X1000 Monitor goes into sleep mode

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Nagasakee

X1000 Monitor goes into sleep mode

Post by Nagasakee »

Recently I took my X1000 to high school (where I am a technology teacher-ah, the irony!) and displayed the X at "Technology Night", where it was a big hit.

However after coming home a new problem has surfaced that never existed before I transported it back and forth...the X1000 boots fine and displays fine on a Dell 24" monitor (I believe it a 2412M) but goes into "sleep mode" after a few minutes. I think it no longer detects a video signal, though it works fine right up until it enters sleep mode. (I run 4.1 FE with all updates btw)

On a Windows PC I know the issue usually has to do with the PC and not the monitor. Any ideas guys?
Pocasset, Massachusetts USA
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: X1000 Monitor goes into sleep mode

Post by broadblues »

Sleep mode after a few minutes of activity or inactivity?

Did you check the settings in the screen blanker prefs?
Nagasakee

Post by Nagasakee »

Thanks for replying Andy. It may indeed have something to do with Screen Blanker prefs. First to be accurate, the monitor actually is a Dell 2313H, and the message is "Power Save Mode". This occurs during activity.

I check my prefs and Screen Blanker was set to 600. I thought it might be smart to remove all the numbers so it never went into power save mode, now it goes into power save mode within the first minute :(.

What should settings be ?
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

It shouldn't fall inot power save mode if there is activity and the blanker hasn't cut in, so it may not be realated to that.

Try unchecking the screenblanker in WBstartup so that it's not running at all, that will eliminate it from enquiries , so to speak.

(reboot after doing that ofcourse).
Nagasakee

Post by Nagasakee »

Even with screenblanker disabled it still goes into Power Save mode in about 2 minutes. I got another monitor of the exact same model and will swap 'em tomorrow to see if the problem is monitor or X1000 sourced. More then :)
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Nagasakee wrote:Even with screenblanker disabled it still goes into Power Save mode in about 2 minutes. I got another monitor of the exact same model and will swap 'em tomorrow to see if the problem is monitor or X1000 sourced. More then :)
If the monitor swap doesn't solve it i'd point your attention to the gfx card.

You had the X transported and the card might have come loose...enough to lose contact when it gets warm/hot.
You might want to try and press the installed cards into their slots a little and see if that helps.

There could also be a pin of the monitor cable been bend or something...too much possibilities...
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Nagasakee

Post by Nagasakee »

Update. I have the Radeon 6870 card, with two DVI connectors. I attached an identical Dell 24" monitor on second port with brand new cable. After 3-4 minutes both went out. I was running AmigaAMP at the time for "activity". I opened case, unscrewed card and resat it, though it appeared to be in fine and was still screwed in tight.

After 3-4 minutes both screens went black again. What was weird to me was that AmigaAMP, which was playing a CD, also ended a few seconds after screen went black.

So port, cable, monitor have changed, card resat...same symptoms. Any new ideas? (and thanks for the help!)
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Sounds like something is crashing to me. Eiher that or you have an issue with you gfx card.

Do you have a serial cable to capture a log, see if anything is showing there?
Nagasakee

Re: X1000 Monitor goes into sleep mode-solved

Post by Nagasakee »

OK, been a long time since I addressed this issue, but happily the problem was solved.

My X has a good Radeon card in it (6870) but apparently there have been a lot of fan issues with it, and a dying fan motor appearded to be my issue.

I started timing the display screen blankings. They went like this 1st time: 7minutes, 53 second; 2nd 5 : 12, 3rd 3:47, 4th 1:45 etc etc

Each time the Amiga "died" earlier, so I started to suspect heat. Sure enough the fan on the Radeon card was the culprit...it turned but with a lot of resistance and it turned slowly...so as I rebooted the residual heat appeared to shorten it's "lifespan".

Bought a close replacement fan on eBay, it runs at .43 amp instead of .50 and is a mm or so smaller on blade length, but the X1000 is back in the saddle again and has been running 12 hours today without a hitch, and I am writing this post on it.

It's actually kind of nice that this was NOT an X1000 issue, but a Radeon fan issue.

It's nice to be back using my favorite computer! And thanks again for the help on this forum, don't know what I'd do without you guys.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Did you have to buy a new fan? Can't you oil the old one and make it good for another few years' running?

Usually you have to peel back a sticker over the hub of the fan, you will find a neoprene plug that you can ease out. The shaft is then exposed and you can add a drop of sewing machine oil (no more). Try not to get the oil on the surface where the sticker has to go back or it will leak.
cheers
tony