During RAM Upgrade - Other Issues Addressed -Fixed

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
jdupuis

During RAM Upgrade - Other Issues Addressed -Fixed

Post by jdupuis »

Hi,

Thanks TonyW for input, first and foremost. Upgrading RAM come to find was the least of my issues including CFE. As briefly mentioned I set up my Amiga x1000 with the First Contact HD then disconnected for standby. I added two new SATA 1 TB HD's and two of my old 80 GB IDE HD's. I ordered my AmigaOne with the Radeon R7 250x Graphics Card. I ordered AmigaOS 4.1 FE to install myself. In short, I could not boot Ubuntu Remix. Replaced the Graphics card with a Radeon HD 6670. Did not like the performance of it in AmigaOS with the new drivers then reverted back to the R7 250x. Upgraded RAM. Basically made a lot of changes in short amount of time. Not good. My hard drives were not properly formatted back to accept AOS 4.1 FE, corrupt RDB's and found my second SATA HD with a bad block and found a bad SATA cable. All of these things together caused my undesirable "crash" if you will. Using my Mac I was able to Secure Erase my SATA and IDE HD's to recover them and Formatted them as MBR MS-DOS(Fat32). Plugged the First Contact HD in and booted up just fine. After which I installed new SATA cables and setting up my own HD with a fresh install of AOS 4.1 FE was able to install and set up one drive at a time to my current configuration. Running top notch now. The only reason I am posting this is that it is my hope that it may help someone else. The little troubles can build into one big issue. Just had to take a breath and do one thing at a time. Thanks to all who gave assistance as well. My AmigaOne x1000 and I exploited each other's strengths and weakness. It won but so did I. CFE modification was 100% not needed and I won't need to. First Contact Hard Drive on backup stand-by - always.

Cheers!!
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: During RAM Upgrade - Other Issues Addressed -Fixed

Post by tonyw »

Good to hear you got it sorted. Some people may not have had the patience to fix things step by step as you did.

Well done.

If there is a moral here, it's something like: SATA cables are awful. Their connectors are just about the worst I have seen in a lifetime of electronics.
cheers
tony
jdupuis

Re: During RAM Upgrade - Other Issues Addressed -Fixed

Post by jdupuis »

Absolutely!! There were 1,000 choices to get away from bulky SCSI and IDE ribbon. They chose the worst as Standard. Go figure! USB, was too obvious I guess.

Cheers!!
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE