Installing MATE no fun!

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
kilaueabart

Installing MATE no fun!

Post by kilaueabart »

I wondered on AmigaWorld about installing Ubuntu MATE, suspecting it might be too hard for me to try.

Christian kindly responded with a PDF of instructions, and I have spent five or six hours today trying to use them.

One of the puzzling early failures resulted in thousands of repetitions of two lines that I can't imagine ever forgetting after it happening twice, but there was something about too many FAT ends or something in the first line; the second line said something needed to be >=2. This was when booting kernel 4.2, so I thought maybe there was something wrong with the kernel dearchive, and I redid the download and dearchiving. Since then CFE reports "file not found" or something to that effect. Strange, because vmlinux-4.2 is there according to both OS4 and Ubuntu 12.04 file listers.

The last two times "boot -elf -noints -fatfs usbdisk0:vmlinux-4.2" failed to find the file, I changed the last part of the line to "cf0:vmlinux-4.3," thinking that the new kernel I had just installed ought to work OK. And sure enough, up came the install program!

End of problem? No! The fact that I had to choose UInited States instead of Hawaii for my time zone seemed minor. When I got to the pick keyboard from list part, I was in a bit more trouble. I know my Logitech wireless is not just a keyboard, but did anything on that list apply? No idea, so I just left it at American or whatever was first on the list.

Then I was supposed to configure my network. Unfortunately I had forgotten to see if Google would tell me what that means, so I just accepted the suggested hostname. Then England/Great Britain was the only named source country for downloads, unless I type in another likely name. I went with the UK.

The instructions were to leave the HTTP Proxy line blank, and type ctrl+alt+F2. I'm not sure which key on my keyboard is Alt, "Alt" or the Windows key. In OS4, LAlt is LAmiga, Windows is Alt. In any event I ran the program this far twice, trying both options. Both times I ended up in a CLI called Softbox or something like that, with no out that I know of except the box's reset button.

I can't help wondering what might happen if I disobeyed the instruction to NOT detect keyboard layout when given the option, but too many hours gone today. I may try that tomorrow; I obviously won't be any worse off.
xeno74

Re: Installing MATE no fun!

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote:Both times I ended up in a CLI called Softbox or something like that, with no out that I know of except the box's reset button.
Please read the task 12 carefully.

ubuntu_MATE_15.10_installation_instructions_A1-X1000.pdf

Please look on the pictures. You will see what you have to do.

In the CLI you have to create a directory in "/lib/modules/" with the name of your used kernel, i.e.

Code: Select all

mkdir /lib/modules/<name_of_your_kernel>
e.g.

Code: Select all

mkdir /lib/modules/4.2.0_A-EON_AMIGA_one_X1000_Nemo
You posted in the X1000 general area and not in the Linux only area.

PLEASE answer in the following thread: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3181
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.