Final Edition Boot Oddity.

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I copied the original System to a spare partition and installed FE to DH0.
I then set amigaboot quiet to N (no) in CFE. That brought up the Amiga boot menu where I could select which Amiga system I wished to boot from.

It did not boot.

CFE presents on the Amiga boot menu those partitions which have a bootable system partition, but that only loads in one of the Kickstarts. After Kickstart loads........nothing.

Using the two mouse buttons to bring up the Early Startup screen, the first drive
in the Select Boot Device list was SB0...SB0? That is a Linux drive ??? The other drives listed were,
SB0
DH0
SB0.1
dh2.1
CFIDE0

Say WHAT?

Those other drives/partitions have FAT, or EXT3 file systems on them with various kernels
and are (of course) marked bootable, all priority 0. Hm...what to do?

The easy solution was to select and boot from DH0 and use Media Toolbox to set the boot priority of DH0 to +1. That works....Whew!

P.S. Spell Checker wants to change amigaboot to Thingamabob. Why didn't I think of that. :lol:

P.S.S. Perhaps oddity was poorly chosen, maybe Undocumented FEATURE would have been better.
And I have not installed the Extras surprize package yet..........SURPRIZE! :o
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Final Edition Boot Oddity.

Post by tonyw »

Your "SB0" and SB0.1" show that you have two partitions called "SB0". Diskboot has changed the name of the second one to prevent duplication.

Also you have two partitions named "DH2". I suggest that you change one of the "SB0" and one of the "DH2" to prevent the clash.

You can call them anything, they don't have to be "DH-something". I must admit I don't know how many characters you can use here.
cheers
tony
mechanic

Re: Final Edition Boot Oddity.

Post by mechanic »

Those are not partitions on Amiga drives.
They are all bootable partitions on Linux (MBR) drives.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.