Gigabit network speeds

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Gigabit network speeds

Post by sundown »

I'm currently using an 8139 10/100 card in my x1k & would like to up-grade to
10/100/1000. I found a PCIe 8169 card & was wondering if anyone else is using a PCIe network
card & getting gigabit speeds.

http://www.amazon.com/RTL8169-Gigabit-D ... B00NQ2J9EW

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
tommysammy

Re: Gigabit network speeds

Post by tommysammy »

sundown wrote:I'm currently using an 8139 10/100 card in my x1k & would like to up-grade to
10/100/1000. I found a PCIe 8169 card & was wondering if anyone else is using a PCIe network
card & getting gigabit speeds.

http://www.amazon.com/RTL8169-Gigabit-D ... B00NQ2J9EW

Ken
I have this card installed. It works well without Gigabit. TCP stack doesn`t support Gigabit
AmigaOne X1000 Betatester A1-X1090
AmigaOne X1000/4GB Ram/Saphire Radeon 7850 1GB/256GB SSD HD/2GB CF Card/RTL8169Network
davebraco
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by davebraco »

I'm not able to test speed as I don't have a NAS anymore but I own a PCI gigabit card in the X1000 (RTL8169) and If my memory serves well, FTP transfert to the NAS was about 15Mb/s, with the Sam460 10Mb/s. The transfert speed with a RTL8139 or the 3COM card but it was between 5 - 6 Mb/s.

We can't reach gigabit speeds but it's a nice improvement. (The 8169 can't easily reach gigabit speeds on other OS)
µA1 256mo SATA -> lend to a dev
A1200PPC 256Mo MediatorTX Radeon9250 SATA RTL8029 SOLO-1
Sam440ep 533mhz 512mo 64Go SSD
Sam460ex 1150mhz 2Go RadeonHD 6570LP ENVY24HT
AmigaOne X1000 4Go SSD R9 270X Catweasel MK4
AmigaOne X5000 -> work in progress
papaoskar

Post by papaoskar »

davebraco wrote:I'm not able to test speed as I don't have a NAS anymore but I own a PCI gigabit card in the X1000 (RTL8169) and If my memory serves well, FTP transfert to the NAS was about 15Mb/s, with the Sam460 10Mb/s. The transfert speed with a RTL8139 or the 3COM card but it was between 5 - 6 Mb/s.

We can't reach gigabit speeds but it's a nice improvement. (The 8169 can't easily reach gigabit speeds on other OS)
I use the gigabit with buildin ethernet which connection resides on the motherboard with linux only. It is a good and fast connection! I wonder why one cannot use it similarly on the AmigaOS side? My complete Network at home works with 1GB . Sad that I have to connect the ethernet cable every time I want to use AmigaOS to the buildin network card an back for use Linux.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Well, you could always invest in one more Ethernet cable and leave both ports connected. That's what I do.

Switch off the one you don't want to use from within each OS (in AmigaOS it's easy; there's no driver on your system).

Best regards,

Niels
papaoskar

Post by papaoskar »

nbache wrote:Well, you could always invest in one more Ethernet cable and leave both ports connected. That's what I do.
Switch off the one you don't want to use from within each OS (in AmigaOS it's easy; there's no driver on your system).
Best regards,
Niels
Thank you for your advice. I could free one port on my AVM7490 router. My Amigax1k has now two cables connected to the router. Now I can use 1GB speed for the linux part and one 100Mb for AOS4.1.
I am happy! Best regards, Heiko
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Not too old of a thread to not resurrect... :-)

Are there any plans to enhance/add Gigabit support to Roadshow (our TCP stack)?It wouldn't be a matter of supported LAN cards (Top poster said that a RTL8169 Gigabit works...without the Gigabit speed though)

I just switched ISPs to Vodafone Cable 100Mbit with a FritzBox 6490 Cable.
That router is capable of doing Gigabit transfers, but sadly my X1000 is not due to the two reasons.
1) The RTL8139 card can only do 10/100Mbit (btw, what chip is onboard NEMO? "Could" the X1000 do onboard Gigabit, if there were a driver for it?)
2) The Roadshow TCP stack can't do Gigabit

Both could be rectified, heck, i'd even buy a RTL8169 PCI card to get it working (if there won't ever be X1000 onboard ethernet support, that is) ;-)

I have tried the speeds on my LAN.
I used a 20m long LAN cable plugged directly into the router and stringed into the upper level and also a short cable plugged directly into the router.
I used a fairly new Win 10 notebook which can do Gigabit and it FLIES with a whopping 106MBit (vodafone speedtest) on BOTH LAN cables.
My X1000 obviously don't, even worse i can only squeeze 8MBit max out of the line for the Amiga (even with doing some tcp envvar optimizing, before that i only got 5Mbit) :-(
I also tried with a rather old Win 10 desktop and a 8139 card. The PC at least pulled off approx. 30MBit from the line, so i guess Roadshow could be optimized a little bit more still??

Is Olsen still working on Roadshow?

Thank you for ANY hints, especially hints regarding the tcp envvars
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

So, it seems that the onboard ethernet controller is capable of Gigabit speeds (PWRficient 10-Gigabit Ethernet)

My next question would be, if there are plans to support the X1000 ethernet (ever)?
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

Raziel wrote:My next question would be, if there are plans to support the X1000 ethernet (ever)?
Yes, of course. It has been a very difficult driver to write.
ExecSG Team Lead
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

ssolie wrote:
Raziel wrote:My next question would be, if there are plans to support the X1000 ethernet (ever)?
Yes, of course. It has been a very difficult driver to write.
Might you share a little bit more information about this?

I take it the driver is done and in betatest?

When do you think will it be ready for release?

And last but not least, what exactly was difficult?
I do love to read such adventures...if you got the time
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg