PCIe to USB3 + UASP ,USB3.1, SATA3

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Srtest

PCIe to USB3 + UASP ,USB3.1, SATA3

Post by Srtest »

Is this (USB Attached SCSI) compatible with the X1000? will I be able to take advantage of this transfer protocol either via AOS or Linux? because it boosts the price of a PCIe to USB3 a little.

Maybe I should instead go 3.1 for future comaptibilty. Is such a card available to us?

Another option is to invest instead in a PCIe Sata 3 card: will I be able to boot AOS and Linux from it?

Either PCIe Sata 3 card or PCIe to USB3.1 card require the second PCIeX16 slot. Will it compete bus-wise with the Radeon on the current X16 slot and so hinder performance?
Srtest

Re: PCIe to USB3 + UASP ,USB3.1, SATA3

Post by Srtest »

Let me simplify my questions maybe that will get me an answer:

1. A general question about performance and actual gains: Will an expansion card (USB3.1 or SATA3) be able to take full advantage of the second X16 PCIe (at least 8GB/sec for USB3.1, 6GB/sec for SATA3) or will it compete with a modern Radeon card on the bus bandwith?

2. A question about compatibility and availability: USB3.1, SATA3, USB Attached SCSI (UASP) => from these what is compatible and available? is UASP compatible but simply isn't supported? if SATA3 is compatible does it allow AOS and Linux to boot from an attached drive?

3. A question about resources which is also the culmination of the previous ones: I can only go either way right now (USB3 will come with an external HD). Is simply getting a USB3.0 card and putting it in PCIe X1 the most beneficial? maybe going over the SATA3 on PCIe X16 route to get the most of the SSD that's already inside?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Will an expansion card (USB3.1 or SATA3) be able to take full advantage of the second X16 PCIe (at least 8GB/sec for USB3.1, 6GB/sec for SATA3) or will it compete with a modern Radeon card on the bus bandwith?
I think the answer to that one is obvious - it will compete with the Radeon. How much the two cards fight - how much bandwidth the two use - is something that I can't even guess at.
USB3.1, SATA3, USB Attached SCSI (UASP) => from these what is compatible and available?
None of them is supported by drivers for AmigaOS. However, any external drive designed to work as SATA3 should work in a downgraded fashion using current SATA connections.
Is simply getting a USB3.0 card and putting it in PCIe X1 the most beneficial?
It's not beneficial at all, since there is no driver for a USB3 chipset, so you would be wasting your money.
cheers
tony
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

Well, I'm planning on putting a hard drive in an external enclosure which is both sata3 and usb3 compliant for "always on" usage and when necessary switch it with storage drives while the internal drives are used for os work and program work so it is more about Linux (which supports sata3 & usb3) from that perspective, or, it could be about enabling more of the internal SSDs if it can benefit if only via the PCIe X16 hardware bandwidth allocation.
Srtest

Post by Srtest »

Even simpler: if I put a USB3.1 or USB3.0 + UASP will it work with AOS? I'm not refering to the upgraded bandwith/speed but simply compatibility.