What is CFIDE0:?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
kilaueabart

What is CFIDE0:?

Post by kilaueabart »

Somehow I lost OS4.1FE completely on my X1000. With help from others (AmigaWord.net and AEON) I finally got amigaboot.of in BOOT: and OS4 now boots (with a horrible low-res screen) but Workbench informs me that it is trying to fix the screen and I should close all windows. Sure enough, right behind that alert is a Disk_Warning informing me that "Volume has broken Cluster Geometry! Can't mount it!" If I click "OK" I get rebooted (to the same situation).

The screen has a ghosted disk icon labelled CFIDE0 (along with BOOT, two disk icons I don't ever remember seeing on Workbench before) and I get informed it is Uninitialized.

How can I fix that? It doesn't show up in MTB, although by not OK'ing the Disk_Warning I was able to get something to tell me that its Start Cylinder, Start Block, Lowest Cyl, and Lowest Block are all 2048!
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: What is CFIDE0:?

Post by sundown »

Un-formated CF card inserted most likely, pull it out to verify.
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Yes, the message is coming from Massstorage, which is trying to mount the Compact Flash card in the slot on the motherboard. That card is not formatted propery and massstorage is having trouble trying to mount it as a FAT32 volume.

As Sundown suggested, either remove the card from the clip on the motherboard or disable "CFide.device.kmod" in Kickstart.

If, on the other hand, you have a Linux installation on the card, then I'm afraid it would appear to be screwed.
cheers
tony
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Hard to believe my Ubuntu-kernel-holding CF card is bad. Linux is what I've been using since I lost OS4 a week ago.

On my Ubuntu desktop, it is now known as 4.0 GB File system. OS4 had quit even seeing it after I reformatted it from FAT16 to FAT32 (or was it vice-versa; I'm not good at remembering things anymore--I just checked with Disk Utility: It's FAT16 now), so I wonder why Workbench sees it but MTB doesn't.

Anyway, I'll try the Kickstart disablement. I hope how to do so will be obvious.

Well, no, my first guess was wrong. I tried renaming it with a ";" in front, and now OS4 quits booting while the red progress bar has about 6 cm to go. :oops:
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

So you are saying that:
1) The CF card is OK because it boots Linux without a problem.
2) It appears on the workbench if it is formatted as FAT16, but not in MTB.
3) You tried to disable loading the device driver, but whatever you did killed the boot process.

Right so far?

The card is recognised and mounted by massstorage (the same program that mounts USB sticks). I don't know if MS can handle FAT16, but it can certainly handle FAT32 (as on most USB sticks). I would suggest reformatting the CF card with FAT32 when you can.

MTB should show the device driver (cfide.device) in its list of devices in the first window that opens. When you select that device and click Start, you should see the CF card as Unit 0 (it may be Uninstalled or any other state, but it should be there in the MTB window. Do NOT try to use MTB to install or format it or any other FAT32 medium - it will write an Amiga RDB on the medium and expect you to break it up into Amiga partitions, which are for the most part invisible to other OSes.

Before someone jumps in and tells me that I'm an idiot, you CAN Install a CF card or USB stick with an Amiga RDB and then have a FAT32 partition on it, but that won't work with Linux or a Windows machine. If you want to use it for Linux or Windows (or both), leave it as pure FAT32 and format it on a PC or under Linux.

Now, the disabling of the device driver. I'm not sure what you did (you mention renaming, but that's not what you were supposed to do). You were supposed to edit the Kicklayout file with Notepad, find the line that says:
"MODULE Kickstart/cfide.device.kmod" and simply put a semi-colon (";") in front of the line, so that it reads:
";MODULE Kickstart/cfide.device.kmod". (All without the quotes, of course). Do not leave any empty lines in the file or it won't work.

I think that you tried to rename the file with a semi-colon in front of the name. The original name was still in the Kicklayout, so when the system tried to boot, it could not find "cfide.device.kmod" and halted. Go back and rename it to its original name (you may have to put the name in double quotes to get it to work). Then use Notepad to edit the kicklayout file as I said earlier.

Once you have reformatted the CF card as FAT32, fixed the file name and edited the Kicklayout file properly, you might have more luck. There is nothing wrong with the device driver.
cheers
tony
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

@TonyW
"The card is recognised and mounted by massstorage (the same program that mounts USB sticks). I don't know if MS can handle FAT16, but it can certainly handle FAT32 (as on most USB sticks). I would suggest reformatting the CF card with FAT32 when you can.

I faced exactly the same problem than Kilaueabart on my X1000 during my first FE installation :
http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/v ... mpost95042

I commented the "MODULE Kickstart/cfide.device.kmod" and all worked well.

Now, seen this topic, for a try, I uncommented this Kicklayout line and :

Could it be because my CF is FAT16 formatted ?

If yes, does I have to (re)try FAT32 ?

(I used FAT32 during my first Amigans thread). I used FAT16 because of this good advice :
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... t32#p33159

Thank you for your reply.
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

Changing the CF card from fat16 to fat32 would be an interesting experiment. My card is fat32 formated with my Linux kernel & I have no issues booting into os4 & no changes to my kicklayout file were required.
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

@Sundown
Please, could you send your partition scheme as snapshot ?

Thank you
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

tonyw wrote:...

The card is recognised and mounted by massstorage (the same program that mounts USB sticks). I don't know if MS can handle FAT16, but it can certainly handle FAT32 (as on most USB sticks). I would suggest reformatting the CF card with FAT32 when you can.
I'm almost certain I reformatted as FAT16 because someone on an Amiga group told me I should. Or did it come that way? It used to show up on Workbench; I think I may have added kernels that way (but my dementia is advancing beyond my 80 years). In any event if I was indeed able to reformat it once, I should be able to figure that out again. AFTER I get OS4 back.
I think that you tried to rename the [Kicklayout] file with a semi-colon in front of the name. The original name was still in the Kicklayout, so when the system tried to boot, it could not find "cfide.device.kmod" and halted. Go back and rename it to its original name (you may have to put the name in double quotes to get it to work). Then use Notepad to edit the kicklayout file as I said earlier.
Well, I'm going to have to reinstall OS4.1FE from scratch, including reformatting dh0:, so that will replace the original name. I find the bare new-installation WB in extreme lo-res so different from what I'm used to that I didn't think of hunting down Notepad for that chore, but I will this time. Thanks for putting up with my stupidity.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

@zzd10h
That could be the advice I took, or something similar in one of the Linux threads.