X1000 ventilation

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
xenic

X1000 ventilation

Post by xenic »

I opened my X1000 to clean it and realized that the fan in the lower front of the case is sucking air with no way for external air to enter if the front door is closed. Are we supposed to keep the front door open during operation? The vent above the front fan has no fan so it appears that any air the fan is pulling is coming from inside the case through the upper vent. Is that intentional? Recirculating the internal warm air doesn't seem very useful to me.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Raziel

Re: X1000 ventilation

Post by Raziel »

I don't know which case you are using, but i'm guessing the R3 one from Fractal Design?

If you open the front door and press in the fan shields they will come loose and can be opened.
Now if you look closely on both sides just behind the front door you see from top to bottom some grates which provide the air that those two front fans suck in...pretty clear to see btw...so...what case do you have?
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

Slightly related comment:
The X1000 cases (Fractal R3) have another separate airway.. the power supply (bottom mounted) sucks air in from under the case and out the back.
There is a filter under the power supply, and it's usually the first one to get clogged. But it's out of sight and out of mind.

X1000 owners: Remember to check the filter UNDER the power supply occasionally. It can be removed easily by sliding it to the rear, nothing needs to be opened.

We will now return you to your regularly scheduled forum. :)
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

xenic wrote:I opened my X1000 to clean it and realized that the fan in the lower front of the case is sucking air with no way for external air to enter if the front door is closed. Are we supposed to keep the front door open during operation? The vent above the front fan has no fan so it appears that any air the fan is pulling is coming from inside the case through the upper vent. Is that intentional? Recirculating the internal warm air doesn't seem very useful to me.
No need to keep the front door open. Like Raziel said, the front fan(s) can pull in air via ventilation holes/grilles along the sides and bottom of the case.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
xenic

Post by xenic »

@Raziel & Hans
I have the Fractal case and after a second look I see that the fan is recessed by about a half inch and can pull in air form the side vents. However, it seem like the system would get more fresh air if the upper front vent were blocked so that all the incoming air would be external.

@all
Does anyone know of a smaller case I could put my X1000 motherboard into?? I don't need all those drive slots and empty space in the Fractal case.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

xenic wrote:Does anyone know of a smaller case I could put my X1000 motherboard into?? I don't need all those drive slots and empty space in the Fractal case.
Depends on your taste i guess and what are you are willing to spend

BlackMAGMA

ATX (Mini) Cases
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg