Amiga OS 4.1 FE 4GB ram support?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
OoZic

Amiga OS 4.1 FE 4GB ram support?

Post by OoZic »

This week I have installed the FE edition of AmigaOS 4.1.6 on my X1000, including the SWAP partition mentioned in the manual.... feels a bit faster now after rebooting so that is a good thing :)

But in the information it says there should be support for more as 2GB. As I have 4GB in my X1000 I was thinking the WB should show 4Gb now, but it only shows 2GB? Is the SWAP partition needed for the >2GB support? Do I need to do more to make the SWAP partition work in case it is needed for the bigger ram support?

Other question is about the Radeon 1.2 driver. The update isn't free for X1000 owners? I thought it is, but am not allowed to download it :(
Using the old drivers from my 4.1.6 install now...

My version of 4.1.6 FE is already registered here, did it right away after receiving FE...

Hope you guys can help me out :)
ZeroG

Re: Amiga OS 4.1 FE 4GB ram support?

Post by ZeroG »

But in the information it says there should be support for more as 2GB. As I have 4GB in my X1000 I was thinking the WB should show 4Gb now, but it only shows 2GB? Is the SWAP partition needed for the >2GB support? Do I need to do more to make the SWAP partition work in case it is needed for the bigger ram support?
It will allways show 2GB ram, if you have more ram it is only available to software that uses the new API.
http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?p=1131
Other question is about the Radeon 1.2 driver. The update isn't free for X1000 owners? I thought it is, but am not allowed to download it :(
It is free, but you might need to contact AmigaKit:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/vie ... =32#747902
zappa2009

Post by zappa2009 »

I get my Radeon1.2 with AmiSphere.
So I think its free for X1000-Users.
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

OoZic wrote:This week I have installed the FE edition of AmigaOS 4.1.6 on my X1000

[...]

My version of 4.1.6 FE is already registered here, did it right away after receiving FE...
BTW, there is no such thing as a 4.1.6 FE.

4.1.6 is the colloquial name some people use for AmigaOS 4.1, update 6. This was what you had before (I assume), plus a number of smaller updates delivered through AmiUpdate.

The new release is called AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition (often shortened to FE). So the Update 6 has now been superseded by the Final Edition.

As for registrations, you probably had a registration of your original OS 4.1 and have now made a new, separate registration for your Final Edition, using the serial number on the back of the leaflet. Correct?

(If not, you won't be able to get future updates through AmiUpdate for FE).

Best regards,

Niels
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

OoZic wrote:This week I have installed the FE edition of AmigaOS 4.1.6 on my X1000, including the SWAP partition mentioned in the manual.... feels a bit faster now after rebooting so that is a good thing :)
Delete the swap partition, X1000's do not use it. On machines with less ram the swap partition allows them to access memory locations where there is no physical ram in an emergency. The X1000 already has physical ram in all memory locations so swap will never be used.
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

Severin wrote:
OoZic wrote:This week I have installed the FE edition of AmigaOS 4.1.6 on my X1000, including the SWAP partition mentioned in the manual.... feels a bit faster now after rebooting so that is a good thing :)
Delete the swap partition, X1000's do not use it. On machines with less ram the swap partition allows them to access memory locations where there is no physical ram in an emergency. The X1000 already has physical ram in all memory locations so swap will never be used.
Severin, never say never :) Remember Bill Gates said (or maybe he didn't - He denies it years later...) that 640KB of memory was enough. Anyway some interesting reading:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/25 ... y-it-.html
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!
328gts

Post by 328gts »

ZeroG wrote:
It will allways show 2GB ram, if you have more ram it is only available to software that uses the new API.
I know we haven't heard much of anything from Hyperion on any AmigaOS work but it would be nice to ram above 2GB show up on WB even though we know that supposedly the extra ram is being used by software ;)
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
vox

Post by vox »

Hope you guys can help me out :)
If you have the real Radeon HD driver install or can download it from AEON, you better replace it then FE demo one, its less limited.

Yes, newer RadeonHD drivers arent free. I just wonder when items from Quickstart guide page 5 will be in download area.

On memory: It does not see above 2GB mem but your RAM disk can handle more since FE.

My bigger worry is that closing apps does not free up memory that much. Esp. when using Odyssey, AmiStore and Ehancer candies
I do have a feeling memory is just going down Glad to have that 2GB+. Hope it will be improved.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

ZeroG wrote:

That blog entry is bone old...has this feature been introduced in the customer version of AmigaOS4 yet?
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg