cool off.

Could you please list all of the temperatures that the x1000temp docky gives? That's ambient, CPU, Core 1, & core 2. Please give your machine time to heat up before reading off the numbers.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

Srtest wrote:..to my understanding the CPU can work at 85 degrees so it's not about that...
Yes, the CPU can work at 85 degrees.

The processor in the X1000 is rated to 105C. This is the "extended range" part.
The slightly lower rated non-extended part is rated to 100C.

The temp sensor chip claims +- 1.5 C for the local temp and +- 1 C for the remote (cores and CPU) readings.
"Reasonable Caution" would set the limits somewhere below 104C by whatever margin you feel comfortable with.

In either case 60 is a very low limit, and even 85 is 20 degrees below the rated temp.
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

LyleHaze wrote:
Srtest wrote:..to my understanding the CPU can work at 85 degrees so it's not about that...
Yes, the CPU can work at 85 degrees.

The processor in the X1000 is rated to 105C. This is the "extended range" part.
The slightly lower rated non-extended part is rated to 100C.
True.

However, I don't think that I've seen my CPU's temperature exceed 50 C. If Srtest's CPU is routinely hitting the 60 degrees while idling, then I suspect that either the fan isn't running, or the heat sync has a poor thermal connection to the CPU (too much or too little thermal grease?). That's why I asked Srtest to post all of the measured temperatures, including the ambient one.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Hans, 60 deg C is easy to reach.

I have a fan in the side of the case, blowing air directly at the CPU, and right now (0830 Sunday) I have:

Room ambient: 22
Case ambient: 37
CPU: 48
Core 1: 56
Core 2: 59

I've set my "alarm" settings to 70 deg C.
cheers
tony
abalaban
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by abalaban »

@All

You are all debating about default warning values. If those default values does not suit you then you can change them using tooltypes in the docky icon. I agree the CPU default warning threshold is low (25°C below the maximum temperature Trevor told me via email at that time, i.e. 85°C).
On the other hand if Srtest is experiencing automatic shutdown then this has nothing to do with those warning levels, instead this means that the docky detected one of the critical temperatures have been reached, which, as is written in the documentation, means either the CPU has reached 85°C either the ambient temperature in the case has reached 45°C both temperatures have been acknowledged by Trevor at that time.
If the automatic shutdown is of any inconvenience one could change the command executed when one of the critical temperature is detected using the CRITICAL_CMD tooltype as I already hinted in my previous message here.

Note: The CPU is NOT the only electronic component in the case, despite the CPU is sold to work above 60°C the SB600 is given to work up to 105° as long as the ambient temperature is below 45°C. This is where the second critical temperature comes from.
Last edited by abalaban on Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmigaOne X1000 running AOS 4 beta
AmigaOne XE/G4
Amiga 1200/PPC 603e + BVision PPC
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

tonyw wrote:Hans, 60 deg C is easy to reach.

Okay, I guess that the extra fan that I installed back when I had a passive Radeon HD 4850 makes a sizeable difference then.** Here are my temperature numbers:

Room: 22

Idle:
Case ambient: 32
CPU: 41
Core 1: 46
Core 2: 43

Running povray for several minutes:
Case ambient: 33
CPU: 43
Core 1: 49
Core 2: 45

I tried running Composite3DDemo and povray at the same time to see if I could get the GPU to heat up the case a bit more, but my Radeon HD 7770 doesn't even break a sweat. Plus, the graphics card vents half its air directly out of the case via a vent next to the monitor connectors.

Your CPU's temperature above the case ambient temp. is 11 degrees celsius, while mine is measured at 9-10 degrees. I'd say that the temperature differences are pretty similar; within the measurement accuracy, in fact. If Srtest's CPU temperature is also round that level higher than the case's ambient temperature, then his CPU cooling is similar to ours.

Hans

** NOTE: I also replaced the CPU fan with a quieter one.
abalaban
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by abalaban »

Hans wrote:Okay, I guess that the extra fan that I installed back when I had a passive Radeon HD 4850 makes a sizeable difference then.** Here are my temperature numbers:

Room: 22

Idle:
Case ambient: 32
CPU: 41
Core 1: 46
Core 2: 43
I don't use the official X1000 case other than that my motherboard is unmodified (fan, cooler, etc.) and I'm using a fanless Gfx card which probably does not help the ambient case temperature, here are my numbers :

Case ambient: 31
CPU: 40
Core1: 46
Core2: 43

I don't have the room temperature but it is surely below 22°C as it is automn here and I run the heater to keep the temperature around 20°C.
AmigaOne X1000 running AOS 4 beta
AmigaOne XE/G4
Amiga 1200/PPC 603e + BVision PPC
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

Case: 43c

CPU: 57c

Core1: 63c

Core 2: 65c

CPU fan + GPU fan are working consistently.

No more shutdowns. Thanks to all and the matter is resolved.
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

Srtest wrote:Case: 43c
The CPU temperature is 14 degrees above the case temperature, which is a bit larger than on Abalaban's machine and mine, but not unexpected with a case temperature of 43. So, your CPU heat sync and fan are indeed working fine.

Do you know what the room's temperature is/was? Do you live in a hot climate, or have the sun shining directly onto the case? That would explain the high case temperature of 43 C. Otherwise it does sound a bit high, even with a power hungry Radeon HD 5870.
Srtest wrote:No more shutdowns. Thanks to all and the matter is resolved.
Good to hear.

Hans
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

Hans wrote:
Srtest wrote:Case: 43c
The CPU temperature is 14 degrees above the case temperature, which is a bit larger than on Abalaban's machine and mine, but not unexpected with a case temperature of 43. So, your CPU heat sync and fan are indeed working fine.

Do you know what the room's temperature is/was? Do you live in a hot climate, or have the sun shining directly onto the case? That would explain the high case temperature of 43 C. Otherwise it does sound a bit high, even with a power hungry Radeon HD 5870.
Srtest wrote:No more shutdowns. Thanks to all and the matter is resolved.
Good to hear.

Hans
Did some further testing with a special surface thermometer and (I don't really need it as when I touch it it is extremelly hot) the GPU measured in an idle state a whopping 54c so I guess the CPU indicator is heavilly influenced from the GPU's metal or something as it is by far the hottest thing there. Opening the case reduces the ambient case temp to 38c and the CPU to 50c.

This is the Middle East it's always hot... but right now it is the beginning of winter so the room temp I guess is what you'll consider hot in 23-24c.