HDMI dead?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
kilaueabart

HDMI dead?

Post by kilaueabart »

Last night when I finally turned off my computer, I noticed the monitor was dark, and playing with the mouse didn't revive it. No great concern; I have had the computer shut down on its own sometimes before.

But this morning, when I booted, I could hear the music that told me OS4 was booting, but my monitor kept telling me to "Check HDMI cable!" I panicked. I needed to e-mail a document to a bunch of people and I could only access the documents and mailing lists from the desktop.

Unplugging and replugging the cable didn't help. Finally I was able to dig up an old VGA cable, and now I have my monitor back, but I remain very concerned. What could have gone wrong, and how should I fix it?

My first (and so far only) guess is that the video card is conking out. I took a look at it. It looks sort of glued(?) to the mother board so obviously it's not an easy thing to replace if that is what I will need to do. I assume the problem does not lie in the monitor itself (a Samsung S23C570) since it works with the VGA cable, but what do I know. I'll try to find a way to test the cable on my TV, but why would a cable go bad if I never even touch it?

Advice? Advice on where to get advice? Please?
jdupuis

Re: HDMI dead?

Post by jdupuis »

Hi,

I would not be so quick on the video card going bad. Try going in to your monitor Set-Up Menu and Reset All or Reset All Defaults. For sure, check your HDMI cable. If you have DVI, check it out as well.
Then proceed to the Operating System graphic settings. Boot with OS CD/DVD. In other words, simple, easy to over-look stuff first, before jumping to conclusions about the most expensive part (video card).
<edit>
If worse comes to worse don't forget the WIKI: http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOne_X1000

Cheers!!

<edit>
HDMI connections are just as bad as SATA connectors. I think they were designed to fail after the first plug in. :D
Anyway, if the connector seems a bit loose or has wobble. I would change the cable.
Oh and I'm guilty of nodding off behind my computer while "trigger" finger does mischief :lol:
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

kilaueabart wrote:I took a look at it. It looks sort of glued(?) to the mother board
I think you'll find that the "glue" is just hot-melt glue that AmigaKit applied to prevent the card from falling out in transit. You should be able to remove it with care, then the card can be removed. But there is a little "tang" on the inner end of the motherboard connector that must be released before the card will come out of its slot.
cheers
tony
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

tonyw wrote: But there is a little "tang" on the inner end of the motherboard connector that must be released before the card will come out of its slot.
Isn't that the stuff the astronauts drank?

I have had some issues here with HDMI cables coming loose. Check another cable, check another monitor, and do remember to reboot between tries, to give the monitor a chance to identify itself to the graphics card.

Lyle
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

jdupuis wrote:Hi,

I would not be so quick on the video card going bad. Try going in to your monitor Set-Up Menu and Reset All or Reset All Defaults. For sure, check your HDMI cable. ...
Oh and I'm guilty of nodding off behind my computer while "trigger" finger does mischief :lol:
I really appreciate the ample helpful advice. And I apologize for giving eveyone junk to read. It turns out to have been another of my Stoopid Old Man mistakes. If I'm like this at 80-and-a-half, I'm not sure I want to hang on to be 81. The cable worked fine on the TV and I was still worried, when I discovered what was really wrong.

When I'm going to be away for more than I few minutes I tend to turn my monitor off to save electricity. I press a little button under the screen up and toward me to get the Power (Off) sign, then click again. What I apparently did two nights ago was push the button to the left, to a "Source" button that after several years of using the monitor I didn't even realize the purpose of. When I wanted to turn it on the next morning, it was looking for VGA! :oops:
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

As soon as I stop making stupid mistakes, I'll feel free to make fun of other people.
It will not happen this week, and next week doesn't look good either. ;)
jdupuis

Post by jdupuis »

I dare say that I hope I'm even still interested in a computer let alone use one when I'm 80. If you learned from it, than it's not a mistake, is it? I have "stupid" buttons on my monitor. I don't really want to know what they do. Know what I mean? ;)
Power, Video Input and that's about all there is to that. :D

Good Work, Sir!!

Cheers!!
C= A500 2 megs RAM with A590 w/40 MB SCSI HD and Workbench 1.3
C= A3000 25 MHz with Workbench 3.1
AmigaOne X1000 4 GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 GPU and AmigaOS 4.1 FE/Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS/Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
Sam460ex 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5450 2GB GDDR3 GPU, 3114 SATA Raid, ENVY24HT sound card and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

You won't get any criticism from me, either. Glad you found it OK.
cheers
tony