X1000 boots to black with Radeon R9 270X and 2.7 driver

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

Re: X1000 boots to black with Radeon R9 270X and 2.7 driver

Post by amigasociety »

Olrick wrote:As your troubles began when you swapped your graphics cards, did you make sure that some dust didn't fall in the PCIe slot, creating some kind of shortcut, aggravated by the successive swaps ?

The beta wiki article I wrote, when I beta tested the X1000, which summarizes information about Nemo's firmware, upgrade and rescue, has been made available in the public wiki:
http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Updating_Nemo_firmware
Remind me to never update my firmware. :twisted: :twisted:

I did it once.... years ago as I owned my X1000 now over 3 years. Wow it has been a very long time!

Unless it has to be done again... I never plan to touch mine.

Seems to fragile to take any chances even with a backup.

Wonder why this firmware does not have an easier method to restore if it should go out. Does something actually "kill" the firmware where it has to be removed and a new one inserted? Seems like a crazy thing to have to deal with.

Seems like it should be a write to any-time I want to kind of thing with no stress of doing.

Or is that just not technically feasible.

Like instead of firmware..... make it a small SSD device or other writeable media the firmware can be copied and easily removed and replaced.

Seems like a bad design to me but I am no electronic guru so what do I know <hehe)

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Olrick

Post by Olrick »

Seems to fragile to take any chances even with a backup.
Firmware update may be harmfull, that's why you have to understand and follow precisely a detailed procedure.
If you don't need to update your firmware, don't do it.
If you're not sure of what you're doing, don't do it.

In the case of Epsilon, with the right information, he would have known that his revision was the latest and wouldn't crash his CFE.

In the case of Nemo, the rescue firmware allows you to recover from bad update, unless you did something stupid like putting a jumper on the RESCUE WrEn pins and erase your safety belt.

@Epsilon
Did you put a jumper on these pins ?

If not, then you should be able to boot on the rescue firmware. But it seems you can't, that's why I wonder if the problem is not elsewhere, raised when you tried your R9 card, the problem then circumvented your CFE update and is now preventing your X1000 from booting.

Destroying your firmware and your rescue firmware is not so easy and I don't think you did it.
God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; and Wisdom to know the difference.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@Olrick and other betatesters

There remains one question, which is still in limbo.

*IF* the firmware is bad/flat/erased/whatever, *SHOULD* there still be something on the serial console when turning NEMO on?
I've got the impression that at least some hardware self-tests should show up, shouldn't they?
(Like [HELO] [DRAM])

Because Epsilon got nothing on turning on, plus he got the dreaded LED 2 lit up.

If someone could confirm that even with a dead firmware there oughta be something on serial on power up, it would be safe to say that the power drop did something more frightening to his board and we could move on looking for the next steps...

Maybe even the step to sending the hardware to AmigaKit :-(
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

My solution is to use a standard cfe.bin, a JTAG cable and a ROM programmer. :D

Epsilon said his machine lost power. I don't know what caused that but wonder if it caused the firmware to corrupt which froze after the power faded.

I'd also test with no memory. A power loss or surge or even static spark gap could have arisen in that slight moment. Removing possiblte faults could get CFE back.

There could also be a software issue over seiral. I always seem to have trouble when debugging my X1000. I can never get it working first go. I use ZTerrm on my Mac with a serial-to-USB adaptor. At times I fear my X1000 is gone. Then it comes back.
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

And get some UPS on that X1000. ;)

I have mine on a decent one so if there is a power hiccup, hopefully the UPS does its thing and my system continues to run so I can safely finished and power down.

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

There is nothing wrong with the firmware, as he is not getting anything on serial, then it has to be a hardware issue.
Remember his machine was working even after flashing (im guessing corrupt firmware). Until it was turned off.
You should still be able to boot up with rescue, I have never had a nemo not boot up with rescue.

If I had to guess, its sounding more and more like a spike and that has damaged the 3.3v circuit.
However nobody is going to know for sure until the board is inspected.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Christopher Follett wrote:If I had to guess, its sounding more and more like a spike and that has damaged the 3.3v circuit.
This would be different to an earlier power issue that was VGA related IIRC? The LED2 light does give a hint. And if so then is looks like it needs to be sent away for repair. :o

We need some Authorised Australian X1000 repair technicians. :)
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Hypex wrote:
Christopher Follett wrote:If I had to guess, its sounding more and more like a spike and that has damaged the 3.3v circuit.
This would be different to an earlier power issue that was VGA related IIRC? The LED2 light does give a hint. And if so then is looks like it needs to be sent away for repair. :o

We need some Authorised Australian X1000 repair technicians. :)
I am pretty sure Christopher was talking about getting a (paid) vacation in Australia very soon...errm :-D ;-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Good point Raziel. I was thinking in the wrong direction! :P
Epsilon
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Epsilon »

Hi All,

Quick update - today I have carefully packaged and shipped my X1000 board to AmigaKit to inspect. Hopefully the issue(s) identified are fixable - I look forward to being able to use it again soon.

Has been a week now of not being able to use my X1000 - definitely missing it!

Catcha,
Epsilon