Too many problems. Booting, Switching on, Resetting..

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Too many problems. Booting, Switching on, Resetting..

Post by tonyw »

I don't think power cuts are likely to have damaged your machine, but it is possible, for instance, if there is a big inductive load somewhere near your house (like a big electric motor), that could make a "kick" or voltage surge when the power is shut off.

Just one question: Are you sure that the power LED for your machine is not connected to the Power Switch pins? If it were, it would short out the Power On circuit and cause it to switch on immediately the PSU is powered.
cheers
tony
MarkHughes

Post by MarkHughes »

tonyw wrote:I don't think power cuts are likely to have damaged your machine, but it is possible, for instance, if there is a big inductive load somewhere near your house (like a big electric motor), that could make a "kick" or voltage surge when the power is shut off.

Just one question: Are you sure that the power LED for your machine is not connected to the Power Switch pins? If it were, it would short out the Power On circuit and cause it to switch on immediately the PSU is powered.
Thanks for the idea, However I have already checked and indeed unplugged all those small wires and it still switched on without them (I also tested that the buttons are open circuit and close when pressed). I may double check when I get home but I feel the act of unplugging them entirely would be enough to eliminate that possibility. I will double check everything before I return it just to make sure. I would hate to waste anyone's time over something I might be able to sort myself.

I actually do have a couple of motors in the 3KW range here (Compressor and car lift) however I don't have my Amiga on when I am working in the garage. Still, My GF has allready suggested I get a decent surge protector for all my computers which I will look into once I am back home.
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

Just an idea or two...

I also have had times of very erratic booting, sometimes first time, others 10 of more attempts before it worked, I have found most of my problems were down to bad sata connections. The first time it happened I tracked it down to a loose power lead on my DVD-RW, so I made up a new power lead that runs all 4 drives using connectors from some CPU modification pack that comes with assorted power connectors and woven tubing to hold your wires etc. I had no problems for maybe a year after that. The second time I started getting a similar problem I checked power leads and they were still nice and tight but the data leads weren't so I bought a set of those (30 cm, one end right angled, locking) and my system has been rock solid again. it's very rare it doesn't boot first time now (until I click submit :D ).