New Prototyping Board for Xorro

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: New Prototyping Board for Xorro

Post by broadblues »

The difference may be an American vs European, but this is a strip board with essentially all strips already in use. Every strip is pre connected to a pin of Xena. Over here that is quite unexpected. Perhaps if the Xena pins were connected to 2 or 3 pins, then an empty strip was left free for whatever.. Or even a "sea of holes" all unconnected for maximum flexibility without needing to cut the traces up.
Hmm okay, starting to see the problems, first improvement might be a single horizontal "precut" a few holes up from the bottom.

Or even at 4 /5 hole intervals as is common for digital IC based strip boards.

I'm guessing then that the length is due to the number of required strips for all the lines connectable? IN which case mu cut it then comment was less helpful than intended :-)
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

Yes!
On some days just being able to describe something counts as successful.
I think some of the Xena pins are repeated, so max length was probably just an unfortunate error.

It's a very high quality board, quite well made.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

There you go!

All individual holes with only 2 or 3 in strip to Xena.

Yes you can get at the PCIe connector, but can you imagine trying to put a SerDes chip onto the board(?) Not me.

I would like to see a all holes PCI x8 board (that will fit into the X1000 case) that does not cover the x1 slot at all. The overflow of Xena pins could be routed up the rear edge of the board and extend 2-3 holes horizontal. To fit X1000 case the board can be taller. This would leave the x1 slot free for a short Ethernet or multi serial card that some people might wish to use even without the Xorro card.

This idea of Xena/Xorro was supposed to be for hobbyists and experimenters.

I do recall way back when this was just a glimmer of an idea suggesting using a 2 ISA slots or a standard PCI slot to connect whatever chip(s) on board to now what is Xorro. The reason being availability of those protoboards. There are no PCIx8 boards, and I paid over 170$ for the board I have. It's not only that it is very difficult to work with, but I can not imagine anyone trying to duplicate any project when the first instruction is "cut 209 traces testing each one for electrical isolation". That's never going to happen.

I guess the first thing required is an Okey-Doakey from A-eon, then a few people to decide on a basic design, then approve what may be produced, ... and build.

I did ask a few years ago for a 4 port (PCIex1) serial driver, but the only replies were of the nature "Nobody uses serial ports anymore.".
Damn frustrating.

And no more bitching from me.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

mechanic wrote:...
I would like to see a all holes PCI x8 board (that will fit into the X1000 case) that does not cover the x1 slot at all. The overflow of Xena pins could be routed up the rear edge of the board and extend 2-3 holes horizontal. To fit X1000 case the board can be taller. This would leave the x1 slot free for a short Ethernet or multi serial card that some people might wish to use even without the Xorro card.
Could be done, but wouldn't that leave the Xorro card with no mechanical support and no backplane access?
That sounds like a design for failure. Maybe I'm being just a bit dramatic, but I like to screw my cards down.

mechanic wrote:And no more bitching from me.
Well that would just take the fun out of everything! :lol:

Seriously though.. there are a couple board layout programs that are free or very reasonably priced. "Eagle" is my own favorite.
Not only could you design your own Xorro board, but you could also include signal buffering, isolation (optical or magnetic), and
even a serdes chip if that's where your heart leads you. OR for that matter you can design an entire new product from scratch,
though you might want to prototype it first to make sure you have all the details right. A Xorro card might be useful for that. ;)

I have done at least a half-dozen boards with Eagle already. that does not make me an expert, but it's enough to prove that it's
not too difficult. If _I_ can figure it out, I'd say we all have a fair chance at least. :roll:

It is SO much easier to reply from a real keyboard than it is from a cell phone!
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

though you might want to prototype it first to make sure you have all the details right. A Xorro card might be useful for that. ;)
Yeah :( Proto board first.

Perhaps a full board ( with bracket and screw down ) offered with either serial interface to the x1 slot or Ethernet or non chipped, board only, at a lower cost.

Of course any chipped board would require necessary drivers. Still a Ethernet device would provide that function and free up a PCI slot.

The dimensions of such board still to be determined.

As for on board interfacing to Xena, You certainly would not want to include devices for all the Xorro pins, and if its an "all holes" board then it should be easy enough to do as a home project.

I do not know if the Xena pin designation for X1000 and X5000 to Xorro are the same, but if not then the board should be marked with Xorro pin numbers, or not at all (yuk!).

Your turn.

broadblues?
xenic?
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.