What is CFIDE0:?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: What is CFIDE0:?

Post by sundown »

zzd10h wrote:@Sundown
Please, could you send your partition scheme as snapshot ?

Thank you
I don't create partitions bigger then I need, first is an 1MB FFS partition for amigaboot.of, next 7 are SFS\0 system partitions, all othere are SFS\02. The x1000 will boot off the first bootable partition it finds if all the boot prioritys are the same (0). If I want to assign a boot partition, I bump that partitions priority to 1.
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I can't read that Linux post on the Hyperion forum (seems I'm not authorised to read that forum at all, which is fine by me).

However, I can't understand why you would want to revert from FAT32 to an older format like FAT16 (years older). As I said before, probably massstorage doesn't have the ability to read that old format, which may be why it can't recognise the CF card.
cheers
tony
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

tonyw wrote:...
Now, the disabling of the device driver. I'm not sure what you did (you mention renaming, but that's not what you were supposed to do). You were supposed to edit the Kicklayout file with Notepad, find the line that says:
"MODULE Kickstart/cfide.device.kmod" and simply put a semi-colon (";") in front of the line, so that it reads:
";MODULE Kickstart/cfide.device.kmod". (All without the quotes, of course). Do not leave any empty lines in the file or it won't work.
There's something here that I still don't understand. What looks like the Kicklayout file to me and Notepad doesn't have any lines that begin "MODULE Kickstart/." What I find is attached.

What's a good way to get to those MODULE files? I guess meanwhile I will try booting OS4 without any CF card installed (I can get back here with my tablet if necessary).
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

In a shell:

notepad sys:kickstart/kicklayout
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Kilo:

Your pic shows the contents of the Kickstart drawer. Lower down that page (amongst the "K"s) is a file called Kicklayout. Kicklayout is an ASCII file (you can read it in Multiview and edit it in Notepad).

As Sundown said, open a Shell and type "Notepad SYS:Kickstart/Kicklayout". Then you will see the kicklayout file which will look like this:

[ A lot of descriptive text first...]

; Configuration name
LABEL OS4.1-FinalEdition
; Exec name
EXEC Kickstart/loader.of
;
; PPC native modules
;
MODULE Kickstart/kernel
;
MODULE Kickstart/FastFileSystem
MODULE Kickstart/SmartFilesystem
;MODULE Kickstart/JXFileSystem
MODULE Kickstart/CDFileSystem
;
MODULE Kickstart/battclock.resource.kmod
MODULE Kickstart/bootmenu.kmod
MODULE Kickstart/bootimage
MODULE Kickstart/con-handler.kmod
MODULE Kickstart/console.device.kmod
MODULE Kickstart/dos.library.kmod
MODULE Kickstart/diskboot.kmod
MODULE Kickstart/diskboot.config
MODULE Kickstart/diskcache.library.kmod
MODULE Kickstart/elf.library.kmod
[more lines like those]
MODULE Kickstart/cfide.device.kmod
[more lines like those]

The "LABEL" token introduces a new set of modules that the Boot menu can offer for you to choose. Each module is listed on a single line after the token "MODULE".

See the line containing "JXFileSystem" ? I have added a semi-colon in front of the line. That makes the loader ignore that line. If you look in the listing of your Kicklayout, you will find the line that says:
"MODULE Kickstart/cfide.device.kmod". All you have to do is move the cursor in front of the word "MODULE" and type a semi-colon there, then save the edited file. That will prevent the CF card device driver from being loaded.
cheers
tony
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Sheesh! You'd think I had never modified kicklayout before! Thanks for being a kindergarten teacher.

Okay, I now have an ugly caricature of OS4.1FE and with the CF card replaced I can rouse this more usable Ubuntu.

As for OS4, I have a feeling it is going to take me weeks, maybe months, to get it back in shape. One should really backup now and then, but the closest I came to it was making DVDs to transfer goodies from my XE to my SAM640 in 2011 and again for moving stuff to the X1000 in July 2013.

Maybe Google will be my friend and tell me how to get the 1920x1080 screen back on OS4 (Ubuntu does it automatically!), how to teach it to read my Logitech keyboard, how to make YAM find my e-mail (even just to look for Internet:, not SPACE: when I run it), how to connect with my printer (one thing OS4 does FAR better than UIbuntu!), how to FTP to my web page (both OS4 and Ubuntu), how to get back a simultaneous Dopus5 screen along with Workbench, etc., etc., and also etc. Nothing I've never done before, but.

I'm hoping that once Ubuntu boots fully it is no longer dependent on the kernel. I'm about to find out as I attempt to reformat the CF card to FAT32. If I'm wrong, I think it is only a matter of going back to the install DVD to run GParted.

(10 minutes later) Okay, I didn't ruin anything. The CF card looks a bit weird with nothing but kernel4.1 in it, but I didn't see any need to save all the other junk. Now let's go see if Workbench truly notices the change.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

kilaueabart wrote: Maybe Google will be my friend and tell me how to get the 1920x1080 screen back on OS4 (Ubuntu does it automatically!)
UBuntu uses the same mechanism to set up the graphics driver as OS4 or any other operating system - leave it to the automatic configuration. Why is yours different?
...how to teach it to read my Logitech keyboard
Should be automatic, as with any otherUSB keyboard.

All in all, I think that you would be better off formatting your system partition and re-installing Final Edition. It will only take you 30 mins at the most and you'll be confident of the result.
cheers
tony
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

tonyw wrote:
kilaueabart wrote: Maybe Google will be my friend and tell me how to get the 1920x1080 screen back on OS4 (Ubuntu does it automatically!)
UBuntu uses the same mechanism to set up the graphics driver as OS4 or any other operating system - leave it to the automatic configuration. Why is yours different?
I vaguely remember having to get a new RadeonHD 2 Driver. I wondered if OS4 automatically knew how to access it, but since Ubuntu gives me full resolution, I suppose it must be on the main motherboard where any OS could get it.
...how to teach it to read my Logitech keyboard
Should be automatic, as with any otherUSB keyboard.
I remember having to install a program called Allkeys to make the right Alt key function as R^Amiga. I have reinstalled Allkeys, but I haven't remembered how to work it yet.
All in all, I think that you would be better off formatting your system partition and re-installing Final Edition. It will only take you 30 mins at the most and you'll be confident of the result.
I wonder how many times I've done that this last week. Okay, once more first thing tomorrow, after I save the current DH0: content to another partition. I'm not optimistic that anything will come out different, but this is one of the times that I hope I'm wrong.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

This is a bit late but I wonder if the CFIDE device comes up in the early startup menu? If this is the case then it could have been disabled from there and the risk to rendering the system unbootable avoided. If it indeed can be, I haven't check yet.